By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't the 360 have lots of people in online matches yet the PS3 can????

Squilliam said:
^ Do all those people play in the exact same game? I thought it was like 100 vs 1 with the rest kinda acting like specators.

Yep it's the same exact game. Every round 100 people are picked for the mob, and one person as the one. however everyone else still plays the game answering question to gain points/rank to eventually get picked for the mob/one as well. All 100,000 + are playing the game. One of the helps for the one is trust the crowd (the other 100,00 players)

Around the Network

Wow, I guess MAG is beat 400 times over!

Tease.

Squilliam said:
^ Do all those people play in the exact same game? I thought it was like 100 vs 1 with the rest kinda acting like specators.

Everyone is playing at the same time.  You might not be in the 100, but you still answer the same questions.  In extended play sessions, it shows how many people get the question right and such, which gives you different amounts of points depending on how many people got it wrong.  So, yeah, the infrastructure is handling the requests and responses to 100,000 people at one time.  Nothing revolutionary, but interesting for a game.

Oh come on. Live is much more stable than PSN. Of course it can do like 250 people. Huxley is looking to do 500 people per server. And FF11 ( although that is an RPG ). It's not that 360 can't, it's that many many PC gamers who were playing 60 or 80 people online FPS years ago will tell you less people is better and more balanced.

Have you ever tried to get 30 people to work together in a game of 30v30? It's hard enough getting 12v12 to work together.

I honestly don't wanna play in huge ass battles. I would much rather just play 8v8 max. Anymore than that any it gets to crowded.

Thank you Kowenicki

PS3 will need to outsell 360 by:         

444,931 per month to catch it by Jan 2011. 102,676 per week.
266,958 per month to catch it by Jan 2012. 61,606 per week.
190,685 per month to catch it by Jan 2013. 44,004 per week.
148,310 per month to catch it by Jan 2014. 34,225 per week.

Current rate is:  -18,262 per month    
Avge over last 6 mths          
Negative number means 360 is outselling PS3 by that amount per mth on avge
Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
Well why doesn't MS us dedicated servers?? are P2P cheaper to buy and support?

Do you know how expensive it would be to use dedicated servers for Halo 3? and each of the Cod games. The sheer ammount of players playing Halo 3 at the same time. I have seen more players playing Halo 3 at the same time then Kill Zone 2's copied sold. Over 1 Billion matches have been played and something like 40,000 years of online time. I can't remember right now.

Besides the game runs smooth on peer 2 peer anyway, you wouldn't notice the difference with dedicated servers. They are overated when it comes to 16 players. 

How many people does FFXI have?

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Wake me up when a REAL game (not a casual one like 1vs100) features 256 players on Live.

Right now there's none, so PS3 wins.

If the 360 is capable of running a game on the scale of MAG or even Resistance 2 they need to man up and make that game. The "that's too many people I want to fight a skirmish not a war" excuse is getting dry like a stale cracker.

I am actually starting to think teh cell may in fact be better at rendering more objects on screen then the Xerox or whatever. Look at how GT5 has twice as many cars on the track then Forza 3 for example.

Yeah. You know MS fans are in trouble when they start talking about 1vs100 ;)