By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The mythical diversified Sony gamer demographic

kowenicki said:
@montana

no you didnt... what the hell has the size of a userbase have to do with diversity?

oh.. and people that come into threads and act all superior are the people I lose respect for....

Yeah, what the hell does the size of a userbase have to do with diversity? I'll repeat this for emphasis because it's a question with an incredibly obvious answer. A larger userbase has more varied demographics because more people have bought it. I'm not acting superior to you, I'm just sick of people making threads because of what one or two people say and then when someone tries to argue with them they don't have any good points to bring up.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
@montana

no you didnt... what the hell has the size of a userbase have to do with diversity?

oh.. and people that come into threads and act all superior are the people I lose respect for....

Yeah, what the hell does the size of a userbase have to do with diversity? I'll repeat this for emphasis because it's a question with an incredibly obvious answer. A larger userbase has more varied demographics because more people have bought it. I'm not acting superior to you, I'm just sick of people making threads because of what one or two people say and then when someone tries to argue with them they don't have any good points to bring up.

thats just plain wrong.... so if 100,00 people aged 20 buy a console and 50,000 aged between 10 and 30 buy a console.... which has the more varied demographic?

the one with the most sales?  no.

dont ever go into market research will you... it seems you just dont understand the basics.

First off, I've never heard of the number 100,00. Second off, you ignored common sense. The PS2 has a console userbase of 120 million compared to 25 million for the Xbox and 22 million for the Gamecube. Common logic would dictate that the PS2 userbase is more diversified. That's why the attach rates for the top selling games are lower than for the other consoles, and that's why a greater variety of genres will sell. And I'm not going into market research, I'm studying to be a veterinarian.

You shouldn't go into market research because you don't see to understand it either. Your made up example is not the representative of how things really work.

The bigger the number the more likely it is filled with more varied factors, basic logical thinking.

For example 100k people from LAs entire pop, 50% of them might drive premium cars, BMW Lexus whatever right.

Take into account the entire city 4 million people that % might be less then 5% that drive premium cars.

The greater the number the more varied things get.

Price has lot to do with diversity as does brand strength in specific markets.

kowenicki said:
@ montana

so which is more diverse? wii or PS3 ?

The Wii has more varied demographics. Even if it can't sell some of the genres the HD consoles do, it makes up for it by selling a variety of other genres of games.

kowenicki said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
@montana

thats just plain wrong.... so if 100,00 people aged 20 buy a console and 50,000 aged between 10 and 30 buy a console.... which has the more varied demographic?

the one with the most sales?  no.

dont ever go into market research will you... it seems you just dont understand the basics.

But the market doesn't work like that. It's crazy to think any console outside of the leading console has the most varied userbase.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Kowenicki, I hope you didn't make this just to wind up CGI. :(

And, as Montana said, the reason people say that the PS3 is more diverse is because a lot of PS3 owners were PS2 owners - the PS2 being irrefutably diverse. Based on figures from Sony, 17mil out of the total 21mil PS3 userbase were in fact PS2 owners.

(Not to say that many 360 owners weren't also PS2 owners, but I guess we just expect that a lot of the 360 userbase comes from the Xbox userbase due to Halo culture and what not).

scottie said:

I'm just using VGChartz data, so here

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=&console=X360&keyword=&publisher=&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

and here

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?&results=50&name=&console=PS3&keyword=&publisher=&genre=&order=Sales&boxart=Both&showdeleted=&region=All&alphasort=

The games are

PS360

CoD4

GTA4

CoDWaW

Assasins Creed

PS3

Motorstorm

GT5:Prologue

LBP

Uncharted

Resistance

MGS4

Forza

Lego Indiana Jones

Gears

Gears 2

Halo

Guitar Hero 3

How did you get 5 shooters for PS3? Here's what I see:

Action Adventure: 4 (MGS4, GTA4, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed)

Shooters: 3 (RFOM, CoD4, WaW)

Racing: 2 (MotorStorm, GT5P)

Platformers: 1 (LBP)

While 360 has:

Shooters: 5 (CoD4, WaW, Halo 3, Gears, Gears 2)

Action Adventure: 2 (GTA4, Assassin's Creed)

Racing: 1 (Forza 2)

Platformers: 1 (Lego Indiana Jones [bundled])

Music/Rhythm: 1 (Guitar Hero 3)

I think it's quite foolish to consider MGS4 and Uncharted in the same genre as Gears and CoD4.

So as you can see, the 360 list shows quite a bias towards shooters (5 in the top ten, next highest was 2). So I can see where the "diverse userbase" argument comes from, but in actual fact, it's just that Americans buy more software, and the 360 has double the PS3's userbase over there. The gap might as well be 10 million, because the 2 million extra PS3s in Japan aren't going to help with CoD4's sales (they did help with GTA4, but just a little bit). Many games (particularly old PS2 series) sell better on PS3 in Others, but they sell so much more in NA that the 360 takes the overall lead.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

they got the line from nintendo fanboys

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

kowenicki said:
@cgi

but didnt montana also say that a bigger fanbase HAS to equal a more diverse ownership?

Pardon me if I jump in, but that was not meant to be a logic implication. It was meant to be an empyrical consequence.

While in theory it is well possible that all the new users of an expanding market will fall into the preexisting demographic in the exactly right ratios - and thus not change its statistical composition - in practice the law of compund probabilities will make it so that the bigger the audience the bigger the chance of having representative of many niche submarkets.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

How anybody is able to say for definete how varied a certain demographic is , is beyond me . It would take some pretty indepth statistical analysis to show exactly how diverse a console's demographic was in comparison to that of another console.

Game sales won't tell you how diverse a demographic is , marketing & promotion , pricing etc could convince a very similar demographic to buy a diverse range of games , games that don't neccaserily agree to their tastes.

Comparing game sales relevant to other consoles won't get you your answer partly because of the last answer , comparing PS3:Wii:360 is also innacurate because of the variance in userbase sizes.

Assuming that a demographic will become more diverse as it becomes large is similar to assuming that a city with 10 million people will have more gay people than a city with 1 million people , it may very well be the case that the number of gay people in the smaller city outnumber the gay people in the larger city 50:1 . We can't just look at things quantativley to reach any sort of serious conclusion , we need to know the qualitive factors and that requires data we don't have access to.