By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will any other game ever beat Wii Sports as the greatest game ever

people that say wii sports was an easy game to make I have to say.. while I respect your opinion (i really do) I have to disagree. Nintendo said wii sports took almost 4 years to make. mgs4 took only 3 years to make. wii sports had to develop new hardware, have to hire actors to map motion control, have to use new graphics libraries. from what I heard about mgs4 is that they just hired the same people from the previous games.

I don't think it would be hard to make mgs4 because there are so many games that have similar looks to it. for example, what if they change the sprites from resident evil 5 or grand theft auto 4 and put them with mgs4 characters.. just saying just some food for thought.

they could not do that with wii sports.
to summarize, wii sports had to
-create new revolutionary play controls
-use advance software engineerings
-create *FIVE* games not just ONE like mgs4, etc

I think this is strong counter-evidence for claims that wii sports was an easy game to make

prediction: wii to sell 150million console by end of 2010

Around the Network
jellyfishprince said:
people that say wii sports was an easy game to make I have to say.. while I respect your opinion (i really do) I have to disagree. Nintendo said wii sports took almost 4 years to make. mgs4 took only 3 years to make. wii sports had to develop new hardware, have to hire actors to map motion control, have to use new graphics libraries. from what I heard about mgs4 is that they just hired the same people from the previous games.

I don't think it would be hard to make mgs4 because there are so many games that have similar looks to it. for example, what if they change the sprites from resident evil 5 or grand theft auto 4 and put them with mgs4 characters.. just saying just some food for thought.

I think this is strong counter-evidence for claims that wii sports was an easy game to make

But MGS4 is a much bigger game (in terms of content on the disc lol), it needed thought and expertise on the amazing cutscenes, had to have a good story plotted (unlike Wii sports), had to have an online mode created (unlike Wii sports), had to be created on more demanding and challenging hardware and has so so so so much more detail in it than Wii sports.

jellyfishprince said:

Wii Sports is a great game, and it is part of the reason the Wii sold the way it did. It is, however, not nearly as thoroughly made as MGS 4, SMG, or pretty much any of the other non-Wii series 5M + sellers this gen.

The controls weren't made for Wii Sports, Wii Sports was made after the controls. Making the controls was hard, but they weren't made for Wii Sports. That's like putting "had to make a machine with good graphics" as a pro for Uncharted.

I don't get the "use advance software engineerings", how is it any different than for MGS 4, or any game?

"create *FIVE* games not just ONE like mgs4, etc"

So Carnival Games beats Wii Sports then?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

jellyfishprince said:

Wow.... WOW.... HOLY FUCK....

You can't honestly think this can you? You can not honestly be this stupid. I am sorry if by calling you stupid is violating the rules but this can't be left without saying. How can you possibly still function in the real world?

Wii sports had a 5 million dollar budget. For 2 years, not 4, a team of 45 people worked on and off it. 45 people is not a large number of people. Motion tracking was not used, other then for controls. You are trying to compare that, to MGS4, with a development team of 100 programmers, 50 graphics design artists, 35 motion tracking members(as well as around 50 people actually being tracked) almost 80 top quality voice actors with thousands of lines being spoke, game mechanics which ACTUALLY revolutionize the genre. All under the guide of 1 man, and a 60 million dollar budget, and it still took 3 years. WII sports is not revolutionary. In fact games existed which were the same thing, with the same controls on PC for years. Motion control is nothing new, in fact a PS1 controller had 4 axis motion control. The mechanics for Wii sports, the coding would be quite simplistic. I actually construct and "proof" read code as a job. Basically I go over C#, C++, Ajax coding making sure there is no mistakes and visible bugs, making sure it's doing what it's supposed to. WII sports does have some complex algorithms to diciphere motion controls, yet they are already constructed by others, so it's a moot point. You are comparing a game which actively changes over the time you play, where you are playing, with thousands of hidden secrets not everyone has found yet, with a 10-15 hour(first playthrough) intense campaign with 12 hours of immense quality cut scenes, all covering and concluding and connecting the story to a bunch of minigames.

I hate people like you, you are truly the death of video games. Good day, and may you one day actually understand.

Funny; either a new troll or a casual player on a site where most users are actually more hardcore.

Best-selling game? Yes. Best game? Certainly not, unless you've never played games before.

Around the Network
JamesCizuz said:
jellyfishprince said:

You can't honestly think this can you? You can not honestly be this stupid. I am sorry if by calling you stupid is violating the rules but this can't be left without saying. How can you possibly still function in the real world?

Wii sports had a 5 million dollar budget. For 2 years, not 4, a team of 45 people worked on and off it. 45 people is not a large number of people. Motion tracking was not used, other then for controls. You are trying to compare that, to MGS4, with a development team of 100 programmers, 50 graphics design artists, 35 motion tracking members(as well as around 50 people actually being tracked) almost 80 top quality voice actors with thousands of lines being spoke, game mechanics which ACTUALLY revolutionize the genre. All under the guide of 1 man, and a 60 million dollar budget, and it still took 3 years. WII sports is not revolutionary. In fact games existed which were the same thing, with the same controls on PC for years. Motion control is nothing new, in fact a PS1 controller had 4 axis motion control. The mechanics for Wii sports, the coding would be quite simplistic. I actually construct and "proof" read code as a job. Basically I go over C#, C++, Ajax coding making sure there is no mistakes and visible bugs, making sure it's doing what it's supposed to. WII sports does have some complex algorithms to diciphere motion controls, yet they are already constructed by others, so it's a moot point. You are comparing a game which actively changes over the time you play, where you are playing, with thousands of hidden secrets not everyone has found yet, with a 10-15 hour(first playthrough) intense campaign with 12 hours of immense quality cut scenes, all covering and concluding and connecting the story to a bunch of minigames.

