By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Slashing PS3 dev kits price by OVER 80% (Evidence of Price cut imminent?)

darthdevidem01 said:

The plot thickens like cheese sauce!

Target Debunks PS3 Price Drop @ GDC Rumor?!

LOL, Darth is hilarious, drawing virews to his thread thread with MS tactics LOL

Around the Network
Xxain said:
^ get out (jk)

Can you name any other reasons for the drastic cut in price?  I mean we can all agree that Xbox 360 SKU prices were dropped because of demand so why not in this case?  If they're willing to charge third-parties for downloads (since they obviously seem to feel they can get away with it) why wouldn't they be willing to make money off of them with the dev kits as well?

@Xxain

lol no

just giving a link to the article which is in my thread cus I lost the link tot he actual article

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Stealing my VG$? Grrrr....

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

this is good. More PSN titles, cheaper development.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:
Baggins said:
blazinhead89 said:
http://dlb-network.com/2009/03/gdc-sony-cutting-price-of-ps3-dev-kits/

That's great news. Obviously this means they have cut Production costs down MASSIVELY. What you guys think?

How are the 2 even related?

Showing yourself up again eh blazinnhead89?

Devkits aren't exactly sold in mass quantities or for a profit in terms of hardware cost. I fail to see the connection.

Then why would they suddenly cut the price by over 80% ? I put A "?" at the end because i'm not Saying. "ZOMG Price cut confirmed".

Ummm because they wanna entice developers to develop for the PS3. How many devkits do you think have been sold? It costs Sony such a small amount of money to supply the number it does that they might as well give them away. It wouldn't hurt their bottom line. Taking this into account it means that your link between a the 80% decrease in devkit cost and PS3 standard edition price is non existent.

If Sony were producing hundreds of thousands of devkits (well, nearer a million) then you're argument might hold somd weight, even then it would be seriously pushing it to make a link. In the real world though Sony can't have sold much more than 5000 devkits tops...

5000 : 21 million

...you do the math ;)

I suspect the bulk of the devkit cost is in licensing fees and related costs, not actual hardware cost anyway. Further dousing your arugment.

(just so you know I'm not flaming\having a go, but just picking apart what you posted, which I hope is cool?) If I've missed something please add to it because dunno where you got your idea from.

^ That is why my title was better.

I don't get picked apart.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

If the cost of the system decreases by 80%, I am sure a huge price cut is in talks. That would really give them a reason to. A price cut would make it easier for the ps3 to be profitable.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Legend11 said:
Xxain said:
^ get out (jk)

Can you name any other reasons for the drastic cut in price?  I mean we can all agree that Xbox 360 SKU prices were dropped because of demand so why not in this case?  If they're willing to charge third-parties for downloads (since they obviously seem to feel they can get away with it) why wouldn't they be willing to make money off of them with the dev kits as well?

jk=joke for future notice, you could actually be right

Xxain said:
Legend11 said:
Xxain said:
^ get out (jk)

jk=joke for future notice, you could actually be right

I thought jk = Just Kidding.

I learn something new every day.

Currently playing: