By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - id Boss: 3rd-Party Wii Development "Not Really Justified"

sorry, enter key got stuck.

Around the Network

sorry, enter key got stuck.

WereKitten said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
WereKitten said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

And Gears 1 was also hyped and marketed.

That's not the point. Ports could always be done. What is new is that you can develop multiplatform products using shared tools right from the get-go. It saves a great amount of time and money. Plus you can directly share many of the assets.

Less money spent to develop for a bigger market implies less risk.

That isn't actually true. Similar tools come from system similarities, not spec similarities. That's just a fallacy to assume similar specs save cost on their own. It's because of the Direct X system that 360 and Windows development is easier, not specs.

And that doesn't change the fact that HD development is still really high, and they can still take a while to develop, like GTA IV and RE 5 (and the latter doesn't even have the excuse of throwing out three builds before the final version).

You do understand that the PS3 doesn't use DirectX(1), and thus that multiplatform engines have to abstract out the library calls?

And that it's only because the consoles have grown powerful enough that you can develop in such abstractions spending much less time and money optimizing for the peculiar hardware, where with older consoles you would have had to separately optimize AI, graphics, I/O to the last bit if you wanted an acceptable performance.(2)

1. Duh! That's why I didn't mention it.

2. That does not save that much, nor does it mean doing what you can on the Wii would raise the cost too much to risk it (which seems to be an implication here).

1) then you're not addressing my initial point, that was that for the first time the PS3 amd 360 are powerful enough to be considered a single platform together with the PC

2) does not save that much?

You can develop a game for the 360, spending, say, 18M dollars.

Add 20% of that and for 21.6M you have a 360/PS3 game. Your target market has just doubled.

Assume 15 dollars of revenue per copy and you break even at 1.44M sold between the two consoles.

Enters the Wii from stage left.

You have to rewrite most of the code, downsample the textures, modify the geometries, maybe change some AI or number of enemies of set up pieces to accomodate the single cor, less powerful CPU. You must find a way to integrate Wii controls. You end up spending 5M on that (the same as the minimum investment for a PS2 game)

This new investment makes money if more than 500K Wii owners will buy the game.

Now seriously, by looking at past sales, if I am a third party developer and my game has no licensed character and a mature appeal, which bet would you take:

- sell 1.44M+ between PS3 and 360 for profit

- same as above, plus risk 5M more and spend more time in development, sell 500K+ on the Wii for increased profit

I am pretty sure that selling 770K on 360/PS3 is a lesser risk than selling 500K on Wii for most genres that have limited appeal on the "extended" audience.

your maths isn't so good. If the Wii version costs 5 million more and they get $15 per sale (your assumed value), then it only needs to sell 333K copies.

Then again if the game was built from the ground up on the Wii and was actually good. They could easily sell 500K and be in the profit zone. Look at CoD:WaW, the game is totally gimped compared to the HD version, but yet it has enough quality to push 1 million sales. I am pretty sure they have enough profit

^Forgot to specify it in the text, but I think it is assumed that due to the license fee and lower sale price a developer makes less money when they sell a copy for Wii than when they sell one for 360/PS3. So I took 10 and 15 dollars respectively. I don't know if  the $5 difference is realistic. If anyone have the right numbers, please jump in.

As to COD:WaW: yes, it sold 1M on the Wii. But it sold 8.44M on the PS3+360. When evaluating risks for a new shooter, I can't see how you can bring it as a positive example for the Wii.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:

^Forgot to specify it in the text, but I think it is assumed that due to the license fee and lower sale price a developer makes less money when they sell a copy for Wii than when they sell one for 360/PS3. So I took 10 and 15 dollars respectively. I don't know if  the $5 difference is realistic. If anyone have the right numbers, please jump in.

As to COD:WaW: yes, it sold 1M on the Wii. But it sold 8.44M on the PS3+360. When evaluating risks for a new shooter, I can't see how you can bring it as a positive example for the Wii.

fair enough on the calc then.

i used Cod:WaW as an example to prove that even a half asses done job on a well established name can sell well. Imagine if it was actually done nicely like the other two versions.

