By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stranglehold the first major bomb?

GranTurismo said:
I thought a developer said that they need to sell 500k on 20mil projects, 500k is not very much over the life of a game, so that means that Killzone2 only needs to sell 1mil to make money which seems very easy. Games like RFoM have sold 2mil WW, and Motorstorm has sold over 1mil.
Namco said 500k on standard projects, not the mega budget monsters.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

First review I've seen is from TeamXbox...

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1375/Stranglehold/p1/

Rated it 7.7... Knocked Longevity and Innovation... And for a game that uses the Unreal Engine they even knocked the graphics.

It should have got an 8.5 if it was going to be a hit.

I didn't think it would do that well to begin with. Not sure why Midway would spend so much money on game they haven't advertised much if at all. Guess they figured the name it itsel would be enough to sell to a wide audience but doubt that is going to work. The only way this game would have sold well is if it came out during the slow period a few months ago but now there is alot of competition as from this week forward we will see 2+ games being released with 1 or more big hitters each month it jsut doesn't stand a chance especially with the so-so reviews. I am personally getting it through gamefly this week only to beat it a couple of days and have it shipped back in time to get eternal sonata. Midway better hope Unreal 3 pulls a gears of war and sells else we will see them filing for bankruptsy.

Quite note on Unreal engine. I could have sworn Mark Rein said that developers using the Unreal engine would save tons of money and have shorter development time. I think he used gears as an example of being developed for 1-2 years on a small staff with a 10 million dollar bugdet. How the hell does Midway spend 3x that much with numerous delays and about the same lenght of gears? If midway wasn't publising unreal 3 I bet they would be in there suing with silicon knights.

I have an odd feeling StrangleHold will sell better on the PS3 when it's released.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

shams said:
Been thinking for a while now, that the next major *crash* in the industry is due this Xmas.

Far too many expensive (to develop) games released at once, not enough hardware already in homes, too much competition.

You will see a lot of games that need 750k-1m units to break even - only selling 350k-500k units.

Also prediction is you'll see quite a few dev studios fold around 1st-2nd qrt next year, and end up being bought out by a larger publisher/developer. Apparently is a common business practice in the industry - wait till a developer is almost out of money, THEN buy them.

Couldn't agree more, shams. Gaming sites have been talking a lot about how there are so many exceptional, high-budget titles being released this year. I don't know if all of the games will be worth playing, but with these huge development budgets, there's just no way that all of these games can turn a profit. Especially so if you factor in the relatively slow adoption rate of the "HD" consoles thus far. Most publishers probably thought that the PS3 would have 10 million sales by Christmas, and the 360 in the range of 15 million. Instead, the two platforms combined are barely over half that number. If the Wii didn't exist, I think we might be seeing a huge market crash for the industry this year. Instead, we'll just be seeing a sea of red ink from those companies that read the market incorrectly. Which is a lot of them, sadly.

Stranglehold? I've never even HEARD of this game! From the short descriptions posted here, it looks... generic, cliched, and so on. Does the world need yet another bloody shooter featuring "bullet time"? Call me crazy, but I'm with Bodhesatva on this. The game will never do anywhere near enough sales to meet a $30 million (!) budget.

Midway - what were you THINKING?!

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network
elnino334 said:
I didn't think it would do that well to begin with. Not sure why Midway would spend so much money on game they haven't advertised much if at all. Guess they figured the name it itsel would be enough to sell to a wide audience but doubt that is going to work. The only way this game would have sold well is if it came out during the slow period a few months ago but now there is alot of competition as from this week forward we will see 2+ games being released with 1 or more big hitters each month it jsut doesn't stand a chance especially with the so-so reviews. I am personally getting it through gamefly this week only to beat it a couple of days and have it shipped back in time to get eternal sonata. Midway better hope Unreal 3 pulls a gears of war and sells else we will see them filing for bankruptsy.

Quite note on Unreal engine. I could have sworn Mark Rein said that developers using the Unreal engine would save tons of money and have shorter development time. I think he used gears as an example of being developed for 1-2 years on a small staff with a 10 million dollar bugdet. How the hell does Midway spend 3x that much with numerous delays and about the same lenght of gears? If midway wasn't publising unreal 3 I bet they would be in there suing with silicon knights.

Well you are overlooking somethings about Stranglehold. Epic didn't have to budget in John Woo or Chow Yun Fat for Gears, both of which certainly added a substantial amount to the budget. Since the game is the sequel to Hard Boiled, I am sure that also added to the cost as well. I wouldn't be surprised if half of Stranglehold's budget was for costs not related to the game's actual development.

Bodhesatva said:

I just mean in terms of production costs: clearly both are simple games (simple isn't necessarily bad, SSD looks great) that didn't take 100 programmers 2 years to make. 

Artists are a lot more expensive than programers. A lot of programing is reusable (and resellable, especially for a company like Midway), art... not nearly as much.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

There won't be a crash mainly because first party and second party software has sold sell especially for MS and Nintendo. Then you have some 3rd party that have had success and might not have had the huge budgets. Also you have to look at it worldwide in terms of making a profit and most high profile 360 games have made the 500k if you combine world sales. I don't think is fair to see a number of games bomb or flop as that is nothing new. Based on the numbers success far outweights failure in the gaming industry. The main company's that are hurting are the ones that only went with the PS3 and as mentioned it has a smaller installed based which means less sales or profits. Again doubt there would be a crash and some games bombing is normal.

Darc Requiem said:
elnino334 said:

Well you are overlooking somethings about Stranglehold. Epic didn't have to budget in John Woo or Chow Yun Fat for Gears, both of which certainly added a substantial amount to the budget. Since the game is the sequel to Hard Boiled, I am sure that also added to the cost as well. I wouldn't be surprised if half of Stranglehold's budget was for costs not related to the game's actual development.

I figured as much which is why I made the reference about they hoping to sell based on the name which I just don't think there are enough people who know about John Woo or Chow Yun Fat or to be more blunt would care about buying a game just based on that.  If it had gotten great reviews then you would buy it based on being a really good game which happens to be based on a movie with a real actor as nice bonus but not base your purchase just on that at least for most poeple.  It is just too big of a risk I think and money not well spent if you are correct.

5 Mill for John Woo and 5 Mill for Chow Yun Fat. Balance 15 Mill for the game. :-p

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>