By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The mythical diversified Sony gamer demographic

Also, as the average 360 owner is younger, they prefer shooters more. Another minor point is that some PS3 owners dont actually play games on it (a very very small number but hey :p)

Around the Network

The Top 10 selling games on a console don't show a console's diversity in its userbase. All it really demonstrates is which genres were most popular at the time or which companies were marketing their games the best. Let me show you the top 10 best selling PS2 games by genre:

3 Sandbox

4 Racing

1 Shooter (assuming Metal Gear Solid 2 is a shooter)

2 RPGs

That's less diverse than the top 10s of the HD consoles, so as you can see, it doesn't mean a damn thing. The main reason that people say that the PS3 audience is diversified is because it's a continuation of the PS2 userbase, which was very diversified. Now I'm sure that there are more PS2 owners who bought a Wii or 360, but the vast majority of people who bought PS3s were likely PS2 owners. Just look at how well some series do because they grew big on the Sony brandname. Tomb Raider: Underworld sold better on the PS3, even in America (which is a real rarity). Resident Evil 5 sold better on the PS3 (also a strong Sony series), along with Devil May Cry, Pro Evo, and Fifa. Hell, Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit sold much better on the PS3 than the 360 just because the past Dragonball games were so popular on the PS2.

And some people need to stop making threads to whine about what a couple fanboys said. I quickly lose respect for people who do that.

kowenicki said:

Whenever a game gets lower sales than a couterpart on the 360.. I hear.. "ah but the demographic of the PS3 is much more diverse" 

Can someone actually explain what this means.... with real evidence and examples, perhaps even proof with numbers.  The only evidence I can see says the exact opposite.

Perhaps CGI can help... as you say it an awful lot.

I'm beginning to think its just a 'get out of jail free card' statement that is tossed in to any discussion to try and deflect.

(please dont use the PS2 as evidence... this is about the PS3 buying habits)

^anyone who says diverse demograph isnt correct.

the real reason is quite simple, when 360 launched all the people who bought it were mainly core gamers ie. the better thing has come out and was therefore purchased, just like i did, as soon as 360 came out i wanted one str8 away. them core gamers buy more games per year anyway.

on top of that 360 has a larger userbase especially in NA where people buy more games.

so to sum up, 360 has a higher % of core gamers combined with a higher install base, on a general basis will lead to more copies sold over ps3.

^so thats the real reason not anything else, of course im only talking about a general sence not absolute. there may be times when ps3 game will sell more than 360 game but mostly 360 game will edge out ps3 game.

there is no myth.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

RE5 and SF4 ain't no myth.

But it's true that the 360 has the Bible belt on lock.

MrMeToo said:

It has a very diverse demographic for example, If you like FPS games you go Xbox 360 no questions asked it owns the genre like your daddy owns you. KZ2 just happened to be the bastard child of the xbox 360 (*it was never meant for ps3*)

If however you are like me and like different games such as GOW3 , Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, RandC, Mgs4, Little Big Planet, Kz2, Valkyria Chronicles and Assassins.........you in essence diversify. I have only one FPS game bet you have 2?
I never like to buy the same type of game twice which is why im in constant lookout for different stuff.

and SONY DELIVERS DIFFERENT TYPES OF GAMES TO ITS CUSTOMERS. If all it did was promote Uncharted and MGS4 all day long for 4 freaking years both would see sales as epic as halo.

Microsoft has nothing but Halo

Interview with Microsoft

question: So Microsoft 2007 you gave us Halo 3 and Gears of War, 2008 you gave us Gears of War 2 what do you have in store for us in 2009.

Microsoft: ummm errrr ummm errrr more Halo but this time its really different.......

Question: How can it possibly be different from the other 3.

Microsoft: errrmmm you have a new character which you cant see and the same guns you had in Halo 3.....ummmm...... hurray for Halo 3.......no wait ODST.

sorry Microsoft just needs to diversify. lol it has other good games like mass effect and Fable. but it dick sucks halo like fuck

microsoft 2006 =gears

microsoft 2007=halo 3

microsoft 2008= gears 2

fps exclusive breakdown

microsoft                                sony

halo 3                                     killzone 2

gears of war                           resistance

gears of war 2                        resistance 2

shadowrun                              socom

perfect dark zero                     haze

hmmm, they seem to have the exact same amount of shooter games.... amazing.  However, the 360 is obviously the shooter console because it has way more shooter games and that is all anybody ever buys on the 360 right?    Such a lame sony fanboy argument. 

Also, I'm sure microsoft will have at least 1 big triple AAA game anounced at e3, they always do.        

