By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie, the Million games profit and a unfortunate declaration to NYT

Oh man, how am I ever going to turn a profit on my self developed/distributed wii titles? Guess it's back to the fields for me.

Around the Network

Well, in comparison with a bunch of other sites I am pretty proud of the VGChartz community for seeing through this so quickly.

Proves that sanity has its place in the internet, and it is here ... at least some of the time!

phisheep said:
Well, in comparison with a bunch of other sites I am pretty proud of the VGChartz community for seeing through this so quickly.

Proves that sanity has its place in the internet, and it is here ... at least some of the time!

Wait a minute, are you saying the kids on the neo gaf aren't sane? The kids on "the preeminent video game industry discussion community." Cause I'm pretty sure they are the most calm, educated, and rational people around. And they're never wrong, ever.

That's terrible, Ninjabread Man may never break even!

Gamerace said:
According to Edge Magazine (a VG Industry mag) a 20m game needs to sell 1m units to become profitable.

That's the avg price of an HD game or Really high-end Wii game (Zelda/Mario). So clearly Reggie was misquoted. He was probably talking industry avg not Wii avg but the reporter didn't know any better.

It makes more sense if Reggie's saying, most [HD] console games need to sell 1m to be profittable but we made development costs cheaper on Wii [so you don't need to sell that much]

That sounds reasonnable I think the most commonly quoted number is that publishers get around 25$ per HD game sold so I would say actually around 800k to break even.

The number are probably around 17-18$ per copy sold for Wii games.

If you say a good Wii game costs 10 million to make ( not shovelware but like a real game)( including marketing) that would put the number of units you need to sell a little over 590k.

For a Wii game to need to sell 1 million units to break even the game would need to cost 17-18 million $....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
tastyshovelware said:
phisheep said:

Wait a minute, are you saying the kids on the neo gaf aren't sane? The kids on "the preeminent video game industry discussion community." Cause I'm pretty sure they are the most calm, educated, and rational people around. And they're never wrong, ever.

I am as certain as certain can be that they are not wrong .... they are honourable men, all of them honourable men.

NYT is probably quoting someone they know that knows someone that interviewed Reggie.

WereKitten said:

It is both: the Wii GPU can't output HD because of a strategic decision by Nintendo.

The lie in the declaration lies in saying that the reason to not have an HD capable console was to keep development costs down. That is, they had to make a choice: either improved visuals with higher development costs or current costs with SD-only output.

The emulator proves that current Wii games - though having a lower budget - stil look much better in HD. Thus the previous dicothomy is a lie.

Nintendo's strategic decision was to make higher margins per console by using a cheaper GPU. This worked great for them in the business sense, as they are making heaps of money. Still, Reggie's declaration was the PR spin of a falsehood.

Anyway, this was just to clarify my first post, let's not get sidetracked.

You're missing the point. Yes, everything looks "better" in higher resolutions (well, sharper, though it also makes for a jagged appearence on large monitors without anti-aliasing), but enabling HD development would essentially jack up development costs as developers struggle to implement the feature - by removing HD development, Nintendo very deliberately forced a smaller budget for most games. Again, it doesn't matter what games would look like in HD - what matter is that developers don't spend money trying to take full advantage of it.

Also, I have no doubt Nintendo profited from the lower production costs, but (at best, from your perspective) that only makes Reggie's statement a half-truth, not a falsehood.

Khuutra said:
Wow, the fallout from this is going to be echoing around the online journal blags for weeks and weeks.

Here's waiting for the correction.

Too bad the correction will not see anywhere near the same amount of coverage.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

@Helios

Actually the higher the resolution the less jagged is the result. You're thinking about upscaling a low resolution image, I'm talking about rendering in HD. It also has the nice sideeffect of providing MSAA for SD, so even at 480p the image would be better.

As for development costs, I can't see your point. If a developer wants to spend 40M dollars on an HD Wii game and then fails to do profit, that's their bad business choice. Same as if today they spent 40M dollars in developing an incredibly niche RPG on 8 DVDs, and then it sells poorly. How would that influence the developers who decide to keep spending 10M and make money? The Wii proved that it can sell enough of those visually simpler games to its owners.

The only reason to cut HD would be if taking advantage of it necessarily meant higher costs. The emulator rendering disproves that: there would be some free added value for software developers if Nintendo made a different choice.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman