By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: Final Fantasy 13 needs 10 times the success of average titles.

outlawauron said:
Naum said:
I'm not surprised it have been developed since 2004.

2005 we saw the first pictures.

I wouldn't say development started that early. They might have been throwing ideas around, but the PS3 dev kits weren't even available until early 2006.

Well maybe the game itself wasn't starting to be developed 2004 but alot of the planning etc etc was.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

it was as ps2 game before, then changed development to ps3, but it was probaly just paper.

Naum said:
outlawauron said:
Naum said:
I'm not surprised it have been developed since 2004.

2005 we saw the first pictures.

I wouldn't say development started that early. They might have been throwing ideas around, but the PS3 dev kits weren't even available until early 2006.

Well maybe the game itself wasn't starting to be developed 2004 but alot of the planning etc etc was.

Yeah, I would they were just throwing possible ideas around. Not really actual development.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

O.o shit.......that's insane.

*Gratuitous falme-bait signature that mocks two or more consoles while praising another*

Between the 360 and PS3, the game should sell between 7 - 9M lifetime

Around the Network

I agree. I'd guess an average game (in their mind) is 500,000 copies. 10 x .05 = 5 mill.

So is the budget of FF13 $15x5 million = $75 million ballpark

So... 5 to 10 million.

Depending on if they meant average game or average HD game.

5 Million should be really easy.

10 Million... doable but tough.

Squilliam said:
It depends. If they use the Wii as the baseline they would only need to sell 100,000 copies.

That implies that development costs are well over $100,000,000! Say hello to most expensive game of all times?

Well to be fair it seems like he was just balparking a guess... and one based on expectations and not cost or profitability.

I assume a game like Final Fantasy 13 is expected to do more then break even and it's expectations would be to bring in megacash.

That will be no issue at all, the game will easily sell 5 million WW at absolute worst. Some games can have such development times and $$$ spent because they know the game will make the money back easily ala GT5........also something in the development went wrong. :/

I am more interested in where FFXIV goes, Kitase did say that making console RPG's costs have become extremely high so that most probably means these two games are the last ones the HD twins will get. That is unless the costs for the next FF game would decrease dramatically since the engine has been made but the problem with that is that the engine is multi-plat.

Interesting either way however the one thing I would like to see is both FFXIII and Versus to sell very nicely. Also those saying FFXIII will sell anywhere under 2 million in Japan need a slap across the face. It's been 3 years people FFXIII is a lock on to sell at least 2 million.

i don't think s-e has anything to worry about in terms of sales. should post a bigger first week number than the LTD's of all other current-gen titles in Japan thus far.

It's all about the game.