By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your best ending of all time in a videogame ?

twesterm said:
Reasonable said:
twesterm said:
Reasonable said:

Dude, you keep showing your own lack of knowledge and your 'games are a young medium' reveals all. No game has come close, period, to the best in literature and film. Give me one game that's the equal of a Kubrick movie or a JG Ballard novel

This goes back to what I said to why does a game have to be as good as the best to be considered good?

There are none. Bioshock is a shallow experience with a basic narrative borrowed from older games which borrowed from SF novels and film structures. It is nothing to hold up. As for characters I call BS. The closest I've felt to videogame characters is probably Ico and Yorda, but that is still nothing to the feelings the best films and books elicit.

how many great movies or books have built off of or even borrowed from other movies are books? Are those suddenly bad too?

As for talent, as I said there's plenty of great games talent - but you name me creative writing talent on even a par with average films and books?

I'm afraid I'm bad with names and even have trouble remembering the most famous ones (on one particularly slow day I even asked who Miyamoto was >_>), but there is plenty of fantastic writing in games. Even a thread like this shows you how many great moments and well written games there are and I'm sure if you made a thread titles "what are the best written games" you would come up with a long list of very well written games.

Also, it seems you missed my point about games still being a young media. Find me a handful of films from the 1920's that matched any of your Kubric films. Books, movies, and plays have been around *much* longer than games so there is a much wider selection.

As for your actions influencing the story - so far that's no better than the adventure books I sometimes read/played as a kid, where you picked one path and got a bit more story. Games are interactive, but so far this has been used only in the barest bones manner with regard to anything other than basic gameplay.

You know, perhaps if those books were well written they might have actually been good. That's like calling all horror novels shit because R.L. Stine is a shitty writer.

Again, the best interaction I've seen is Ico, the beat of Yorda's hand as you hold it was a superb little device. But interaction doesn't equal the level of characterisation a film/book can give automatically - again this is where games are terribly immature still. Ico and Yorda work well but are limited. As for games like Bioshock, its a great game, but narratively you are a walking MaGuffin who can't influence squat in the game, it pulls terribly obvious twists and its interaction with characters is limited to a few chats with someone on the other side of a piece of glass. Hell, in many ways you could argue Bioshock is a step back from the interaction of Deus Ex and the superior influence you had on the story there.

Interaction doesn't automatically mean good, but it sure helps. It helps you become so much more connected to a character in a way a book or movie cannot.

Sorry, but I'm afraid I find your points are the ones that fail. You have given zero feedback on my points to negate them other than losing your cool and repeating yourself louder.

Fine, see above. And you failed to answer my question-- why can games never be as good as movies?

I guess this is a sore point for you - but if you can't see how far games have to go (if they go in that direction at all) to get near film/literature levels of characterisation and narrative them I'm afraid its you that knows nothing.

Maybe you should read a little more and take in a few more films?

Also, should a mod be 'fuck fuck fucking' away like a child when his points are disputed or, heaven forbid, shot down?

Why the fuck not?

Are you kidding me? Or maybe you've been listen to Peter Molyneux going on (incorrectly) about how games are going to surprass films like The Godfather by 2016 and actually believe him. Clue - he's almost certainly wrong. Well, unless we continue to lower standards for literature and art by 2016 anyway.

Again, give me a reason why he's most certainly wrong? All you given me is games are currently not as good as the best books or films. Like I said-- no shit Sherlock. Games are still a young medium and constantly getting better.

Hell, look at something like Doom and Gears of War. Doom was your typical action game of 1994 and Gears of War was your typical action game of 2006 and look at the leaps and bounds in story telling in a mere 10 years. Are you telling me in the 10 years following Gears of War that there won't be even more leaps and bounds?

I'm not calling the Gears story brilliant by any means, but you cannot deny that games are getting better and better at everything they do with every year passes.

I'll keep it simple since you seem to have trouble with the thread of my points.

1) I'm not saying videogames can't be good - I believe they can

2) I am saying that so far they haven't really. And sorry, but anyone arguing about JRPG characters or Gears or Bioshock is refusing to see the gulf between almost every videogame with a story/narrative/characters and the level they'd have to hit to be considered equal or even in the ballpark with literature/films

3) I do believe there has been improvement, but its tiny and damned slow and actually more likely to slow up than accelerate with the current focus on selling millions with another shooter vs anything more artistic

4) Again, I've seen zero evidence of interaction meaning more involvement - as I judge it anyway. Interaction is proactive and interesting, and I've never seen any evidence it can be used to drive the same level of involvement as a film/book in its characters

So its simple, there are great videogames, there are some good stories within the realm of videogames compared to other videogames, there are no videogames I'd compare to even average (not the best) films/books.

I hope to see it one day, and I do expect to see improvement, but I very, very, very much doubt a videogame is going to equal the artistic achievement of The Godfather by 2016. Why, its clear that the process is too embryonic right now, and its clear that with a very few exceptions (and even there I'm being generious) videogames are in copy mode, not create mode.

