By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your best ending of all time in a videogame ?

TruckOSaurus said:
KBG29 said:
FFX
MGS3
MGS4

All had equaly impressive endings. They are the few games I have played that felt like I learned, and accomplished something with playing them. 95% of the rest of the games I have played have only been as good as a movie. These titles truly showed how much better a story telling platform gameds are.

While I agree with the games you listed, I would never say games are a better platform for storytelling than movies. The sole purpose of a movie is to tell you a story while a game has to focus on other things which makes it impossible to be as involving as a movie.

You can become just as ingrossed in characters in games as you can a book or movie. You can even become more attached to a game character since you're the one controlling it.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
TruckOSaurus said:

While I agree with the games you listed, I would never say games are a better platform for storytelling than movies. The sole purpose of a movie is to tell you a story while a game has to focus on other things which makes it impossible to be as involving as a movie.

You can become just as ingrossed in characters in games as you can a book or movie. You can even become more attached to a game character since you're the one controlling it.

I've yet to encounter a game that made me feel the way I felt when I saw Andy Dufresne's escape in Shawshank's Redemption or when you see the citizens marching on Parliament in V for Vendetta.

Signature goes here!

Metal Gear Solid 1-2-3
Shadow of the colossus

TruckOSaurus said:
twesterm said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I've yet to encounter a game that made me feel the way I felt when I saw Andy Dufresne's escape in Shawshank's Redemption or when you see the citizens marching on Parliament in V for Vendetta.

So because a game is not as good as some of the best books out there they can't be better than or as good as any book?

Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past.

Period.

Damn, the ending is magic, you can see the whole world spinning better freed from Ganondorf's malefices. But the best is Link putting back Excalibur 'where it shall rest... Forever !'

Linky : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixqFPJU8LQ

Around the Network

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue. Epilogue and everything after it.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

twesterm said:
TruckOSaurus said:
twesterm said:
TruckOSaurus said:

So because a game is not as good as some of the best books out there they can't be better than any book?

Okay, I see where you're going with this. Sure a game can be better a than a so-so book or even better than a good-but-not-stellar book but if we're talking about what mediums are best at telling a story, I think movies and books have the upper hand.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for video games to achieve the greatness of some of the best books and movies but as of now they are very far from reaching that point. But video games are relatively young compared to movies and books so maybe they'll get there one day.

Signature goes here!

SmokedHostage said:
Pokemon Gold.. after battling Red.

I cried with resolve. I screamed in joy. I grinned with satsification.

In short, 200 hours of play all put to an end made this my most enjoyed ending ever.

I never beat the guy.... it pissed me... off...

My last attempt: 3 pokemon. Maganium, Pidgeot, Onix. All 3 of them on Lvl 60....

OT: MGS3.

4 ≈ One

TruckOSaurus said:
twesterm said:
TruckOSaurus said:
twesterm said:
TruckOSaurus said:

So because a game is not as good as some of the best books out there they can't be better than any book?

Okay, I see where you're going with this. Sure a game can be better a than a so-so book or even better than a good-but-not-stellar book but if we're talking about what mediums are best at telling a story, I think movies and books have the upper hand.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for video games to achieve the greatness of some of the best books and movies but as of now they are very far from reaching that point. But video games are relatively young compared to movies and books so maybe they'll get there one day.

So why do you think games can't tell as good as a story as books or movies?  They have access to everything both of those have.

Going back to Fable II, that ending touched me much more than many books have just because of how it was done and the things I did and didn't do.

If I look at something like Final Fantasy VI, I was very attached to those characters by the end of the game and had a connection to each of them because of the strong character development.

It's either FFX or FFIX can't decide. FFVII was also good.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

My Most Wanted Games: StarCraft II, Diablo III, Next console Zelda, and Final Fantasy VII remake.