By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will any other game ever beat Wii Sports as the greatest game ever

Come on guys, stop feeding the troll and let the thread die.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

wii sports is not the greatest game off all time maybe the greatest game on the the wii

I dont know anyone that has said "I'm gonna go buy a wii so i can play wii sports" and really did it

Now it is a fun family game but as a man for me its boring after 10-20 minutes

sure it will be beat but by what game and when.... i dont know

what i would love to know is do u really think that this game would sell as fast or even as much if it wasnt bundled?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

GAMES,BLU-TOOTH,BLU-RAY,MEDIA SERVER,PHOTOS,MUSIC,BROWSER,DVD,REMOTE PLAY,PSN

LIFE WITH PLAYSTATION

There's something that makes people buy games, and it's not the amount of money spent on their programming, or their size.

If quality doesn't have anything to do with sales, what's the point of spending that much money on a game? I guess Kojima's giving some fanservice to his fans, and that's actually pretty awesome then.

Of course this system assumes all programmers are psychic and can predict market desires and market shifts and know exactly what will sell at all times. But only Miyamoto can do that.

dznutz23 said:
wii sports is not the greatest game off all time maybe the greatest game on the the wii

I dont know anyone that has said "I'm gonna go buy a wii so i can play wii sports" and really did it

Now it is a fun family game but as a man for me its boring after 10-20 minutes

sure it will be beat but by what game and when.... i dont know

what i would love to know is do u really think that this game would sell as fast or even as much if it wasnt bundled?

Well, it's essentially a bigger success than Wii Fit.

Wii Fit is the quickest selling game ever (depending on how you count it, MKWii beats it in some cases).

What does that tell you?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
There's something that makes people buy games, and it's not the amount of money spent on their programming, or their size.

If quality doesn't have anything to do with sales, what's the point of spending that much money on a game? I guess Kojima's giving some fanservice to his fans, and that's actually pretty awesome then.

Of course this system assumes all programmers are psychic and can predict market desires and market shifts and know exactly what will sell at all times. But only Miyamoto can do that.

It has to do with image.

Wii Sports was new and exiting, and it's a logical choice to buy with you Wii (several stores in Japan have had it bundled with the Wii, but I can't find a link right now).

Wii Sports created an image quickly. It was supposed to be bought with the Wii. That image is still there in Japan.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

i played hop scotch yesterday. It was better in some aspects

Around the Network
EL_PATRAS said:
i played hop scotch yesterday. It was better in some aspects

Hop scotch isn't a game because it doesn't have a story.

100 games (at least) already did.

It's just a silly demo,I have not even touched it after I bored with it when I got my wii 2 years ago.

I don't even consider it a game or fun.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
JamesCizuz said:
jellyfishprince said:
people that say wii sports was an easy game to make I have to say.. while I respect your opinion (i really do) I have to disagree. Nintendo said wii sports took almost 4 years to make. mgs4 took only 3 years to make. wii sports had to develop new hardware, have to hire actors to map motion control, have to use new graphics libraries. from what I heard about mgs4 is that they just hired the same people from the previous games.

I don't think it would be hard to make mgs4 because there are so many games that have similar looks to it. for example, what if they change the sprites from resident evil 5 or grand theft auto 4 and put them with mgs4 characters.. just saying just some food for thought.

they could not do that with wii sports.
to summarize, wii sports had to
-create new revolutionary play controls
-use advance software engineerings
-create *FIVE* games not just ONE like mgs4, etc

I think this is strong counter-evidence for claims that wii sports was an easy game to make

Wow.... WOW.... HOLY FUCK....

You can't honestly think this can you? You can not honestly be this stupid. I am sorry if by calling you stupid is violating the rules but this can't be left without saying. How can you possibly still function in the real world?

Wii sports had a 5 million dollar budget. For 2 years, not 4, a team of 45 people worked on and off it. 45 people is not a large number of people. Motion tracking was not used, other then for controls. You are trying to compare that, to MGS4, with a development team of 100 programmers, 50 graphics design artists, 35 motion tracking members(as well as around 50 people actually being tracked) almost 80 top quality voice actors with thousands of lines being spoke, game mechanics which ACTUALLY revolutionize the genre. All under the guide of 1 man, and a 60 million dollar budget, and it still took 3 years. WII sports is not revolutionary. In fact games existed which were the same thing, with the same controls on PC for years. Motion control is nothing new, in fact a PS1 controller had 4 axis motion control. The mechanics for Wii sports, the coding would be quite simplistic. I actually construct and "proof" read code as a job. Basically I go over C#, C++, Ajax coding making sure there is no mistakes and visible bugs, making sure it's doing what it's supposed to. WII sports does have some complex algorithms to diciphere motion controls, yet they are already constructed by others, so it's a moot point. You are comparing a game which actively changes over the time you play, where you are playing, with thousands of hidden secrets not everyone has found yet, with a 10-15 hour(first playthrough) intense campaign with 12 hours of immense quality cut scenes, all covering and concluding and connecting the story to a bunch of minigames.

I hate people like you, you are truly the death of video games. Good day, and may you one day actually understand.

