By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGS With "Save The World" Plots

Xeta said:
noname2200 said:
Xeta said:

EDIT: Is there a game where the main character starts out trying to save the world, but ends up deciding not to? I don't mean not being able to and trying to the very end, but deciding not to even though it is possible when the decision is made.

KOTOR, Dark Side ending.

Good choice...I'm trying to be reasonable here because if I can go all out on plots then you should be allowed to use literature which is where the real story experimentation goes on. I'll mostly try to avoid downer endings because there's way too many possibilities there.

How about a story about keeping someone alive? It can't be where the person is crucial to keeping the world alive, or anything else where it's just an extention of saving the world, or some great higher system that can be equated with "world" (like civilized life).

Shadow of the Colossus. Not an RPG though....

Around the Network
Xeta said:
noname2200 said:
Xeta said:

EDIT: Is there a game where the main character starts out trying to save the world, but ends up deciding not to? I don't mean not being able to and trying to the very end, but deciding not to even though it is possible when the decision is made.

KOTOR, Dark Side ending.

Good choice...I'm trying to be reasonable here because if I can go all out on plots then you should be allowed to use literature which is where the real story experimentation goes on. I'll mostly try to avoid downer endings because there's way too many possibilities there.

How about a story about keeping someone alive? It can't be where the person is crucial to keeping the world alive, or anything else where it's just an extention of saving the world, or some great higher system that can be equated with "world" (like civilized life).

The original Crystal Chronicles? You go out to get crystal power or whatever to keep the poison mists away to keep your small town alive.

Though I never finished it, maybe the plot thickens.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Xeta said:

Rune Factory Frontier: the entire plot revolves around keeping the whale island spirit alive and well.

blaydcor said:

The original Crystal Chronicles? You go out to get crystal power or whatever to keep the poison mists away to keep your small town alive.

Though I never finished it, maybe the plot thickens.

It does about halfway through, and becomes a quest to get rid of the mist once and for all (successfully, of course).

noname2200 said:
Xeta said:

Rune Factory Frontier: the entire plot revolves around keeping the whale island spirit alive and well.

But you do that because if you don't he'll come smashing into the town, which could be seen as your whole world in that game.

Khuutra said:
Xeta said:
noname2200 said:
Xeta said:

KOTOR, Dark Side ending.

That's fine, since American McGee's Alice isn't either. Now that I think of it, I don't know why I typed that out since just before typing it I was thinking about SotC. Maybe I'm just weird.

Let me think now...how about...a game where you're stopping someone or something who's screwing with your life. The important thing, again, is that whatever is messing with your life doesn't have some kind of worldly implication that creates a moral obligation, so that it's mostly or entirely personal.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
noname2200 said:
Xeta said:

But you do that because if you don't he'll come smashing into the town, which could be seen as your whole world in that game.

Meh, doesn't really count: there are a whopping nine villagers there when you arrive, and they could all pick up and leave at any time (it's not like anyone was actually born there, and it'd only crush this one small valley).

Xeta said:
Khuutra said:

That's fine, since American McGee's Alice isn't either. Now that I think of it, I don't know why I typed that out since just before typing it I was thinking about SotC. Maybe I'm just weird.

Let me think now...how about...a game where you're stopping someone or something who's screwing with your life. The important thing, again, is that whatever is messing with your life doesn't have some kind of worldly implication that creates a moral obligation, so that it's mostly or entirely personal.

F-Zero.

No, really. Captain Falcon comes from the school of hard knocks.

Xeta said:
Khuutra said:
Xeta said:
noname2200 said:
Xeta said:

KOTOR, Dark Side ending.

RPG only? Inindo: Way of the Ninja.

Khuutra said:

F-Zero.

No, really. Captain Falcon comes from the school of hard knocks.

Aw, c'mon, let's at least try to stick with RPGs first, since I'm positive they've covered EVERY single possibility at one point or another.

Xeta said:
Khuutra said:
Xeta said:
noname2200 said:
Xeta said:

KOTOR, Dark Side ending.

So long as we're going outside RPG's, how about GTA: San Andreas?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

noname2200 said:
Torillian said:
noname2200 said:
Xeta said:

Meh, doesn't really count: there are a whopping nine villagers there when you arrive, and they could all pick up and leave at any time (it's not like anyone was actually born there, and it'd only crush this one small valley).

but you never meet or contact anyone outside of this small village.  For that game the village is basically your entire world.