I think I need a break from this website, the fanboys are starting to get to me.  Why can't you people see the value in all the consoles?  Why does it always have to be about making yourselves feel better about your purchase instead of actually looking at what you are missing? 

Honestly, the way to go is to own all 3.       

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
some reasonable posts... (not you mrmetoo)

i stil think that the scottie post DOES prove something though.

Well then explain how it does. I just proved how it doesn't and I'd be happy to do it again.

Gamecube top 10:

1 fighter

1 racer

3 platformers (I'm counting Luigi's mansion as one)

2 adventure

1 party

1 simulation

1 RPG

Easily more diverse than the PS2 top 10, but with a userbase 1/6 of the size of the PS2's, would you really claim that the Gamecube userbase is more diverse? I repeat, the top 10 sales mean nothing.

Counting the titles of different genres is not a good indicator if you don't take in account the relative weight (in sales) of those titles.

If you take the top 25 sellers on each platform, categorize them, then calculate the percentage of sales of each category versus total sales of top 25 you get:

PS3     360 FPS                 23.71% 36.44%
Action/Shooter 19.02% 19.39%
Racer               16.01% 4.38%
Action/Adventure 9.69% 11.55% Platformer          6.18% 0.00%
Sport                15.39% 5.14%
Music/Rythm     3.17% 9.81%
RPG                   2.33% 13.30%
Hack/Slash       4.49% 0.00%

Standard deviation     7.26% 10.19%

Draw your own conclusions from the numbers.

Some of my choices for how to categorize some games could be discussed of course, but I think they are reasonable. The detailed data are in a spreadsheet.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

come on really.

PS is a ww console brand NA Eu Japan sales are strong not one market dominates each have their specific tastes and preferences, GT (racer) EU, GTA (shooter) NA, and FF (rpg) JDM.

xbox is mostly a NA brand, majority sales come from there. NA is a shooter oriented market. So duhh most of it top sellers are shooters Halo COD GTA Gears where majority sales come from the NA market.

Its not rocket science its just breakdown of the user base and market tastes.

kowenicki said:
no shadowblind that wont do.

it is an oft used phrase on here to explain why certain ps3 titles havent sold as many as expected...

How will that not do? He just gave you an answer. On the fact that no real evidence is ever brought up on the part of those argueing the case, it's probably used as an excuse.

gergroy said:
MrMeToo said:

It has a very diverse demographic for example, If you like FPS games you go Xbox 360 no questions asked it owns the genre like your daddy owns you. KZ2 just happened to be the bastard child of the xbox 360 (*it was never meant for ps3*)

If however you are like me and like different games such as GOW3 , Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, RandC, Mgs4, Little Big Planet, Kz2, Valkyria Chronicles and Assassins.........you in essence diversify. I have only one FPS game bet you have 2?
I never like to buy the same type of game twice which is why im in constant lookout for different stuff.

and SONY DELIVERS DIFFERENT TYPES OF GAMES TO ITS CUSTOMERS. If all it did was promote Uncharted and MGS4 all day long for 4 freaking years both would see sales as epic as halo.

Microsoft has nothing but Halo

Interview with Microsoft

question: So Microsoft 2007 you gave us Halo 3 and Gears of War, 2008 you gave us Gears of War 2 what do you have in store for us in 2009.

Microsoft: ummm errrr ummm errrr more Halo but this time its really different.......

Question: How can it possibly be different from the other 3.

Microsoft: errrmmm you have a new character which you cant see and the same guns you had in Halo 3.....ummmm...... hurray for Halo 3.......no wait ODST.

sorry Microsoft just needs to diversify. lol it has other good games like mass effect and Fable. but it dick sucks halo like fuck

microsoft 2006 =gears

microsoft 2007=halo 3

microsoft 2008= gears 2

fps exclusive breakdown

microsoft                                sony

halo 3                                     killzone 2

gears of war                           resistance

gears of war 2                        resistance 2

shadowrun                              socom

perfect dark zero                     haze

hmmm, they seem to have the exact same amount of shooter games.... amazing.  However, the 360 is obviously the shooter console because it has way more shooter games and that is all anybody ever buys on the 360 right?    Such a lame sony fanboy argument. 

Also, I'm sure microsoft will have at least 1 big triple AAA game anounced at e3, they always do.        

I think I need a break from this website, the fanboys are starting to get to me.  Why can't you people see the value in all the consoles?  Why does it always have to be about making yourselves feel better about your purchase instead of actually looking at what you are missing? 

Honestly, the way to go is to own all 3.       

dude you can call me fanboy as much as you want but in terms of how different apart sony games are to microsoft gaming diversity you cannot argue objectively for microsoft.