By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Why DVD's better than Blu-Ray....

steven787 said:
The argument is flawed in so many ways.

Bluray doesn't have to "beat" DVD. It only has to be profitable and it is.

Will it last? Probably, Blurays aren't expensive to transport and store. Will it become the standard? No, it will always be a semi-luxury item because DVD is good enough for most people and viable HD downloads for the masses are just around the corner.

Blu-ray is the successor of DVD.  This is what the HD format war was about.  Your statement about DVD being "good enough" for most people was the same for VHS (as seen is the links I posted a few pages ago to old VHS vs DVD sites).

Around the Network

What would be a "better" manner to ask you to back up your claim? It's not asking you to do research for me, it's asking you to substantiate the claim that DVD sales were lower in 2008 than in 2007.

404 error on your "answer".

There, managed to get to it.

Thank you, very informative.

Khuutra said:
What would be a "better" manner to ask you to back up your claim? It's not asking you to do research for me, it's asking you to substantiate the claim that DVD sales were lower in 2008 than in 2007.

404 error on your "answer".

I just, basically, said that DVD sales were slipping.  You came up with the complete 2008 vs. 2007 bit.  That's why.  It just came across as being testy.  If you meant no harm by it, then bygones.

Providing a specific timeframe relevant to your statement is not unreasonable.

Of course I meant nothing by it.

Around the Network
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
steven787 said:
The argument is flawed in so many ways.

Bluray doesn't have to "beat" DVD. It only has to be profitable and it is.

Will it last? Probably, Blurays aren't expensive to transport and store. Will it become the standard? No, it will always be a semi-luxury item because DVD is good enough for most people and viable HD downloads for the masses are just around the corner.

Blu-ray is the successor of DVD.  This is what the HD format war was about.  Your statement about DVD being "good enough" for most people was the same for VHS (as seen is the links I posted a few pages ago to old VHS vs DVD sites).

The term "good enough" may be the same, but the reasoning behind the statement is different.

The reason why DVD "beat" VHS was for practical reasons - size, production cost, tranportation, storage, longevity, navigation.

Blu-Ray (which I love) has no PRACTICAL advantages over DVD.  It has some cool features and a better image but it will cost more than DVD to produce for many more years, it will always be the same size, it will always cost the same amount to tranport, it will always be about as durable*, and it will always have similar navigation.

By the time the production costs go down enough to compete on a true world wide mass market, there will be many forms of competition through digital distribution.

I'm not saying that they're a failure, I'm saying that they're not going to "beat" DVD.    It's gonna be around awhile and it's gonna be profitable.

Besides all that, I never said it wasn't the successor to DVD... that term is marketing hype that the companies that produce them have given as a label.  It is because the manufacturers say it is, I can't argue with a abstract statement like that.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

mmnin said:

If I bought a Bluray player it would definitely be a PS3, but I'm hoping for digital downloads to make life easier. I don't want to keep switching disks out the rest of my life when I know technology can save me the time.

Problem with digital download is how do you store the movies ?

Buy a huge RAID system ? ( Hard Drives do fail, they do not have a 10 year life usually).

Buy your digital movies from a site that lets you redownload them whenever you want ? But what happens then if the company you bought them from goes bankrupt ? (if you look at the economy these days anything can happen...).Do you loose all your movies ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Blu Ray is a victim of exceptionally poor timing and the worldwide recession will probably mean it will never reach its true potential what ever that may have been.

Also the Blu Ray advocates do appear to be the most arrogant and odious of people on this site.

Guys just accept some people cannot see the difference between Blu Ray and DVD.
Accept some, perhaps even most people are happy with DVD and dont want a replacement.

Also stop bad mouthing upscaling of DVD's. They do look incredible.

Finally my personal opinion

Unless you have a Screen capable of 1080p with a size over 37 inches I wouldnt even bother with Blu Ray. The expense will never justify the marginal gains.

.....my optometrist said that my eye sight are getting pretty bad due to gaming mostly but I can still see the difference between bluray and DVD quality......

There is a huge difference btw DVD's war over VHS and what Blu-ray is trying to do. Anyone who thinks they're the same needs a history lesson.

DVDs brought extra features, enhanced video/sound (even through RCA jacks), and affordability to home movies, something the average consumer never had before. Blu-ray is basically laserdisc vs. VHS -- expensive and the average person can't even appreciate the difference.

Wal-Mart is the biggest retailer in the world. Think of all the people who see LCD TVs there, running SD content and/or improperly stretched video, and think "wow, this is great!" BR will never be mass market when it requires an HDTV and a new sound system to be appreciated (DVD didn't to the average person).