By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie, the Million games profit and a unfortunate declaration to NYT

If we take for good some numbers we saw around, the declaration might very well be meant for a "big" game costing 10-15M. The NYT journalist might have missed this specification.

It also makes sense in the light of the next sentence about developing costs:
"He said the company deliberately did not add high-definition capability to the Wii so games would be cheaper to make."

He was probably again speaking about big budget projects, as those are the examples usually brought to attention to show the explosion of costs on PS3/360/PC.

Now, the fact that the statement I quoted is pure PR spin of a lie - as proved by the 720p emulators rendering of existing Wii games - is an entirely different issue :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
@TWRoO: I prefer this one:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=12754

Wow.

NJ5 said:
@TWRoO: I prefer this one:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=12754

Nice.
And the neat thing is, that's only in American terms... although the American is generally used here now, in old UK terms 1 billion meant 1 million million rather than 1 thousand million, wheras 1 trillion means. 1 million million million. Which is "exa" or 1 X 10^18

So in American/British

1,000,000 (Mega)  =  1 million  =  1,000,000 (Mega)

1,000,000,000 (Giga)  =  1 billion  =  1,000,000,000,000 (Tera)

1,000,000,000,000 (Tera) = 1 trillion = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (Exa)

WereKitten said:
Now, the fact that the statement I quoted is pure PR spin of a lie - as proved by the 720p emulators rendering of existing Wii games - is an entirely different issue :)

...because those upscaled Wii games look just as good as any 360 game, right?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
WereKitten said:

...because those upscaled Wii games look just as good as any 360 game, right?

No. They are not upscaled, and they don't look as good as any 360 game.

But given a GPU that rendered them natively in 720p - that is what the emulator does - they would look much better, even at current Wii development costs.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
Obviously the reporter messed up here, but it occurs to me the funniest mess up would be if Reggie literally said "Games don't have to sell one million to make a profit on Wii. They have to sell far less than games on our competitor's systems." And the reporter just missed ONE word.

I think Erik has hit it on the head. This is the sort of thing that Reggie would say, and most probably what he did say.

After 1000's of comments like 'Wii games don't need to sell much to make a profit' the man from Nintendo say this. Must be a slap in the face for some.

Lostplanet22 said:
After 1000's of comments like 'Wii games don't need to sell much to make a profit' the man from Nintendo say this. Must be a slap in the face for some.

Yes let's turn off our brains and make conclusions based on this quote being accurate...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Somebody screwed up, certainly. Why else would we be seeing a sequel to No More Heroes in its 400k-selling glory?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

NJ5 said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Yes let's turn off our brains and make conclusions based on this quote being accurate...

I love the spin <3. It is only sad that you had to be so mean with saying I turned my brains off, I hope you can be more mature nex time :).

Anyway be assured I don't believe Reggie aswell especially after this:

Just go on with your happy crusade of saying PS3/X360 games need to sell a lot of copies to make a profit, if being an annoyance for the majority of the members on this site makes you feel good I am fine with it :).