I hate people like you, you are truly the death of video games. Good day, and may you one day actually understand.

Wii sports had a 5 million dollar budget. For 2 years, not 4, a team of 45 people worked on and off it

Links please? I'd really like one, as I couldn't find any info on it.

Motion tracking was not used, other then for controls. 

Yes, because motion tracking is normally used for the music. What the hell would it be used for other than the controls?

MGS4, with a development team of 100 programmers, 50 graphics design artists, 35 motion tracking members(as well as around 50 people actually being tracked) almost 80 top quality voice actors with thousands of lines being spoke, game mechanics which ACTUALLY revolutionize the genre. All under the guide of 1 man, and a 60 million dollar budget

I'd like links to this as well. And how did it revolutionize the genre exactly? It seems more like it perfected it than that it revolutionized it.

WII sports is not revolutionary. 

... It is. I normally would use a longer comment, but I'm not gonna here.

Motion control is nothing new, in fact a PS1 controller had 4 axis motion control.  

Provide some proof, because I really, really doubt this.

Fuck, idiot, you're a retard

Quit saying this stuff. There's absolutely no reason to, and you should apply them to yourself. He's ignorant, you're mean.

Edit:

Just to clarify, I never meant to call you a retard, or anything of the likes. I meant that you had, in a way, called the person you quoted this.

Also, when you're back from your ban (assuming you read this), I'd really like you to tell me what motion tracking is, as it seems what you believe it is is different than what I believe it is.

JamesCizuz said:
jellyfishprince said:

Ok seriously that just shows that when people cannot think of a valid counter arguments that they have to resort to swearing and name calling?

You hate people like me that are hardcore games that ACTUALLY ENJOY CASUAL GAMES? *shockgasp* seriously your the type of person that probably would never understand how good solid games like super mario bros galaxy is or wii fit..

anyway I am not going to stoop to your level and insult others instead i will make constructive arguments WHICH IS THE POINT OF THESE FORUMS.

mgs4 did not take that much time I have more evidence that the aforementioned stuff. why was it realesed so early? I will tell you why! it didnt take as much time as upcomign final fantasy or grand theft auto or resident evil 5 because it didnt need to. konami already had a lot of the libraries ready for the game.

ok, I am not saying a 2 year old could make mgs4 but I am saying that wii sports was harder to make and a lot more revolutionary. you are saying mgs4 needed voice actors, but guess what, wii sports had voice acting too! i think you are too biased. pleae do not insult others when you know you are wrong. do not insult hardcore gamers that like casual games. i rest my case.

prediction: wii to sell 150million console by end of 2010

JamesCizuz said:
jellyfishprince said:

This is where the word "snobcore" comes from.

This guy prefers a different game, so he's stupid, the death of video games, and the target of your hatred?

That's unnecessary and bannable.

Also, all that time, money, and talent wasn't enough to get MGS4 to outsell Wii Sports in Japan, where Wii Sports isn't bundled (but MGS4 was).  Here's a comparison of the 2 games, aligned from their respective Japanese launches:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Wii+Sports+-+Wii&reg2=Japan&game2=Metal+Gear+Solid+4%3A+Guns+Of+The+Patriots+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100

That was the LTD comparison, and here's the weekly comparison, which is even funnier:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Wii+Sports+-+Wii&reg2=Japan&game2=Metal+Gear+Solid+4%3A+Guns+Of+The+Patriots+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100&weekly=1

MGS4 revolutionized a genre that apparently nobody in Japan cares about.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
JamesCizuz said:
jellyfishprince said:

This is where the word "snobcore" comes from.

This guy prefers a different game, so he's stupid, the death of video games, and the target of your hatred?

That's unnecessary and bannable.

Also, all that time, money, and talent wasn't enough to get MGS4 to outsell Wii Sports in Japan, where Wii Sports isn't bundled (but MGS4 was).  Here's a comparison of the 2 games, aligned from their respective Japanese launches:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Wii+Sports+-+Wii&reg2=Japan&game2=Metal+Gear+Solid+4%3A+Guns+Of+The+Patriots+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100

That was the LTD comparison, and here's the weekly comparison, which is even funnier:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Wii+Sports+-+Wii&reg2=Japan&game2=Metal+Gear+Solid+4%3A+Guns+Of+The+Patriots+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100&weekly=1

MGS4 revolutionized a genre that apparently nobody in Japan cares about.

He's not really referring to sales, is he? When he's talking about "quality" you can't really respond with sales.

And people

Get some bloody proof! We have 2 people here (James and Jelly) who are just throwing out baseless stuff. Give some proof, or don't post it. You're both out on deep water here, and you're making lots of claims that you seemingly can't back up.

And no, I won't accept a friend invite from either one of you.

I hate Wii Sports...