That's fucking why! (Just joining in since you seem to like the expression).

Lets pretend you're good at x, or at least think you're good at x. Well I tell you that you suck at and I have no reason to ever believe you will be good at x because you are not as good as the best.

That is your argument.

Because in your opinion there is no game that tells a story as well as the Godfather games as a medium are worse at story telling than books and films and there's no reason to believe they will ever be at the level of books or films.

That's bullshit.

Games do not have to be better than the best, they just have to be in the same league and they are. You've given me reaons why games aren't currently the best, but that doesn't matter.

I can give you 100 examples of how games are better than the next Hannah Montana movie, does that mean games are suddenly better?

Of course not because that is fucking stupid. Games are without a doubt in the same league as books, films, and theater and it's just stupid to think otherwise because you don't feel a connection.

Your argument totally makes sense if you're arguing which is currently better, that's fine, but not that games aren't in the same league as books and films.

I'm going to finish this here because we quite clearly disagree on the core element, as opinioned in your final sentance - In short, I don't believe that games are yet in the same league as books and films as an artistic medium to convey a story.

I do believe they can, and that they will be, but I would argue they're not there yet.  The narrative devices, confidence and maturity displayed so far in 99.9% of videogames is simply not at that level yet.

I've given reasons - you've shown anger but presented few true arguements in return that I've seen.  In truth, your statements comprise of little more than shouting 'yes they are' very loudly.

As for this:

Lets pretend you're good at x, or at least think you're good at x. Well I tell you that you suck at and I have no reason to ever believe you will be good at x because you are not as good as the best.

That's not my point at all.  It's this.

You and many others are good at Y.  As part of Y you are evolving to be good at Z.  You are currently not great at Z compared to the very real alternatives, based on the evidence presented in Y (Y being a great videogame and Z being a great narrative and theme).

But look, I'm on your side really, because I want to see that progression.  But I'm not going to pretent it's there yet.  I simply have to watch a good film or read a good book - not the best mind you, just decent, to see that at their best videogames are still far below the average capabilities of those mediums and are apeing their most basic techniques in a relatively faltering way.

Still, I'll keep playing and see what each new title brings to the table in this regard.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
twesterm said:
TruckOSaurus said:
twesterm said:
TruckOSaurus said:

While I agree with the games you listed, I would never say games are a better platform for storytelling than movies. The sole purpose of a movie is to tell you a story while a game has to focus on other things which makes it impossible to be as involving as a movie.

You can become just as ingrossed in characters in games as you can a book or movie. You can even become more attached to a game character since you're the one controlling it.

I've yet to encounter a game that made me feel the way I felt when I saw Andy Dufresne's escape in Shawshank's Redemption or when you see the citizens marching on Parliament in V for Vendetta.

So because a game is not as good as some of the best books out there they can't be better than any book?

Okay, I see where you're going with this. Sure a game can be better a than a so-so book or even better than a good-but-not-stellar book but if we're talking about what mediums are best at telling a story, I think movies and books have the upper hand.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for video games to achieve the greatness of some of the best books and movies but as of now they are very far from reaching that point. But video games are relatively young compared to movies and books so maybe they'll get there one day.

Shadow of the Colossus' ending.

It is not only a great _narrative_ ending. It is perfect in the way it is a great _game narrative_ ending. It stands up there with great works of art.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

I'm going to go with Super Mario World when I was 8 years old. At the time it was truly beautiful. If it were to have come out last week I probably wouldn't have cared though. Just the kiss from the princess, the credits rolling with the rogues gallery in tow and all the Yoshis partying with Mario at the end. Awesome, awesome ending, and no I'm not kidding.

To get a few words into the "Are videogames a good storytelling medium?" I just wanted to add that I feel no matter how good games get at it, they will always be hindered by the fact that they need to be played. It limits the range of stories that can be told. Sure you can get a Lord of the Rings or Star Wars like story out of a videogame because you can play the action. However how do you create something along the lines of About Schmidt or Adaptation in a game? It's hard to create a small personal drama without a large portion revolving around violence and physical conflict. It's also difficult to create a story with that takes place in our world in a realistic setting that has no sci fi or fantasy elements in it. That I feel will in many ways be the problem with getting storytelling out of games. Books, TV and films don't have that issue. They can create stories out of anything.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:

I'm going to go with Super Mario World when I was 8 years old. At the time it was truly beautiful. If it were to have come out last week I probably wouldn't have cared though. Just the kiss from the princess, the credits rolling with the rogues gallery in tow and all the Yoshis partying with Mario at the end. Awesome, awesome ending, and no I'm not kidding.

To get a few words into the "Are videogames a good storytelling medium?" I just wanted to add that I feel no matter how good games get at it, they will always be hindered by the fact that they need to be played. It limits the range of stories that can be told. Sure you can get a Lord of the Rings or Star Wars like story out of a videogame because you can play the action. However how do you create something along the lines of About Schmidt or Adaptation in a game? It's hard to create a small personal drama without a large portion revolving around violence and physical conflict. It's also difficult to create a story with that takes place in our world in a realistic setting that has no sci fi or fantasy elements in it. That I feel will in many ways be the problem with getting storytelling out of games. Books, TV and films don't have that issue. They can create stories out of anything.

