By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - id Boss: 3rd-Party Wii Development "Not Really Justified"

Arius Dion said:
Keep telling yourself that.

I'm sorry, was that for me?

In that case: do you know what a paradigm shift is? It's a very specific epistemologic concept. And no, a market focus shift does not qualify.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
mike_intellivision said:
Now, maybe it's just that we don't know how to exploit it, and Nintendo does because they made the Wii, and they're really that good. And I'm not trying to take away from those guys at Nintendo. Their games are awesome--I'm a fan, too. But as a company that doesn't make Nintendo-type games, the Wii is less of a compelling platform for us to really sink a lot of resources into.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6207773.html

This is a quote from the original interview -- obviously not picked up by Kotaku because it does not go along with the thesis it point to make.

Basically, a lot of people don't know what to do because the Wii shattered a lot of industry assumptions. It has caused a paradigm shift because graphical improvement is no longer the cornerstone to console success.

In the short run, some companies are just going to do what they have always done. This may not serve them well in the long run however.

Mike from Morgantown

I dissent. Graphical improvement did not grant success to GC and Xbox over the PS2. The only shift the Wii made was in market focus: they went for the untapped market of the audience that found games not accessible enough and overly complex.

This changed nothing for the traditional gamers, including the Nintendo core. And it's not a paradigm shift.

Tell that to all the people even on this site who still think that the PS2 was the most powerful last gen.  The differences in power between the consoles were very small, and nothing compared to this gen.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

WereKitten said:
mike_intellivision said:
Now, maybe it's just that we don't know how to exploit it, and Nintendo does because they made the Wii, and they're really that good. And I'm not trying to take away from those guys at Nintendo. Their games are awesome--I'm a fan, too. But as a company that doesn't make Nintendo-type games, the Wii is less of a compelling platform for us to really sink a lot of resources into.

This is a quote from the original interview -- obviously not picked up by Kotaku because it does not go along with the thesis it point to make.

Basically, a lot of people don't know what to do because the Wii shattered a lot of industry assumptions. It has caused a paradigm shift because graphical improvement is no longer the cornerstone to console success.

In the short run, some companies are just going to do what they have always done. This may not serve them well in the long run however.

Mike from Morgantown

I dissent. Graphical improvement did not grant success to GC and Xbox over the PS2. The only shift the Wii made was in market focus: they went for the untapped market of the audience that found games not accessible enough and overly complex.

This changed nothing for the traditional gamers, including the Nintendo core. And it's not a paradigm shift.

I agree completely. This deserved to be quoted. Nintendo didn't ABANDON anyone, they just wanted more people playing games. Their Fall Summit was CLASSIC Nintendo. Games of a WIDE variety. It's WHAT they do. I think if more developers realize that Nintendo wasn't trying to reinvent the lightbulb, but have more use one.

...If you have problems developing for the motion controls USE the Classic, or GC controller, if a gamer wants to play your game they will get what they need to play it. =/

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

theRepublic said:
WereKitten said:

Tell that to all the people even on this site who still think that the PS2 was the most powerful last gen.  The differences in power between the consoles were very small, and nothing compared to this gen.

Indeed. But even if they were perfectly equal, they would still be proof that graphical improvement was not "the cornerstone to console success".

The most you can say is that Nintendo, for the first time, totally sidestepped the idea of keeping pace in technical advancement with their competitors - note that it's not only graphics: sound, computation power, storage, network infrastructure...

That was a bold business move and one that is paying great dividends thanks to their new market.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

I keep seeing people bring up Madworld and how it would have sold better on the PS3/360. Would it have? Killer 7 sold terribly on PS2, and better on Gamecube if I'm not mistaken. The same holds true for Okami on PS2 and Okami on Wii. You cannot make an effective argument with a niche title. If the Conduit sells poorly, then you'd have a legitimate argument. This situation is similar to No More Heroes. Posters tried to say NMH tanked when its the best selling game ever produced by Suda51.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

This was a generational statement -- not necessarily a statement about the market leader. Each generation has made graphical strides in all the consoles.

