By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie, the Million games profit and a unfortunate declaration to NYT

Why Unfortunate??

Reggie Fils-Aime, chief marketing officer for Nintendo of America, said publishers of games for its Wii console needed to sell one million units of a game to turn a profit. He said that was a lower threshold than for the other consoles. Only 16 out of 486 games for Nintendo Wii game machines have sold more than one million units as of March 1, according to NPD, which tracks the sales of consumer products. (Nine of the best sellers are made by Nintendo.)

Mr. Fils-Aime said Nintendo recognized the economics were changing when it developed the Wii. He said the company deliberately did not add high-definition capability to the Wii so games would be cheaper to make.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/technology/30game.html?_r=1&hpw

Well first of all some games at 360 made a profit at 600k. Seems like Reggie (or the NYT) forget to put the budget for the game as a indicator for that number, yes some high budget AAA titles like Mario Galaxy need that million but honestly I can't believe that a crappy, cheap game like Carnival Games needed that number.

Around the Network

Seems also that somebody forgot America isn't the whole world!

Yeah, since when is America the entire world?

And that's quite a blanket statement for Reggie to make (about the 1m break even point for all games)... I don't understand what just happened!

wfz said:
Yeah, since when is America the entire world?

And that's quite a blanket statement for Reggie to make (about the 1m break even point for all games)... I don't understand what just happened!

Yes I think they're going to make a correction for that note in the future, things like that make Investors angry.

This fails, epically. I laugh in their faces if they think that only 16 out of the nearly 500 Wii games have turned a profit.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Maybe he meant $1m in revenue...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I'm staring, dumbfounded, because the gears in my brain seem to be grinding together.

I hope shams is right, because Holy Hell.

I doubt most 360/PS3 games need to sell a million units to profit, which means its very unlikely that Wii games need to sell a million units to profit.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

The more I read this, the odder it seems:

- How long is it since Reggie was "chief marketing officer"?

- Is this talking about publishers or developers or both?

- I suspect the words 'fewer than' have been missed out before 'one million'.

Shoddy research.

phisheep said:
Seems also that somebody forgot America isn't the whole world!

I really thought it was.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^