You know, you've just nicely put something I was personally trying too hard to convey about videogames as a medium.  Thanks.

Carl2291 said:
Crisis Core ending is pure epic.
Metal Gear Solid 3 has the most emotional ending of any game.
Metal Gear Solid 4 has the second most emotional.

The best ending in Suikoden 2 is also one of the greats.

I agree 100%.

Around the Network

I would have to go with FFX.

I'm going to have to go with Braid. The final part of that game is the most brilliant ending I have seen in any game. It still gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

Well, Reasonable, what I said still stands.

And.... as to the ability to tell smaller, more personal stories? That's not really true either. Nobody's really hit on the magic number for it, yet, but dating sims are big in Japan and games like Harvest Moon show that it is possible.

Khuutra said:
Well, Reasonable, what I said still stands.

And.... as to the ability to tell smaller, more personal stories? That's not really true either. Nobody's really hit on the magic number for it, yet, but dating sims are big in Japan and games like Harvest Moon show that it is possible.

I liked your points to be sure, and while I think we see games at different levels of progression I think we both enjoy seeing certain designers taking increasingly more confident strides with narrative.

I think the crux is that it is possible, but no one is really reliably doing it yet. As a final word on the topic, here are the titles that I've been by far the most impressed with so far (I'm sure there are others but there's just no time/budget to play everything!):

1) Ico - a simple tale in many regards, it shows a concrete vision and superior level of execution of its theme. I was particularly impressed with the simple elegance of the small, but very effective, cutscenes. These showed a bit of a reliance on non-interactive storytelling but were really nicely done. From an interactive point of view the use of the castle as a character, the puzzles and the general atmosphere was fantastic. Of particular note is the use of Yorda and the mechanic of holding hands. When all is said and done it comes together wonderfully at the end and delivers a suprisingly moving emotional punch. In their animation and what they do Ico and Yorda are nicely distinctive characters. Oh, if only more videogames could mix such elegant use of gaming mechanics and narrative devices

2) SOTC - much the same as Ico above so I'll just note that the title showed progression in depth of theme and the use of setting and atmosphere, as well as building to an even more satisfying conlcusion, however the chosen story did result in less affecting characters and certainly Wander does not make the same impression as a character as Ico and Yorda did. So two steps forward one back, but a fantastic game, and again great use of interaction and familiar themes.

3) Deus Ex - sure the levels were a bit ugly, sure the voice overs wobbled here and there (well, most everywhere to be honest), sure the combat was a little clunky - but the ambition, the interaction and subtly changing story points. The real sense of moral ambiguity (something very rare in videogames and normaly presented in the trite manner of Fallout 3 or marginally better as in Bioshock) and depth of setting. It seemed hell bent on sqeezing in every conspiracy angle from Area 51 to The Illuminati but it was globe trotting, showed a clear narrative structure (apart from the weak 4 endings bit) and contained more ambition than 10 individual games at once. Will we ever see its like again? I hope so, particularly as they're preping number 3, but number 2 has left me cautious that videogames in general have retreated from the potential Deus Ex showed (damn those low sales).

4) Grim Fandango - it probably seems quaint now as a game, with its puzzles and lack of combat, but it still has a fantastic narrative, probably the best characters in a game ever IMHO thanks to perhaps some of the best and most consistent voice work I've heard in a game ever, and when they take that final train at the end for a few previous moments I believed they really were going to a better place. Some people have films and books they always return to - this remains the only game I will return to every few years just to remember how mature, fun and expressive a videogame can be in the right hands. Why aren't there more Film Noir hommage titles set in the Land of the Dead?

5) Silent Hill 2 - sure the controls are clunky, that's part of what makes it work, sure the voice overs (English anyway) are some of the worst ever, but the psychological depth it shows, the confident use of design and setting to bring to life one, very real, very human man's inner hell to life is second to none IMHO. Everything in the game is bent to the narrative, everything. SH1 showed the promise, 3, 4 & now 5 have squandered it to an extent. But here, you were playing a game, but the game itself was subservient to the story and the character. How rare is that? The revelations, although clear enough if you're paying attention, take genuine risks (SPOILER WARNING - Few games really ask you to contemplate that, for a very mixed and conflicting set of reasons, your character killed their wife, possibly as a mercy killing, possibly to end their own life of misery chained to a dying person, possibly both.) Number 3 was fun but a by the numbers replay of number 1 with some cues from 2 thrown in. 4 got back to some of what made 2 the best, but suffered from confused game mechanics (probably because the game started as a new IP and was bent to fit Silent Hill series instead) while 5 is what I feared, a remake by a Western company who can copy but not create.

zelda ocarina of time