By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Why DVD's better than Blu-Ray....

oli2 said:
Well said Khuutra. +1 to you.

For those that don't get it, i shall try too. Electronic devices are bought by Humans making trade-offs between price and value. Not by robots.

Why would you buy something you have zero interest in ? Or something that you value "less" than another device ?

If price is king, why is the Wii selling more than the Xbox360 ? Why is the i-pod decimating its competitors ? ... the samples are infinite.

Personnal evidence : around me there are many people that have chosen their "next-gen" video format. It is not BR ...

Well the Wii was the cheapest console on the market initially....You can't compare momentum of something once it's already started. 

Price is king.  It's not the only factor in decision making, but it's the largest and most prominent.  It's why you get a Chevy Cavalier instead of a BMW if you are low on money. 

And what have people around you chose for their next gen format?  Please tell.

Around the Network
Cypher1980 said:
Khuutra said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

@Khuutra

Your response is EXTREMELY long and doesn't reflect history.  Continue to hold on to the wrong theory.  Watch history fulfill itself, again due to the reasons I mentioned.  You forget "average Joe" is the epitome of simplistic rationales when it somes to tech shopping.  I've lived through those time periods and watched them unfold too many times.

You are free to flee the conversation, but until you get some kind of grasp on what drives buying trends your claim of "history, history" means absolutely nothing, because you don't know why history went the way it did.

Sorry Khuutra you are totally wrong.

Price is obviously one of many deciding factors but in a recession it is the only factor ....

If you are as clued up about the economy as you claim to be then you know this is undeniably true.

Nnngh. Don't make me get the Luthor picture again. I'll do it. I'm not shy about it.

I understand that price is a very important factor, but it's price differentials  versus perceived value differentials here. Price is not t he only factor, even in a recession like this one. If it were, blu-ray would not be growing, but it is. The Wii would not be curb stomping the 360, but it is. Wii Fitt would not be selling better than execise DVDs, the Elite and Pro packages of the 360 wouldn't be selling at all, on and on and on.

It's about values, not just price.

lol I can't believe there are still ppl on this site who make anti blu ray comments and pretend like it is not taking over.

perpride said:
lol I can't believe there are still ppl on this site who make anti blu ray comments and pretend like it is not taking over.

I was just thinking the same thing get over it people.

perpride said:

Nahhh....Don't you see? With DVD upconversions most people can't even TELL a difference.  /rolleyes. 

and Digital Distribution is going to take over for good too!  (Let's set aside the fact that Broadband penetration STILL isn't covering this country and is ridiculously slow in many places).  

It's only natural.  There really isn't much above Blu-Ray and there won't be.  Blu-Ray will happen because it maximizes your viewing enjoyment on HD TVs.

Around the Network

lol I can't believe there are still ppl on this site who make blu ray comments and pretend like it is taking over,When we all know digital digital distribution is taking over.

Garnett said:
lol I can't believe there are still ppl on this site who make blu ray comments and pretend like it is taking over,When we all know digital digital distribution is taking over.

Not at the current internet speeds and broadband penetration it's not.   Also, getting a majority of buyers who are from a generation essentially computer illiterate and have grown up with VHS,DVD  and only know of their movie collections as a physical thing.  It's going to be hard to switch their mindset.   Which then takes it even a step further.  Many people will be turned off by the hassle of potential Hard Drive failure. (Which let's face it, is very possible). 

Digital Distribution is two generations away at a minimum (If ever). (When Broadband speeds and physical storage will match the requirements needed on a widespread basis  and when a generation who has grown up with Napster/Limewire/Steam/Pirates Bay/ I-Tunes/Netflix/etc  will hit the mainstream movie buying market ). 

Every big scale retailer in the world and movie production company has every desire in the world to push Blu-Ray first and foremost.  Not the other way around.  It's very easy to see.

Khuutra said:
Cypher1980 said:
Khuutra said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

@Khuutra

Your response is EXTREMELY long and doesn't reflect history.  Continue to hold on to the wrong theory.  Watch history fulfill itself, again due to the reasons I mentioned.  You forget "average Joe" is the epitome of simplistic rationales when it somes to tech shopping.  I've lived through those time periods and watched them unfold too many times.

You are free to flee the conversation, but until you get some kind of grasp on what drives buying trends your claim of "history, history" means absolutely nothing, because you don't know why history went the way it did.

Sorry Khuutra you are totally wrong.

Price is obviously one of many deciding factors but in a recession it is the only factor ....

If you are as clued up about the economy as you claim to be then you know this is undeniably true.

Nnngh. Don't make me get the Luthor picture again. I'll do it. I'm not shy about it.

I understand that price is a very important factor, but it's price differentials  versus perceived value differentials here. Price is not t he only factor, even in a recession like this one. If it were, blu-ray would not be growing, but it is. The Wii would not be curb stomping the 360, but it is. Wii Fitt would not be selling better than execise DVDs, the Elite and Pro packages of the 360 wouldn't be selling at all, on and on and on.

It's about values, not just price.

If price was the only deciding factor Apple would not be selling Iphone and IpoD touch like hot cakes, even right now ( they just hit 30 million solds).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Above all the moaning from anti Blu Ray peeps.

And the horrifying use of selective statistics by Blu Ray devotees.

One thing that has always struck me about the current Blu Ray battle is the slow migration by the film companies compared to their adoption of DVD back in the late 1990s

In DVD's third year (2000) all releases were on DVD not a select few blockbusters. Not only this but my local Blockbusters in Pimlico LONDON had made the break and became a DVD only store.

Now BR is approaching its third year it will be interesting to see how much it emulates the performance of DVD in commercial acceptance.

I'm more interested in HVD personally, if that media comes out and big companies start supporting it, it's game over for anything before it pretty much.