By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't the 360 have lots of people in online matches yet the PS3 can????

In a P2P setup, there is no limit to having just one host.  You could have a heirarchial approach where there is one master host, with several hosts handling a subset of the clients.  Each subset could report to the host above them in the heirarchy.

Around the Network

32 players in warhawk is the best experience I had online so far, because you'll see a lot of people in the air and the rest on the ground, so if you want to win you must dominate the air then dominate the ground and all that happen lag free even when half the people are using lag switches. 32 players knife fight is even better but it's a lot tiering so I don't play a lot of those. I played online 6 matches off halo 3 online and 3 of them where really laggy so I was disappointed. Imo, 32 players matches in killzone and warhawk is far superior to 16 player in rainbow six vegas or graw2

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

well for the new server architecture there are no details to its specifics but most articles containing previews and what not state it, its the first statement in the details on their wiki :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAG_(video_game)

and in issue i think issue 193 of game informer whichever featured mag, stated that when the ps3 came out sony asked zipper to create a game massive in scale, which is the reason they weren't in charge of socom confrontation,

that might have somethign to do with it.

Xigmund said:
Wait hold on I thought that Frontlines game had like 50+ people?

Not + just 50 players via Xbox live dedicated servers and 16 via p2p.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

Who revived such an old thread?

Basically to wrap it all up:
PS3 uses servers primarily for their online games (no matchmaking system in PSN)
360 uses P2P primarily because it fits the matchmaking system and is better suited for small games
Both have advantages and disadvantages
Dedicated servers for all online games would be ideal, but expensive for lower player count games
There is no hardware limitation involved (both are possible of supporting many players). The 360 characters would look better, the PS3 characters could be slightly more numerous or more animated, but would look worse (R2 and MAG multiplayer graphics heavily degraded).

not only was this thread necro bumped, people are now trolling in it more than before, so it is now locked.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)