By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DSi NO MPS3 playback WTF!!!

3GP is todays standard for mobile devices (or, to be more specific, 3G mobile phones, but for the reason, 3GP support is the most important standard in all mobile devices).

MP3 isn't a set standard for devices, like 3GP/MPEG-4/AAC.

Not having MP3 playback in DSi (or Wii for that matter), is an issue of cost, but considering the format is going to be obsolete and all devices should support AAC (it's also the format most consumer devices record the audio), i don't see much point in having MP3 support (outside i being the most commonly used compression today), if we are talking about tradeoff between MP3 and AAC.

As for Wii supporting AAC and not MP3, the idea is, that you transfer your files from your mobile device to Wii, that record to AAC format, not to play your pirated records. The compatibility is much more better.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I heard from wikipedia that AAC has better sound quilty then MP3 player.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

bdbdbd said:
3GP is todays standard for mobile devices (or, to be more specific, 3G mobile phones, but for the reason, 3GP support is the most important standard in all mobile devices).

Not having MP3 playback in DSi (or Wii for that matter), is an issue of cost, but considering the format is going to be obsolete and all devices should support AAC (it's also the format most consumer devices record the audio), i don't see much point in having MP3 support (outside i being the most commonly used compression today), if we are talking about tradeoff between MP3 and AAC.

As for Wii supporting AAC and not MP3, the idea is, that you transfer your files from your mobile device to Wii, that record to AAC format, not to play your pirated records. The compatibility is much more better.

the standard is mp3, CDs are now ripped in Mp3 192-320/Flac by most of CD users.

not AAC,  and mobiles devices support Mp3+AAC and even WMA and AAC+

Jo21 said:
bdbdbd said:

the standard is mp3, CDs are now ripped in Mp3 192-320/Flac by most of CD users.

The standard is being changed. Just like vinyl records were replaced by CD's.

If you don't think so, the sales numbers of i-tunes music store would like a word with you. 

And really, pressing a button to convert is SOOOOO hard. Not like in the past, when a format change meant you had to repurchase all of your music in the latest format.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Shanobi said:
Jo21 said:
bdbdbd said:

If you don't think so, the sales numbers of i-tunes music store would like a word with you.

And really, pressing a button to convert is SOOOOO hard. Not like in the past, when a format change meant you had to repurchase all of your music in the latest format.

You're right about the changing of the format, but it's not because it's "SOOOOO hard", it's because it's a pain in the ass for quite some people, and that as somebody pointed out, there isn't any mention of that (conversion) on the manual (not that that it should have, but... it's blue ocean, right? It could be easier to deal).

"How hard would it be to randomize facial features and skin tones? That's what we want, to feel like we're killing hundreds of different people. Not a bunch of clones or twins. We want to know, deep down, that there are hundreds of grieving mothers out there, lamenting the terror of our dreaded blade."

Cracked.com ( http://www.cracked.com/article_16196_p4.html ), saying the Hardcore gamers' dark truth. And it's Hell True.

Around the Network
Shanobi said:
Jo21 said:
bdbdbd said:

convert degrates the quality and also many people have their songs in mp3. AAC is nice but mp3 is the standard even if being "changed" which isn't.

even when facing out old technology the old was sold for a long while.

Jo21 said:
Shanobi said:
Jo21 said:
bdbdbd said:

convert degrates the quality and also many people have their songs in mp3. AAC is nice but mp3 is the standard even if being "changed" which isn't.

even when facing out old technology the old was sold for a long while.

Exact;y.  And some of you may not believe it but the music world does not revolve around Apple store.  The way people get music on their digital audio players is not simply by buying it from itunes.  Most buy cds and rip to MP3.  To suggest everyone should drop their MP3s they have been collecting for a decade is silly.  And it isn't simply a click of a button.  Do you realise how long it would take to convert all your music if you have for example 20GB.  And what of the drop in quality caused by conversion?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

in the years ive had my ds, ive never thought 'man i want to listen to an mp3!'

i mean who cares, fuck all these jack of all trades systems, ds focuses on games and its better for it

psp focuses on whatever is a fad right now, and the games either suck or are pretty infrequent

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

tuoyo said:
Jo21 said:

even when phasing out old technology the old was sold for a long while.
Exact;y.  And some of you may not believe it but the music world does not revolve around Apple store.  The way people get music on their digital audio players is not simply by buying it from itunes.  Most buy cds and rip to MP3.  To suggest everyone should drop their MP3s they have been collecting for a decade is silly.  And it isn't simply a click of a button.  Do you realise how long it would take to convert all your music if you have for example 20GB.  And what of the drop in quality caused by conversion?

Get an SD card and put AAC-converted COPIES onto it to play in the DSi. You have your precious MP3s at original quality and also the AACs. Problem solved right? As for degradation, no offense to the DSi but will you really be able to notice?

As for time it takes to convert: Do it while you're asleep.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
tuoyo said:
Jo21 said:

even when phasing out old technology the old was sold for a long while.

Get an SD card and put AAC-converted COPIES onto it to play in the DSi. You have your precious MP3s at original quality and also the AACs. Problem solved right? As for degradation, no offense to the DSi but will you really be able to notice?

As for time it takes to convert: Do it while you're asleep.

well i dont think it's fun to convert over 16gb of music (which fit a SD card easily)