By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie, the Million games profit and a unfortunate declaration to NYT

Once again Okami goes into the "failure" column! When will Ammy's rollercoaster of fate come to an end? Oh noes!

And going by development cost info given by the devs, if Wii games must sell 1 million games to turn a profit, what does that mean for PS360 games? Oh noes!

(Yes, this is in fact a joke post. No, I really doubt that these statements, both mine and the article's, hold any water. Please continue. Oh yays! )

Around the Network
phisheep said:
The more I read this, the odder it seems:

- How long is it since Reggie was "chief marketing officer"?

- Is this talking about publishers or developers or both?

- I suspect the words 'fewer than' have been missed out before 'one million'.

Shoddy research.

What? in the NY Times? The so-called 'paper of record'?! The devil you say!

(Yes, that is all sarcasm--the Times isn't half--nor perhaps even a quarter--the paper it once was.)

If a game would need to sell at least a million to turn aprofit, only Nintendo would still make games...

It depends whether the game gets sold @ $20 or $50. Often retailers get regular price drops @ certain timeframes/levels of sales where the publishers have to give back money they have recieved on games to move stock at the retail level.

Tease.

Obviously the reporter messed up here, but it occurs to me the funniest mess up would be if Reggie literally said "Games don't have to sell one million to make a profit on Wii. They have to sell far less than games on our competitor's systems." And the reporter just missed ONE word.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

i'm kinda thinking reggie meant $1 million in revenue as well.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

He wouldn't say that in his right mind. So either the reporter screwed up or he had a severe brain fart.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

vonboy said:
i'm kinda thinking reggie meant $1 million in revenue as well.

It doesn't make much sense that way either, because $1million in revenue could be as low as 20,000 sales. (and is unlikely to be much higher than 40,000 sales)

Someone messed up here that's for sure.

Well this is off-topic... but I  found this on the NYT website.

@TWRoO: I prefer this one:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=12754

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957