Wii sports had a 5 million dollar budget. For 2 years, not 4, a team of 45 people worked on and off it

Links please? I'd really like one, as I couldn't find any info on it.

Motion tracking was not used, other then for controls. 

Yes, because motion tracking is normally used for the music. What the hell would it be used for other than the controls?

MGS4, with a development team of 100 programmers, 50 graphics design artists, 35 motion tracking members(as well as around 50 people actually being tracked) almost 80 top quality voice actors with thousands of lines being spoke, game mechanics which ACTUALLY revolutionize the genre. All under the guide of 1 man, and a 60 million dollar budget

I'd like links to this as well. And how did it revolutionize the genre exactly? It seems more like it perfected it than that it revolutionized it.

WII sports is not revolutionary. 

... It is. I normally would use a longer comment, but I'm not gonna here.

Motion control is nothing new, in fact a PS1 controller had 4 axis motion control.  

Provide some proof, because I really, really doubt this.

Fuck, idiot, you're a retard

Quit saying this stuff. There's absolutely no reason to, and you should apply them to yourself. He's ignorant, you're mean.

Wow, you have no idea what motion tracking is for. Motion tracking was invented to show more fluid animations, it's easier to track motion of someone doing something, then animate it to do it. Plus animating it does not look as good. Old game characters, used to look horrible when moving and such, not realisitic, what happens is motion tracking, records 3d what ever movement is, and makes the character do that.

Also, until you post your souces, I won't bother. Also reported.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
JamesCizuz said:
jellyfishprince said:
people that say wii sports was an easy game to make I have to say.. while I respect your opinion (i really do) I have to disagree. Nintendo said wii sports took almost 4 years to make. mgs4 took only 3 years to make. wii sports had to develop new hardware, have to hire actors to map motion control, have to use new graphics libraries. from what I heard about mgs4 is that they just hired the same people from the previous games.

I don't think it would be hard to make mgs4 because there are so many games that have similar looks to it. for example, what if they change the sprites from resident evil 5 or grand theft auto 4 and put them with mgs4 characters.. just saying just some food for thought.

they could not do that with wii sports.
to summarize, wii sports had to
-create new revolutionary play controls
-use advance software engineerings
-create *FIVE* games not just ONE like mgs4, etc

I think this is strong counter-evidence for claims that wii sports was an easy game to make

Wow.... WOW.... HOLY FUCK....

You can't honestly think this can you? You can not honestly be this stupid. I am sorry if by calling you stupid is violating the rules but this can't be left without saying. How can you possibly still function in the real world?

Wii sports had a 5 million dollar budget. For 2 years, not 4, a team of 45 people worked on and off it. 45 people is not a large number of people. Motion tracking was not used, other then for controls. You are trying to compare that, to MGS4, with a development team of 100 programmers, 50 graphics design artists, 35 motion tracking members(as well as around 50 people actually being tracked) almost 80 top quality voice actors with thousands of lines being spoke, game mechanics which ACTUALLY revolutionize the genre. All under the guide of 1 man, and a 60 million dollar budget, and it still took 3 years. WII sports is not revolutionary. In fact games existed which were the same thing, with the same controls on PC for years. Motion control is nothing new, in fact a PS1 controller had 4 axis motion control. The mechanics for Wii sports, the coding would be quite simplistic. I actually construct and "proof" read code as a job. Basically I go over C#, C++, Ajax coding making sure there is no mistakes and visible bugs, making sure it's doing what it's supposed to. WII sports does have some complex algorithms to diciphere motion controls, yet they are already constructed by others, so it's a moot point. You are comparing a game which actively changes over the time you play, where you are playing, with thousands of hidden secrets not everyone has found yet, with a 10-15 hour(first playthrough) intense campaign with 12 hours of immense quality cut scenes, all covering and concluding and connecting the story to a bunch of minigames.

I hate people like you, you are truly the death of video games. Good day, and may you one day actually understand.

This is where the word "snobcore" comes from.

This guy prefers a different game, so he's stupid, the death of video games, and the target of your hatred?

That's unnecessary and bannable.

Also, all that time, money, and talent wasn't enough to get MGS4 to outsell Wii Sports in Japan, where Wii Sports isn't bundled (but MGS4 was).  Here's a comparison of the 2 games, aligned from their respective Japanese launches:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Wii+Sports+-+Wii&reg2=Japan&game2=Metal+Gear+Solid+4%3A+Guns+Of+The+Patriots+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100

That was the LTD comparison, and here's the weekly comparison, which is even funnier:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Wii+Sports+-+Wii&reg2=Japan&game2=Metal+Gear+Solid+4%3A+Guns+Of+The+Patriots+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100&weekly=1

MGS4 revolutionized a genre that apparently nobody in Japan cares about.

Baka.

1. I said she was the type of person that is ruining gaming, not wii sports. Wii sports is a decent game.

2. Was every PS3 bundled with MGS4 in Japan? Point nul and void.

3. MGS4 made back it's money 4 fold, making 300 million profit.

4. Sales =/= quality. MGS4 is one of the best rated games by gamers, and reviewers(94 meta reviewed, scoring perfect scores and even a "11/10" by IGN). WII Sports was meant to show what WII could do, never to be a good game or revolutionize anything.