My point is sure it is a risk, but every platform is a risk. Wii shouldn't be any more of a risk if a developer does a good job. I know people are using hardcored games like Okami, and Mad World to proove they don't sell. However these game are nichie, look at Okami on PS2 130 million consoles or so and only 600K sold. Okami is almost at 250K on wii so far, which  isn't bad for a remake and a game that is extremley hard to find and not to mention the backlash it has had for capcom cutting off the final credits with who developed the game.

Now look at another example. RE4, which on Wii is the 4th version. Which has sold according to VGChartz 1.55million. It will probably beat gamecube sales in the end. This shows that even an old game that has had care put into it, can succeed.

So imaging if a new RE game rom ground up in the same style as RE4 was done. It would easily do 3 million. however instead they will do a cheap cashin on-rails, which will be a good game but not as good as a traditional RE game and will probably only sell 1million.

I know this is just one example.

The other problem is that with multiplatform releases (if there is a Wii version), is that the Wii version comes out months after, which by then has lost it's appeal. example being PES2009. Why would I want that if I am expecting to see a PES2010 soon. Howevever PES2010 still hasn't been announced for wii.

Now that could be to the shit sales of PES2009, but if the developers had brains they would realise that timing is everything. PES2008 did much better then PES2009 is doing (900,000 versus 40,000 sold).

Another mutiplatform example is EA Sports, ruined all the games with the lame looking covers (tiger woods especially looked like he crapped his pants) with the whole All Play crap.  I don't mind the All Play crap, but they should of used it as a addition for casuals rather then the main thing of the game.

They should of focused on the controls rather then how we can screw it up for gamers to get others to buy it.

Any way I dont want to rant too much more, as this is off topic.

Don't get me wrong I see where id is coming from as I mentioned in earlier posts, I am more annoyed with the actual developer who would not hesitate to make games on the GCN, and now they either do a half ass job or no game.

Around the Network

Ok. before people get into a fit about this people need to sit back and look at the company here.

facts about id

- id's main fanbase is on the pc
- thus their games are actually developed with pc in mind which means it would actually be cheaper to port their games to the 360/ps3 then to make a wii port
- they develop high end engines, just like epic the wii could possibly be seen as a threat to their business model as they have a vested interest in high end graphics

Finally, as much as it saddens me id haven't really made a great game in a long time. Who cares what they think anyway?

FaRmLaNd said:
Finally, as much as it saddens me id haven't really made a great game in a long time. Who cares what they think anyway?

Well, I think the only bigger game they've done after Quake III is Doom 3, which wasn't too bad even if it wasn't great. Quake III on the other hand was a huge success and supposedly a great game back then when it was released (never had the chance to play it then). Now they're re-releasing Quake III as a browser-based game Quake Live, which has seemed pretty good so far. Of course they've released a couple of smaller projects: Doom RPG, Wolfenstein RPG, and Wolfenstein 3D (iPhone). I doubt they were that bad. Though I only have more experience of Doom RPG, I liked it. I've also tried Wolfenstein RPG and it's seemed good so far.

By they way, all games that have id logo aren't made by id. Such games include Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (which apparently was pretty good), Quake 4, and Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars. Could be others too. Oh, and the upcoming Wolfenstein isn't made by id either; it's made by Raven (Hexen, Heretic, Quake 4, and probably some others I think).

All in all, the only not-so-great bigger game id has made (since Quake III, which could be considered great in this case) is Doom 3. That said, they haven't released any bigger titles since 2004 - that's five years now.

alfredofroylan said:
People actually read the interview? Or only bash the same arguments of the last 2 years?

Is publishing Fatal Frame not really justified?

PSN - hanafuda

Well i really dont understand why some devs lack confidence in competing with Nintendo, well surely if you release crap game it wont sell. But good efforts tend to do well.

hanafuda said:

Is publishing Fatal Frame not really justified?

My point about this thread is that not every single compnay has to make games for the Wii or even consoles in general. Valve is not going to make games for the Wii because their entire company is structured for other consoles for example, It's like asking for a console version of World of Warcraft from Blizzard probably is not going to happen never. My gripe with Fatal Frame is that NOA don't say anything about the game. (It's really difficult to grab a representative and saying why they are not going to release the game in North America?)

But anyway some companies work well with the Wii, some companies don't, that's the end of the story.