By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't the 360 have lots of people in online matches yet the PS3 can????

Good luck finding players ten years later. Besides, 360 games still require Live and who knows what will have happened since now?

Around the Network

Unfortunately the Console model is not like the PC model. The dedicated servers need to be hosted by somebody. I am not sure the dedicated server model exists in the same way it does for most PC games allowing a game to continue way after everyone else has forgotten the title. The only problem I see with the dedicated server model on a console is the fact the dedicated servers will get switched off.

The model adopted by the 360 is p2p which technically as long as one person hosts will still have a server to play on.

Most 360 games have excellent multiplayer capabilities and features but they suffer the biggest problem of all in my opinion. That of the person hosting the server turning off his machine, also the dedicated servers allow for a community to build up without the need to actually form any close bond.

The 360 has had dedicated servers Battlefield being one game that springs to mind but it certainly is not common. Large games simply cannot exist in the p2p model because of the host going to bed issue.

I would like to see Microsoft invest in dedicated servers for the more popular games and that would be a good investment of my gold membership.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
yo_john117 said:
Well why doesn't MS us dedicated servers?? are P2P cheaper to buy and support?

P2P is practically free, by comparison to dedicated servers.  If you have dedicated servers, someone has to own the servers, pay for the bandwidth, etc.  If you use P2P, you're just leveraging the connectivity and processing power of the players involved, with some minor matchmaking overhead that you provide.

So yes, despite PSN being free, Sony pays for dedicated online servers as well.  XBLive costs, and you pretty much get P2P only.  P2P games are the ones where you really have lag issues, typically.  Servers go a long way toward reducing lag for everyone but the players with bad connections, and toward providing a less hackable game environment as well.

When you see people whine about XBL online compared to PSN, they're basically whining about P2P vs dedicated server play -- its not directly related to the services themselves, but rather highlighting the fact that Sony (1st & 2nd party games) tend to have rock solid client-server networking models, and MS 1st/2nd party, as well as most 3rd party games on both systems, tend to have flakier (but cheap, from the publisher's perspective) P2P models.

If Qore came with it, I would gladly pay for PSN annually for those reasons.  I wouldn't pay for XBL Gold though, unless they started providing the same kind of service for Halo ODST, Halo 3, etc.  The honest truth is that, despite lacking a few glitter features that XBL Gold has (which are esp. great for matchmaking), PSN is the far superior service when it comes right down to the fundamentals of online gaming.

CGI-Quality said:
Garnett said:
Any game can have 64 players,how ever the more players you have the less quality you have IMO.

Resistance wouldn't agree with you.

Coop is the real star of R2,64 player coop? no horrible.

kutasek said:
Just you can fit more people into the game doesn't mean it's gonna be fun. Imagine Halo 3 with 32 people, everyone would be stealing kills left and right. Anything above 20 in Killzone 2 is unplayable to me.

what? 32 people games are not even an issue in kz2 (when factions are balanced lol). You can always spawn away from the traffic and pick people off.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
De85 said:
yo_john117 said:

I've been reading everywhere how the 360 can't have many people in online matches, yet the PS3 can have huge amounts of people in online matches (eample: mag) 

Why is that so? 

Is it because the 360 developers just aren't trying to have lots of people in online matches or what???

This, if the game and the multiplayer game types aren't designed to work with lots of people then merely upping the player count degrades the quality of the experience and the game is reduced to a giant clusterf*ck.

Ok, some sony fanboys make it sound as if games like mag with lots of players in one match are impossible on the 360 and only possible on the PS3

If the PS3 games are consistently having more players in each mach, I figure it's mainly because of the servers.  Maybe Sony has dedicated better servers for thier online match-making systems.

I suppose that since the PS3 has more processing power that maybe that helps when running games with many players, but I have the feeling that the server side has more to do with it.

Also, the game needs to be geared towards that many players.  Playing World in Conflict with 64 players would be stupid; The game is geared mainly towards 8v8 matches.

ocnkng said:
yo_john117 said:
ocnkng said:
Garnett said:
ocnkng said:
Garnett said:
Any game can have 64 players,how ever the more players you have the less quality you have IMO.

Ya if you are playing on Live which sucks at online multiplayer.

At the PSN I can start playing multiplayer with any number of people without any worries.

Play 64 player killzone 2,256 player R2,oh wait you cant play ANY number of people.

Sony is using Dedicated Servers,which are nothing new,and the game MP can be cut eventually,but 360 games can go on even till xbox 1080,P2P is for ever,Dedicated is only for a limited time untill Sony cuts it off,So i guess you can say the 360 online is...Future Proof?

