By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Why DVD's better than Blu-Ray....

WereKitten said:

@Cheebee

"And when you walk into an electronics store and see a Bluray movie for 30 bucks, and the same movie on DVD for 5, the vast majority of mankind will buy the DVD, simple as that."

That's a harsh difference indeed... but where did you see that exactly?

In Italy prices go like this (example is Iron Man when it came out in fall ):
DVD : €22
2 DVD edition with extras: €28
BluRay edition, same content of the 2 DVD one plus a few smaller extras: €32

Today you find them discounted at 10€,13€,19€ respectively. And I guess this country is actually bad when it comes to movie prices.
Sure, DVD is cheaper. But for everyone going for the extras, the BR edition is only a few bucks more. It seems totally worth to me.

Its not fair to compare discounted BluRays to standard price DVD's.

In my local UK supermarket

Dark Knight DVD - 6.99

Dark Knight Blu Ray - 17.99

Thats a 250 percent price difference.

Fact is at the moment you pay a premium for Blu Ray.  It wont always be the case but it is right now

Around the Network
Cypher1980 said:
WereKitten said:

@Cheebee

"And when you walk into an electronics store and see a Bluray movie for 30 bucks, and the same movie on DVD for 5, the vast majority of mankind will buy the DVD, simple as that."

Today you find them discounted at 10€,13€,19€ respectively. And I guess this country is actually bad when it comes to movie prices.
Sure, DVD is cheaper. But for everyone going for the extras, the BR edition is only a few bucks more. It seems totally worth to me.

Dark Knight DVD - 6.99

Fact is at the moment you pay a premium for Blu Ray.  It wont always be the case but it is right now

Exactly. My 5.00 DVD-30.00 Bluray was one of the more extreme examples I came across, that was Pirates of the Caribbean 3 at one of my local electronics stores (in Holland). But still, stuff on Bluray is just way more expensive, no matter how you spin it, and most of the time, people go for cheap.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Rpruett said:
Wiintendo said:
I forgot to mention the biggest point in my last post.

Advertising will bring about free gaming, just like free t.v.

the SuperBowl is free to watch as long as you have a t.v., as are most regular season games on free t.v., some on pay t.v. So, why not Madden with free servers.

that synergy is it, that's the key to a free gaming future. OnLive will make hardware irrelevant.

Except OnLive won't be free and it again relies on Internet service that isn't even close to being implemented on a widespread basis.

It's not free, but it's a type of what is to come into being, dispersed more widespread.

People dig free stuff.

Wiintendo said:
Rpruett said:
Wiintendo said:
I forgot to mention the biggest point in my last post.

Advertising will bring about free gaming, just like free t.v.

the SuperBowl is free to watch as long as you have a t.v., as are most regular season games on free t.v., some on pay t.v. So, why not Madden with free servers.

that synergy is it, that's the key to a free gaming future. OnLive will make hardware irrelevant.

Except OnLive won't be free and it again relies on Internet service that isn't even close to being implemented on a widespread basis.

It's not free, but it's a type of what is to come into being, dispersed more widespread.

People dig free stuff.

I agree,  but OnLive is so far from transpiring on a widespread basis that it's not even funny.

time will tell.

I signed up for the beta.

Around the Network
Cypher1980 said:
WereKitten said:

@Cheebee

Dark Knight DVD - 6.99

Technically, not enitreyl correct... 17.99-6.99/6.99=11.00/6.99= 157% is the price difference :)

But nitpicking apart, I was not comparing discounted BR to full price DVD. Both at full price and discounted you still pay a premium for BR, but it's still at the same price range where DVD was, say, 3 years ago. And people bought DVD like crazy 3 years ago. The premium over DVDs is again of the same order as the difference between normal and extended edition, and that was a price premium that people seemed rady to fork.

Once they are cheap enough the percentage difference won't count at all: just to exasperate it, if DVD were 1$ and BR were 2.5$  do you think people would care about the 157% more?

Right now they can be percieved as "slightly expensive", but basically in the same price range of DVD. Give them a year and they'll cheapen enough to break down a few further psychological barriers.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman