By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie, the Million games profit and a unfortunate declaration to NYT

Wow i thought that there were more then 16 million sellers for the wii. Seems like VGC needs to do some adjusting. j/k. Seriously who only quotes U.S. data for how much a game sells?

Get your Portable ID!

End of 2009 sales predictions:

PS3 - 33 Million     360 - 40 Million    Wii - 75 Million

Around the Network
tastyshovelware said:

Give the guy a break. He may of misquoted Reggie or he may have had a tape recorder and Reggie may have misspoke. It's not like the guy is an undercover agent out to take down nintendo. Honestly, it effects nothing. It doesn't effect publishers cause they know what they need to sell to turn a profit and it doesn't effect us as consumers.

I agree.

However keep in mind that , be the fault on the author or be on Reggie, it does however reveal that the writer didn't double checked the fact ( it isn't really hard to know that that quote is laughable, above all if you did a good research ) most likely because the writer intention was to support a cartain  point of view regardless of other evidence thus discarding every logic.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

celine said:
Khuutra said:
Wow, the fallout from this is going to be echoing around the online journal blags for weeks and weeks.

Here's waiting for the correction.

Finally, one clarification on the story we did Monday on this subject. For the story, Nintendo had told me that publishers of Wii games need to sell only one million games to turn a profit. The company wrote me to say that it meant that publishers can make a profit selling fewer than one million copies of a particular game. Nintendo declined to be any more specific about a number.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/video-game-makers-seeing-red/?pagemode=print

*cough* I didn't hear the "don't" because I didn't want to *cough*

I pasted this post and the link to it in LostPlanet22's Wall so he'll have to read it.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

RolStoppable said:
This story seems to make its way all across the internet without anyone doubting its validity. Either those people who copypaste it for their websites are generally stupid or they are biased against Nintendo/Wii and want this story to be true.

The way things are going I expect Pachter to talk about the problem to make profit on Wii games in three weeks, referencing this NYT article.

This would be hilarious if I didn't have a suspicion that you may be right.

Why think critically when you can just reinforce your prejudices?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
Why think critically when you can just reinforce your prejudices?

I think Stephen Colbert calls that "Wikiality".

RolStoppable said:
This story seems to make its way all across the internet without anyone doubting its validity. Either those people who copypaste it for their websites are generally stupid or they are biased against Nintendo/Wii and want this story to be true.

The way things are going I expect Pachter to talk about the problem to make profit on Wii games in three weeks, referencing this NYT article.

It's one of those things that is 'too good to verify' (because it's a stick that can be used to beat someone/thing you don't like)--you'll find this a lot in the political sphere and, unsurprisingly, in page after page of the NYT.

@Helios
I think I already answered about the development costs, but to avoid conducting a parallel subthread that is basically OT I propose to move this to wall messages or to create a separate thread :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

There are three possibilities:

1. He's right.
2. He's wrong.
3. He was misquoted.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Non Sequor said:
There are three possibilities:

1. He's right.
2. He's wrong.
3. He was misquoted.

Because reading through the thread, or just one of the posts a few above yours, is too hard to do.

:P

The issue's been cleared.