And you are right, Nintendo went for something different and has moved the industry in a different direction. By definition, that is a PARADIGM shift.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

It's funny how Valve's boss gets props for condemning the ps3 but iD's boss gets bashed for condemning the wii. I guess it depends on the number of fans on x console.

About his logic, he really has a point from iD's perspective. I don't see their sort of games making any headways on wii. The second problem 3rd parties seem to have is deciding exactly what kind of wii game to release. Is it more profitable to churn out multiple "party" games or a game like Gears?

Another thing that has me curious is the purported "cheapness" of wii games. Games are made with computers using technology the studio already possess. This is a fixed cost thats already covered except the studio gets additional resources just to make game X. Aside from that, won't the greater cost of develpment be the maintenance of the studio itself? By this, I mean the personnel cost i.e employee wages. Therefore, from my understanding game X would cost around 20 million (add a few extra in case of a borrowed technology and marketing) if 50 employees making $100K/year were working on it for 4 years.

In that case, if you switch the people who were making ps360 games to wii games, how would there be a significant decrease in cost if these guys don't take a pay cut? Also, since wii games apparently take less time to develop, would these guys always be working on something to justify their paychecks or would they be fired and rehired or are we just going to have lots of studio downsizing as part of the paradigm shift to wii game production?

Someone please correct me if I'm off because I still don't understand exactly why wii games are relatively much cheaper.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

mike_intellivision said:
WereKitten said:

This was a generational statement -- not necessarily a statement about the market leader. Each generation has made graphical strides in all the consoles.

And you are right, Nintendo went for something different and has moved the industry in a different direction. By definition, that is a PARADIGM shift.

Mike from Morgantown

Again, no. Please look up the term. Innovative and lateral thinking applied to business decisions, maybe.

And how has the industry at large moved, exactly? Party games and shovelware existed on the PS2. Casual gaming existed yet in the form of singing games and quizzes and kid games.

Has the industry moved in a different direction because now the collections of minigames are played with a wiimote? The family friendly/party games are simply more under the spotlight because they are central in the Wii marketing strategy, instead of being a wealthy sideplate.

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Pristine20 said:
It's funny how Valve's boss gets props for condemning the ps3 but iD's boss gets bashed for condemning the wii. I guess it depends on the number of fans on x console.

About his logic, he really has a point from iD's perspective. I don't see their sort of games making any headways on wii. The second problem 3rd parties seem to have is deciding exactly what kind of wii game to release. Is it more profitable to churn out multiple "party" games or a game like Gears?

Another thing that has me curious is the purported "cheapness" of wii games. Games are made with computers using technology the studio already possess. This is a fixed cost thats already covered except the studio gets additional resources just to make game X. Aside from that, won't the greater cost of develpment be the maintenance of the studio itself? By this, I mean the personnel cost i.e employee wages. Therefore, from my understanding game X would cost around 20 million (add a few extra in case of a borrowed technology and marketing) if 50 employees making $100K/year were working on it for 4 years.

In that case, if you switch the people who were making ps360 games to wii games, how would there be a significant decrease in cost if these guys don't take a pay cut? Also, since wii games apparently take less time to develop, would these guys always be working on something to justify their paychecks or would they be fired and rehired or are we just going to have lots of studio downsizing as part of the paradigm shift to wii game production?

Someone please correct me if I'm off because I still don't understand exactly why wii games are relatively much cheaper.

The savings is in the amount of personnel needed on a Wii game vs. the amount needed on a PS3 or XBox 360 game. The generation of HD graphics is thought to be quite expensive. And there is a raft of statisical and anecedotal evidence which support the supposition that Wii games are less expensive to make.

And don't take my statement as bashing id, per se. Given id's market and emphasis, at least in the short run, I think it is taking the more prudent course.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Pristine20 said:

You're mixing things up, perhaps for the sake of criticizing other people.

What Valve said (correct if I'm wrong, but this is what I remember) was that they are not interested in PS3 development (though he said it quite harshly). What iD is saying is much more general, aimed at all third parties. I don't think anyone here is really surprised that iD wouldn't care about the Wii.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957