By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't the 360 have lots of people in online matches yet the PS3 can????

It must have to do with the 360's lack of dedicated servers or overall architecture of the online system. It absolutely is not the hardware in the console as I've played 64 player games on PC games with PC's that were far less powerful than any of these consoles.

Around the Network

It's dedicated servers. This type of connection is far superior to P2P no matter if there is 2 vs. 2 or 30 vs. 30.

Well why doesn't MS us dedicated servers?? are P2P cheaper to buy and support?

De85 said:
yo_john117 said:

I've been reading everywhere how the 360 can't have many people in online matches, yet the PS3 can have huge amounts of people in online matches (eample: mag) 

Why is that so? 

Is it because the 360 developers just aren't trying to have lots of people in online matches or what???

This, if the game and the multiplayer game types aren't designed to work with lots of people then merely upping the player count degrades the quality of the experience and the game is reduced to a giant clusterf*ck.

I remember how much fun I thought it would be to have 16 vs 16 in PDZ but I had more fun when it was 8 vs 8. It just gets so Chaotic sometimes it gets hard to focus. This is especially true if it's objective based gameplay and no one is communicating or worse everyone is trying to talk at the same time. However there have been games that can do it well, and there are times when you can enjoy a big clusterfuck of violence. There were a few times in PDZ where it was a full 32 vs 32 and I put on bots. Good times...

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Any game can have 64 players,how ever the more players you have the less quality you have IMO.

Around the Network

I hate this whole idea that the more players in a single match the better the match. The best games are with a small team vs a small team.

Badassbab said:
I hate this whole idea that the more players in a single match the better the match. The best games are with a small team vs a small team.

i Agree but... 

The thing about MAG is that nothing like it was ever done b4... so you wont know untill u try :)....

whenever i play big team in halo 3, theres always more lag than regular 4v4 team slayer. so i think 360 just doesnt have as good servers as ps3's online service.

yo_john117 said:
Well why doesn't MS us dedicated servers?? are P2P cheaper to buy and support?

Do you know what P2P is? P2P, or peer-to-peer, is basically the users hosting the content. I don't know to what extent they use P2P on Live... But I wouldn't be too optimistic about it.

And all of you that say small players counts are the best: shut up. It's all about design. If they want it to work with few players, they design it that way. Personally I'd say well designed big player numbers are better than well-designed small player numbers. Clan matches and such may be exceptions.

Badassbab said:

Exactly

16 player matches in KZ2 are the better way to play (maybe 22 in that one big map), but 32 player is just random chaos and it’s not fun