By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Brawl vs. Halo 3, Predictions

naznatips said:
I'm comparing between like titles in the same generation to show future performance in the next generation Legend. You are trying to compare the sales of two titles across a generation as signs of the sales for ANOTHER generation above that. That's a pretty large stretch of logic. That's like me saying FFVII sold 9.72 million so FFXIII will sell that much... even though that would be completely ignoring the much more recent and relevant data one generation in between. You are going back too far to be statistically accurate in a direct software comparison is my point.

I was trying to compare the first game in one series to the first in another instead of comparing the second game in the Super Smash Brothers series to the first in the Halo series.  Basically I was showing that each game in one series was outselling the corresponding game in the other.  Ignore it though since it's obviously not logical.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
naznatips said:
I'm comparing between like titles in the same generation to show future performance in the next generation Legend. You are trying to compare the sales of two titles across a generation as signs of the sales for ANOTHER generation above that. That's a pretty large stretch of logic. That's like me saying FFVII sold 9.72 million so FFXIII will sell that much... even though that would be completely ignoring the much more recent and relevant data one generation in between. You are going back too far to be statistically accurate in a direct software comparison is my point.

I was trying to compare the first game in one series to the first in another instead of comparing the second game in the Super Smash Brothers series to the first in the Halo series.  Basically I was showing that each game in one series was outselling the corresponding game in the other.  Ignore it though since it's obviously not logical.

The problem is it is hard to compare 1:1 for those reasons.

v1 SSB came out at the end of the N64's life, and most titles didn't sell as well as they could. Halo1 came out w/ the XBox, and for a while was the only reason to have a 'Box. That would boost it's sales. 

Halo1 vs SSBM, both out at the same time with a similar user base, but one was a new IP, the other established.

Halo 2 vs SSBM - both sequels, but at different times, different user bases and one was online the other not.

Of the 3 possibilities, I think SSBM/Halo1 are the best comparison, as the "new IP" thing didn't seem to hurt Halo 1 any more than it hurt SSB.

This time, though, you'll have the third installment of both series, with relatively close user bases (for now), and both having online play. Because of the hype and relative lack of competition (Bioshock and Mass Effect look awesome, but as far as sales go neither will likely compare to Metroid or Mario), I expect Halo 3 to win short term in the states, and maybe Europe. Long term, though, Wii looks very likely to far outpace the 360 in terms of console sales, and that will give a very strong edge to Brawl which I doubt Halo 3 can over come (especially when you add in the fact that the discrepency of sales favoring Brawl in Japan will more than cover the differences in H3 and Brawl sales in the US). 

G*dd*mn double posts!

Super Smash Bros. Melee sold almost as much as Halo because the Xbox outsold the Gamecube. Because the Wii is outselling the Xbox 360, chances are that Super Smash Bros. Brawl will outsell Halo 3. Even Super Smash Bros. Melee still might have a chance against Halo, and Halo 2, for Super Smash Bros. Brawl may revive its predecessor, since the Wii is backward compatible with Gamecube games.

A.L.E.X59 Smash Bros Melee did outsell Halo1 by a few thousand units. I dont think it will sell at all because of the sequel coming out. Dont get me wrong im sure many people who didnt own a gamecube will get it, but there a not many new smash bros melees to sell, and there will be no new shipments, so the numbers wont change. I do think used copies will fly the shleves though.

As for Super Smash Bros, it went on to sell 5.5 million copies very late on the life of the N64 and that in itself is a really impressive feat.
I hope they put the original in the virtual console...

Around the Network

my point was that i think game eventually will(should?) come out as different price points. if the wii is all about casual gaming 40-50 dollars is about the sweet spot. i think 'hardcore' gamers would be willing to pay alot more for a halo three. that is why they have the three different editions. rainbow six users ended up paying 80 dollars for their game with the expansion packs.

btw alot of you guys are serious fanboy nerds

also: how many copies of the expansion pack sold with halo 2? that is part of the advantage of the so called hard core market. we will really start to see it with the online add ons

Legend11 said:
naznatips said:

I was trying to compare the first game in one series to the first in another instead of comparing the second game in the Super Smash Brothers series to the first in the Halo series. Basically I was showing that each game in one series was outselling the corresponding game in the other. Ignore it though since it's obviously not logical.

No, it's not logical. You compare games by using the closest matches you can find. Halo and Melee are much closer matches than Halo and SSB. You are comparing cross-generation when there is a clearly present title that not only was the same generation but at the same time in each console's respective life. Again, going back that far when there are more recent and relevant examples makes no sense, and you are only doing it because the more recent evidence doesn't show some huge unbreakable advantage for Halo that you want it to.

my point was that i think game eventually will(should?) come out as different price points. if the wii is all about casual gaming 40-50 dollars is about the sweet spot. i think 'hardcore' gamers would be willing to pay alot more for a halo three. that is why they have the three different editions. rainbow six users ended up paying 80 dollars for their game with the expansion packs.

btw alot of you guys are serious fanboy nerds

Ripper, my point is that you seem completely unaware of what Brawl is. It's not a casual game... if anything it's the exact opposite. It's a game built for people who have been playing games for 20 years plus. I doubt your kids (or even you) know who the Ice Climbers or Mr. Game and Watch are. Smash Bros is a series built around those who play many different genres of games and many different games on Nintendo consoles. Not to mention you are comparing the value of the game with Halo 3 based on Halo 3's inclusion of online, when Brawl has a very good chance of being online multiplayer as well. The day people tell me a game with Solid Snake in it is made for casuals is the day I lose faith in humanity...

Oh, and it's pretty stupid to call someone on a video game sales website a nerd. If you don't get the irony, there isn't much purpose in explaning it to you. For the record, I own both Halo games and both smash games, so I don't see how the person who has played all games in both series is the fanboy, rather than the person judging a game they know nothing about, who's predecessors they have never played.

Yea i think that SSBB will be a way better sale then halo 3. I think this because if u really look at nintendo power magazine SSBM has been in the top charts 4 like 37 months.(Last time i checked).

WarriorOfShishcabob said:
Yea i think that SSBB will be a way better sale then halo 3. I think this because if u really look at nintendo power magazine SSBM has been in the top charts 4 like 37 months.(Last time i checked).

No offense, but that's a horrible example to try and use to stat which will sell better.

Personally, I'm going with the general quota of thought here: Halo 3 will blow Brawl out of the water for their respective launches, but will be more front loaded in the end and I see Brawl pulling out on top when all is said and done (probably way down the road).