By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: Final Fantasy 13 needs 10 times the success of average titles.

Average game.

Remember.
54% of games don't make it past 300k sales.
72% do not make it past 500k.
90% do not make it past 800k.
97% do not make it past 1 million.
99.5% do not make it past 2 million.

Average is around 200-300k, thus 2-3 million sold, meaning basically Japan only.

Around the Network

What makes you think VS needs 3.5 million to break even (unless you're quoting from an interview)?  That seems absurdly high.

Khuutra said:
lilwingman said:
Khuutra said:
lilwingman said:
i don't think s-e has anything to worry about in terms of sales. should post a bigger first week number than the LTD's of all other next-gen titles in Japan thus far.

Now when you say "thus far", do you mean up to this point or up until the game's release? If the former, I don't know if that's all that impressive (save for Pokemon), and if the latter it'd have a Hell of a time beating Dragon Quest IX.

i wasn't really including handhelds when i said that.  anyway, DS has almost 10x the installed base of PS3, if DQIX doesn't outsell FFXIII in JAP than there's something definitely wrong.

Wait

Are you counting Wii Sports?

To be quite honest I was only talking about the HD consoles, so don't feel too bad about the misread :P

It's all about the game.

JamesCizuz said:
Average game.

Remember.
54% of games don't make it past 300k sales.
72% do not make it past 500k.
90% do not make it past 800k.
97% do not make it past 1 million.
99.5% do not make it past 2 million.

Average is around 200-300k, thus 2-3 million sold, meaning basically Japan only.

Where are you getting these numbers from?

PS3 = 4-5 million
Xbox = 2-3 million

thats realistic and in my eyes a sucess!

Also do not understand how heavily understand how much FFXIII and Versus will be advertised? SE are going to go all out, I remember when I was back in Tokyo for every flagship FF game that released by the time of the release it seemed that everyone knew about it. SE is not going to spare any expenses especially after having spent so much money on the development of both games.

FFXIII and Versus will both sell 1 million first week in Japan at WORST with WW sales first week for both easily topping the 2 million mark. Making money on this game will be no problem; question is how big the profit margin will be. Again I predict huge profit.

Around the Network

I'm going to say it will sell to about a fifth of all ps3 owners and an tenth of 360 owners
so if it released immediately it would be ~4m and 2.7m.

FF14 is ff versus.
the name will change and it will go multi

blackstar said:
FF14 is ff versus.

LOL. That would sure as hell be interesting. I wonder how most fans would react to an action RPG as a flagship/main branch FF title.

4 ≈ One

Seriously 5million sales before the game is viable. Doesn't this sound extremely bad design philisophy?

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Dgc1808 said:
blackstar said:
FF14 is ff versus.

LOL. That would sure as hell be interesting. I wonder how most fans would react to an action RPG as a flagship/main branch FF title.

namoura or whoever he is ,stated many times that versus will be like the traditional FF saying

"it will be more traditional FF than ff13."