By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Slashing PS3 dev kits price by OVER 80% (Evidence of Price cut imminent?)

badgenome said:
Evidence that Sony intends to bury us under a mountain of even more games, maybe.

Let us all hope!  

Around the Network
Baggins said:
blazinhead89 said:
http://dlb-network.com/2009/03/gdc-sony-cutting-price-of-ps3-dev-kits/

That's great news. Obviously this means they have cut Production costs down MASSIVELY. What you guys think?

How are the 2 even related?

Showing yourself up again eh blazinnhead89?

Devkits aren't exactly sold in mass quantities or for a profit in terms of hardware cost. I fail to see the connection.

Then why would they suddenly cut the price by over 80% ? I put A "?" at the end because i'm not Saying. "ZOMG Price cut confirmed".

Baggins said:
blazinhead89 said:

That's great news. Obviously this means they have cut Production costs down MASSIVELY. What you guys think?

Devkits aren't exactly sold in mass quantities or for a profit in terms of hardware cost. I fail to see the connection.

umless im mistaken( and I could be), this doesnt makes, your basically sayin SONY could give away for free if they wanted.

blazinhead89 said:
Baggins said:
blazinhead89 said:

Then why would they suddenly cut the price by over 80% ? I put A "?" at the end because i'm not Saying. "ZOMG Price cut confirmed".

Because, obviously, all the big companies already have enough development kits, so this might be an attempt to attract small companies on board (the "a-few-guys-in-a-garage" people who would not be able to fork up 40-80k upfront)...

@drkohler, You make a good point, but given Sony's Financial situation, I don't think they would like that much of loss, so im assuming that they can afford it as they have brought the production cost down

Around the Network

Thank god about the dev kits!

We testers never even get to see them at my company because of the crazy cost, do all of our testing on a normal sku.

Which, might I add is a pain in the butt to take screen shoots off of.

Wii and 360 dev kits were bacsi thats all we had (there were a few normail sku's to make shure that there was no "hidden Bugs")

on certain projects,to a point where the Ps3 was a unpopular platform to test on...

so Good for Sony, now many some of there games will be les buggy...or at least cost less to test...

And as for a "Price drop soon" I very much doubt it, Sony posted Major losses last year, they will be wanting to make up for that this year so IF they are making any profit off the console, it should stay in their coffers...or pay off some loans.

SpartanFX said:
this just makes it harder for X360 to get arcade games exclusively.

Maybe.  However, for Sony, you can view it as a way for them to get content to charge developers over for when people download it.

Maybe it's a sign that they're finding it harder to get developers on board.

^ get out (jk)

The plot thickens like cheese sauce!

Target Debunks PS3 Price Drop @ GDC Rumor?!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey