By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Slashing PS3 dev kits price by OVER 80% (Evidence of Price cut imminent?)

Snake612 said:
If the cost of the system decreases by 80%, I am sure a huge price cut is in talks. That would really give them a reason to. A price cut would make it easier for the ps3 to be profitable.

Wow... way to miss the point.

Around the Network
Baggins said:
blazinhead89 said:
Baggins said:
blazinhead89 said:
http://dlb-network.com/2009/03/gdc-sony-cutting-price-of-ps3-dev-kits/

That's great news. Obviously this means they have cut Production costs down MASSIVELY. What you guys think?

How are the 2 even related?

Showing yourself up again eh blazinnhead89?

Devkits aren't exactly sold in mass quantities or for a profit in terms of hardware cost. I fail to see the connection.

Then why would they suddenly cut the price by over 80% ? I put A "?" at the end because i'm not Saying. "ZOMG Price cut confirmed".

Ummm because they wanna entice developers to develop for the PS3. How many devkits do you think have been sold? It costs Sony such a small amount of money to supply the number it does that they might as well give them away. It wouldn't hurt their bottom line. Taking this into account it means that your link between a the 80% decrease in devkit cost and PS3 standard edition price is non existent.

If Sony were producing hundreds of thousands of devkits (well, nearer a million) then you're argument might hold somd weight, even then it would be seriously pushing it to make a link. In the real world though Sony can't have sold much more than 5000 devkits tops...

5000 : 21 million

...you do the math ;)

I suspect the bulk of the devkit cost is in licensing fees and related costs, not actual hardware cost anyway. Further dousing your arugment.

(just so you know I'm not flaminghaving a go, but just picking apart what you posted, which I hope is cool?) If I've missed something please add to it because dunno where you got your idea from.

Yes you make some good points, But I wasn't saying Yes PS3 will get a price cut. The reasoning behind Adding "Evidence of Price cut Imminent? " was both an acknowledgement of the recent Price cut rumours and to entice people such as yourself into the thread ( Tough luck Euphoria) . Also we can ask you. Are you picking it appart because you think there won't be a price cut, or you Don't want a price cut?

blazinhead89 said:

Yes you make some good points, But I wasn't saying Yes PS3 will get a price cut. The reasoning behind Adding "Evidence of Price cut Imminent? " was both an acknowledgement of the recent Price cut rumours and to entice people such as yourself into the thread ;-P ( Tough luck Euphoria) . Also we can ask you. Are you picking it appart because you think there won't be a price cut, or you Don't want a price cut?

No tough luck.

By default your thread should be closed but I don't really care, I am glad to at least see this news still on the front page. I also just post the articles main title and not add anything else outside of what the article represents. That way I don't get attacked. It tends to keep the threads more civil and focus on the topic at hand.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Or it's just a sign that they're afraid of losing smaller devs due to their dev kits being expensive.

I mean Dev kits are WAY more expensive then PS3's production costs should have little to do with it.

The Wii's dev kit being under 2K was seen as extremly shocking.

Infact the PS3 Dev kit costs like 10K.

80% cut puts it at 2K same price as the wii dev kit.

It used to cost 20K!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/19/sony-slashes-ps3-dev-kit-cost-by-half/

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:
@drkohler, You make a good point, but given Sony's Financial situation, I don't think they would like that much of loss, so im assuming that they can afford it as they have brought the production cost down

There is no correlation whatsoever between the price of PS3 development kits and the price of PS3s. The former has probably been produced in quantities < 10000 up to now as a rough guess, the latter is the consumer console manufactured in millions. (I don't even know what a PS3 development kit includes, it could be the compiler/linker/runtime libraries/docs plus a standard PS3 with special ROM to a PS3 equipped with more RAM/ROM). I am fairly sure that development kits at $2000 are not a loss maker for Sony, and even if they were, at those few quantities produced and sold that would not matter at all financially.

Kasz216 said:

It used to cost 20K!

Wasn't that just after the Price cut to 399$? I know Dev Kit and actual PS3 are different but, bringing one down, should bring the other down?

blazinhead89 said:
Kasz216 said:

It used to cost 20K!

Wasn't that just after the Price cut to 399$? I know Dev Kit and actual PS3 are different but, bringing one down, should bring the other down?

Why?  They've got nothing to do with each other.  The PS3 dev kit being cut 8,000 dollars has nothing to do with manufacturing costs.

amazing how things can change this gen, in December everyone was saying ps3 was doomed (even me >.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

I'm gonna call it desperation on Sony's part. Much like the sony fanboys would call it desperation if it was announced MS was slashing the price of their dev kit 80%.

Yet I can justify my argument, 80% of a HUGE drop.