By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Brawl vs. Halo 3, Predictions

Yeah...because with all this hype, I can't see as anyone who wants Halo 3 wouldn't have it by christmas. If I wanted it, I'd sure as hell have it by then. It's not like anyone won't know it's out. I mean, it has it's own flavor of mountain dew, and MS has been talking about it since before the 360 was even launched.

Around the Network
misterd said:
twesterm said:
misterd said:
twesterm said:
wemysst2 said:
leo-j said:
Brawl wont get too close to halo 3's lifetime sales that I garuntee.

Again Leo-j, what is the rationale for your answer.

What's the rationale for anyone's answer? You do know we're all guessing here right? We all can come up with the same numbers saying different things all day but in the end it's all guess work. Let him have his funny little fantasy.

Please tell me you are not that ill informed.

Those paragraphs of people EXPLAINING why one will outsell the other? Those are their rationales. Sure not everyone is offering their rationales, but Leo-J, who has earned his stripes as a fanboy, is the only one offering a guarantee (or you money back?). If one is just guessing with no supporting logic, its no better than predicting a coin flip, and Leo-J would have to be a gigantic fool to guarantee anything in that case.

Those numbers make good evidence and help back up the guesses but in the end they are still guesses. Unless you have a crystal ball that magically predicts the future, you have no right to bash someone on their prediction as long as it's not something completely insane like PSP outsells the DS next month 6 to 1. Halo 3 and SSBB are going to be very close and it's not outlandish to say one is going to beat the other no matter how you look at it.

Let's clarify our definitions of guess, shall we? According to dictionary.com com, we have the following choices: –verb (used with object) 1. to arrive at or commit oneself to an opinion about (something) without having sufficient evidence to support the opinion fully: to guess a person's weight. 2. to estimate or conjecture about correctly: to guess what a word means. 3. to think, believe, or suppose: I guess I can get there in time. –verb (used without object) 4. to form an estimate or conjecture (often fol. by at or about): We guessed at the weight of the package. 5. to estimate or conjecture correctly. –noun 6. an opinion that one reaches or to which one commits oneself on the basis of probability alone or in the absence of any evidence whatever. 7. the act of forming such an opinion: to take a guess at someone's weight. My use of "guess", and the most common use, refers specifically to definitions 1, 6, and 7 - to conjecture without evidence. Definitions 2 and 5 fail to apply at all in any case because we don't yet know whether these guesses are correct or not. A conjecture based on established information would be more clearly identified as a hypothesis or inference or logical deduction. Thus one "guess" is not equal to another. As for rights, I have absolutely every right in the world to bash someone else's ideas, and they mine. That is the down side to freedom of expression - others have the right to shoot you down. If we couldn't, there'd be very little conversation in this world. For example: Your qualifier that only SOME predictions can get bashed is absurd due to its complete subjectivity. Who is to decide what predictions are and are not insane? A year ago, the Wii selling out for 10 months would have been insane too. Now, let's be honest - you're changing the topic. Leo wasn't mocked for picking Halo3, he was mocked for guaranteeing that it would win, and it was demanded that he explain the reasoning behind his prediction. Thus he was mocked 1) for his certainty (which you would seem to agree with given your crystal ball comment), and 2) his unwillingness to explain his reasoning, if any. I think a credible case can be made for either game (though I stand by my belief that the SSBB case is much stronger simply due to a larger user base and its ability to sell in all 3 major markets), and can respect a person who put's forth his reasoning (though that doesn't mean it will go unchallenged). I also have no trouble with a person who make an uninformed guess, and admits as such. But to step out on a limb and declare with absolute certainty "I know Halo 3 will win" and then whither away when challenged... that is not worthy of respect.

Sorry, twesterm, but pwnd!

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

jeeze people

lets all sing

Halo 3 now, SSBB later
repeat porfafor
Halo 3 now SSBB later

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Apostrovich said:
Yeah...because with all this hype, I can't see as anyone who wants Halo 3 wouldn't have it by christmas. If I wanted it, I'd sure as hell have it by then. It's not like anyone won't know it's out. I mean, it has it's own flavor of mountain dew, and MS has been talking about it since before the 360 was even launched.

Halo 2 is still selling... As the 360 sells over the next few years it's likely that at least some of the people picking one up will pick up Halo 3 since it's basically the biggest game on the system.

You know, I've actually really been surprised by Halo 3's allure in a way.  I've never been THAT into Halo, and even with the hype, I didnt really see it as a system seller, as some people have been claiming.  But lately, walking around campus, all I overhear is Halo 3, and lots of people talking about preordering it even though they dont have a xbox360 yet.  Hell, a friend of mine, she just bought an xbox 360 and preordered Halo 3, and bought the first 2, and shes never even owned a video game system, and just played a little bit of video games here and there.  Its kind of surprising. 

Now, SSBB?  not a single thing, havent heard anyone talk about it whatsoever.  I think the issue between these 2 games it they target different audiences.  Halo is more of a hardcore gamer audience, while SSBB is not necessarily a game i would consider a game for "hardcore" gamers, IMHO.  Who will sell better? not sure. 

One thing i do believe is that if both Wii and X360 had the same exact number consoles sold, and you released SSBB on both systems, the x360 version probably wouldnt sell half the amount as on the Wii, mainly because an individual who owns only an x360 probably has a different taste in games then someone who only owns a Wii. 

Disclaimer, this is all speculation and my opinion, so what the f&$% do i know? haha.

Around the Network

Halo 3 certainly sells more initially, and likely sells more overall. SSBB has a better chance of over coming Halo 3 than SSBM had with Halo 1 or 2, but if you're expecting a hardcore game to much better than ever before on the supposed casual console you need to think about what you're saying. Brawl has a chance, but the cards are still in Halo 3's favor.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Of course Halo 3 will win initial sales (and LTD in the US). But LTD wordwide, SSBB will win easily with the upcoming much larger user base.

If the Wii sells 100M+ (and I think it will), lots of games for it will sell more than Halo 3 on the XB360. Mario Kart, Galaxy, Party 8, MP3, WiiFit, WiiSports (non-bundled sales), Mario & Sonic at the Olympics...there's my JL-style prediction for you :)

I would imagine the reason you're not hearing anything about brawl around campus is because Brawl so far has absolutely nothing in the way of marketing. I'll tell you something else, too, the day that Brawl has it's own soft drink is the day Brawl beats out Halo 3 at launch.

prlatino86 said:

Now, SSBB? not a single thing, havent heard anyone talk about it whatsoever. I think the issue between these 2 games it they target different audiences. Halo is more of a hardcore gamer audience, while SSBB is not necessarily a game i would consider a game for "hardcore" gamers, IMHO. Who will sell better? not sure.

Halo 3 is weeks away from release, SSBB is months away from release. Now why do you think you haven't heard anything about SSBB around campus?

SSBB not for hardcore? Dude, once I get that game, nobody will be able to get me away from my Wii til this time next year. And I'll still go back to it after that. Jesus, I still play SSBM on my Wii almost every day. That game has staying power like you wouldn't believe. Anybody here able to go on their best SSBM character, turn off items, and put 3 level nine Bowsers on a team against you and still manage to win?