By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Copied Microsoft, But Where Is The Backlash?

happimess - he is trying to discredit you by saying your a sony fanboy because he has no other response to you verbally owning him but he is failing big time

Around the Network

MS invented achievements, because the point is that it's a unified system that works through all games. That's far different than just having a "high score" on individual games like in the days of the great coin-op Arcades.

kowenicki said:
the damage control in here is a bit sad..... yes sony copied MS with trophies and yes MS copied sony on things... does it matter? why do the sony fans have to get so defensive?

I think you're being very one-sided here. The damage control is sad on both sides. If you are desperate to ask a question of this type, you'd be better with: Why do the fans have to get so defensive? It's as bad on both sides of the ridiculous divide.

That said, your first question is bang on the mark: Does it matter?

The answer is no, but people love banging their drums about this or that. Personally, I'd prefer it if more copying went on, not less. Free Live? Proper chat functions on PSN? An HD Nintendo? More of that and I'd be happy.

Slimebeast said:
MS invented achievements, because the point is that it's a unified system that works through all games. That's far different than just having a "high score" on individual games like in the days of the great coin-op Arcades.

The point you seem to be making has already been made several times in this thread. MS created a unified leader-board founded upon various challenges in all the games on their platform. That was pretty unique. It deserves attention. It rocks. Others copied it because it was a good idea. Some platforms were slammed for copying (Sony, contrary to the OP's claims), some were not (Steam; well, not much), but none of that really matters. What matters is that it was a good adaption of an old idea, and it worked well.

However, to say 'MS invented acheivements' isn't true. It would be better to say that MS invented the universal Gamerscore. Many games had achievements in various forms before MS so effectively added Gamerscore to the mix.

I am glad Sony copied them. I personally love achievements and am thankful we now have them on both consoles.

*Finished off Boss in Vesperia*

*What? I didn't get the achievement?*

*Resets*

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
@hapimeses

agreed...

Yay! Thanks for saying so.

For some reason I'm a tad annoyed by certain posts today, and I felt the need to wade where norrmally I don't bother. This thread seems to be where I've camped out with my 'why do you all care so much?' and 'please get your facts right' flags waving high.

Good stress relief, I suppose.

Hapimeses said:
Slimebeast said:

The point you seem to be making has already been made several times in this thread. MS created a unified leader-board founded upon various challenges in all the games on their platform. That was pretty unique. It deserves attention. It rocks. Others copied it because it was a good idea. Some platforms were slammed for copying (Sony, contrary to the OP's claims), some were not (Steam; well, not much), but none of that really matters. What matters is that it was a good adaption of an old idea, and it worked well.

However, to say 'MS invented acheivements' isn't true. It would be better to say that MS invented the universal Gamerscore. Many games had achievements in various forms before MS so effectively added Gamerscore to the mix.

I'd say MS still invented achievements because when you say 'achievements' ppl r thinking of that universal point system that works towards a larger goal, and that was a unique invention that will stay in gaming for all time. 

Achievements dramatically changed the way so many gamers play their games, so in hindsight it will be one of the really huge things to be remembered from this gen.

(but I'm in no way critizicing Sony for copying, I just say give credit where credit is due)

Slimebeast said:
Hapimeses said:
Slimebeast said:

I'd say MS still invented achievements because when you say 'achievements' ppl r thinking of that universal point system that works towards a larger goal, and that was a unique invention that will stay in gaming for all time. 

Achievements dramatically changed the way so many gamers play their games, so in hindsight it will be one of the really huge things to be remembered from this gen.

(but I'm in no way critizicing Sony for copying, I just say give credit where credit is due)

I kinda agree with this. MS certainly brought the universal Achievement system into place and unified it with the Gamerscore, and it worked. Bloody well, if I do say so myself. However, I can't find it in myself to say MS invented Achievements, because that wouldn't be true -- as I said before, many games had goals and rewards of various types before MS came along, and some were pretty much identical to Achievements.

It was the universal application of Achievements that made the difference, and the Gamerscore. Sure, neither 'achievements' nor 'high scores' were unique ideas, but their universal application certainly was. It really, really worked, and did dramatically change how many people played their games (me included).

So, I wouldn't use your 'invented' line so readily, but I do fully support the thought behind it. Microsoft brought Achievements to the masses, and it worked. Sony (and others), realising they were losing out on several levels, moved in and copied the system (with only a few adaptions).

Slimebeast said:

Yeah for the worst IMHO. Some people give too much credit to achievments and trophies and disregard completely the quality of a title as long as they can get a larger e-penis thanks to it. It's truly pitifull. Don't get me wrong I like online play and I'm all for competition in games, but this is not competition it's just vaunt.

Videogirl said:
Slimebeast said:

Yeah for the worst IMHO. Some people give too much credit to achievments and trophies and disregard completely the quality of a title as long as they can get a larger e-penis thanks to it. It's truly pitifull. Don't get me wrong I like online play and I'm all for competition in games, but this is not competition it's just vaunt.

Or they completely disregard a game because it doesn't have trophies.

I saw plenty of these the last few days.

Poster#1 - "Valkyria Chronicles is on sale for $29.99! You should pick this up while it is still cheap!"

Poster#2 - "I would if it had trophies, but unfortunately it doesn't. So i'll pass."

That makes me sad.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!