So you are saying that the 360 online is better coz even though it provides a considerably suckier experience right now it will be better in the future?

So I guess we should all pack our games up and plan on playing them 10 years later (With backward compatibility on the xbox 1080)

Wow...enlightening

I don't know where your getting the 360 has a "considerably suckier experience" because it VERY RARLEY lags, and most of the lag is due to lag switching. 

I never played Halo3 on live but I faced lots of lag when playing RainBow 6: Vegas online. Also when I tried to go online with Gears 2 I had to wait in the lobby for 5 mins waiting for people to join. Its not that same experience in PSN where you can start playing with 15 - 30 players within a few seconds in games like R2, COD:WaW and KZ2. Oh and with that many people playing together still very few instances of lag.

That's not lag or servers, that's just the matchmaking system, and it was not implemented correctly in that game.  Most of the time I am in a match within 30 seconds in any 360 game.

Oh and technically, P2P will continue to get better, because all P2P relies on is a fast download/upload internet speed, so as internet speeds increase accross the boards, so will the quality of the gaming over P2P.  Dedicated servers are better, but for most of the shooter games created in the last 2 generations, they are designed and best played with 16 total players or less.  I've played R2 and KZ2 and hated larger matches.  32 players was about the max I could stand before it just wasn't organized, wasn't challenging, and wasn't fun.

nightsurge said:

That's not lag or servers, that's just the matchmaking system, and it was not implemented correctly in that game.  Most of the time I am in a match within 30 seconds in any 360 game.

Oh and technically, P2P will continue to get better, because all P2P relies on is a fast download/upload internet speed, so as internet speeds increase accross the boards, so will the quality of the gaming over P2P.  Dedicated servers are better, but for most of the shooter games created in the last 2 generations, they are designed and best played with 16 total players or less.  I've played R2 and KZ2 and hated larger matches.  32 players was about the max I could stand before it just wasn't organized, wasn't challenging, and wasn't fun.

I agree with Nightsurge about the lag issues in lobbies being game-specific, and not having much to do with the service provider at all.

I disagree with the P2P improvement, though, except at the most basic level of "everyone in a P2P game will tend to have a better connection".  P2P is inherently dragged down by the slowest guy, and that's not going to change over time -- only the fact that the slowest guy will tend to not be as slow.  The bigger the match gets, the more players there are to be "the slowest", the more bandwidth you have to pass around to everyone, and the problem gets worse.  P2P will never be feasible for games beyond about 16 v 16, due to some restrictions, that cannot be altered by the mere passage of time... like the speed of light.

Or can it?  Another topic I suppose. =)

Deathmatch and the like maybe 20 players servers are sufficient but for squad based games such as Battlefield and goal orientated team games such as COD then tbh you cannot beat a good old 64 player server.

Call of Duty 4 with 64 players on a PC rocks when playing the right mode and tis a shame because primarily of no dedicated server support that the 360 community cannot get involved also.

The 360 live system has a lot to be praised for but the lack of dedicated server support from Microsoft for the big hitters is frankly embarrassing. Whereas I would agree that p2p games will get better with regards to connectivity issues the simple fact is once that guy goes so does the server and you have to find another home.

I do not play p2p very often the only games on my PC that had it were the COD WAW coop mode and BIA. Unfortunately the p2p experience sucked because of the server closing unexpectedly. I rarely play any game online via my xbox COD 2 and a bit of Halo being the only times I can think of and both have been fine game wise just crap for people staying online long enought to enjoy a good game at times.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
ocnkng said:
Garnett said:
ocnkng said:
Garnett said:

Ya if you are playing on Live which sucks at online multiplayer.

At the PSN I can start playing multiplayer with any number of people without any worries.

Play 64 player killzone 2,256 player R2,oh wait you cant play ANY number of people.

Sony is using Dedicated Servers,which are nothing new,and the game MP can be cut eventually,but 360 games can go on even till xbox 1080,P2P is for ever,Dedicated is only for a limited time untill Sony cuts it off,So i guess you can say the 360 online is...Future Proof?

So you are saying that the 360 online is better coz even though it provides a considerably suckier experience right now it will be better in the future?

So I guess we should all pack our games up and plan on playing them 10 years later (With backward compatibility on the xbox 1080)

Wow...enlightening

Wasn't that Sony's entire business plan when the PS3 launched? "Terrible now... but we swear, games/online experience COMING!"