By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Why DVD's better than Blu-Ray....

Rpruett said:
Follow the money trail. No one in the movie industry has any desire to move to a strict DD format or even primary DD format. Retail stores (Like Best Buy) hate Digital Distribution. It just cuts into their bottom line and product lines.

No one in the industry has any reason to NOT support Blu-Ray right now. If you want movies to show off that new TV you just bought (In all of it's glory)? You need to get a Blu-Ray player. All you see is HD TVs for sale now and the Blu-Ray movie rack is rapidly expanding. It's only a matter of time until it's a full blown takeover.

Digital Distribution is several, several years away from mainstream viability and usage. It also will require a mindset change in consumers and more reliability of hardware. Which only increases the amount of time until it can reach the mainstream consumer.

Several, several ?

Would that be more than a single several ?

Around the Network
Rpruett said:
Follow the money trail. No one in the movie industry has any desire to move to a strict DD format or even primary DD format. Retail stores (Like Best Buy) hate Digital Distribution. It just cuts into their bottom line and product lines.

No one in the industry has any reason to NOT support Blu-Ray right now. If you want movies to show off that new TV you just bought (In all of it's glory)? You need to get a Blu-Ray player. All you see is HD TVs for sale now and the Blu-Ray movie rack is rapidly expanding. It's only a matter of time until it's a full blown takeover.

Digital Distribution is several, several years away from mainstream viability and usage. It also will require a mindset change in consumers and more reliability of hardware. Which only increases the amount of time until it can reach the mainstream consumer.

I agree with everything apart from the last paragraph. Digital Distribution is here now and already commercially viable even mainstream.

My SKY+ box supports it my PC supports it, my Xbox supports it, my neighbours BT vision box supports it and my best friends Virgin Media PVR supports it.

Maybe in America things are different, as I understand they have comparitively poor internet speeds and access.

I just see Blu Ray co existing with DVD for many years to come and DD to coexist with them both for much longer as a rental delivery channel.

@Wiintendo

ummm...hopefully that was a joke, because this so called "on live" thing that is being touted will not de-throne physical media anytime soon, buddy.

In these dour economic times.....

Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Companies make profits on their blu-ray players.  The diodes aren't very expensive anymore.

IGN's article is deliberately provocative.  It's also easy to quibble with.  Blu-ray is just a stop-gap before downloads?  DVD was always a stop-gap before Blu-Ray and downloads.  DVD players can upscale?  PS3 and other blu-ray players are awesome upscalers.  Some movies you can't get on blu-ray?  Good luck finding FFVII: Advent Children Complete on DVD, suckers.

I have had it for 4 years. It's called FFVII: AC and all the "Complete" version has are scenes that SE just decided to not include in the DVD release so they could release it later on Blu-ray to get all the Square-Enix whores to buy a movie they already own, again.

idealy, what I think is going to happen [videogames] will resemble cable television even more...first we've gotta contribute to declining Neilsen ratings by not watching t.v.

then they drop the prices, include it with broadband cable - meaning streaming cable channels are available online for free with your broadband cable package, as if it's not expensive enough.

then, by some miracle, that I haven't figured in exactly just yet Broadband prices are driven down to more affordable rates.

and OnLive really takes off, with the majority of streaming gamers going there...

a few game channels are left open like GameTap.

and then it's all free. yes. all the internet is won by those who deserve it, freeloaders.

" According to Redhill Group, who compiled data for Home Media Magazine, over 11 million Blu-ray discs have been sold since the format launched in 2006. Sales have quadrupled since this time last year, and early sales data for May suggests that more titles have been sold in the first five months of this year than all of last year combined. "

---

"New data from HMR Research shows that the 9 million movies have been sold on Blu-ray since inception of the format in the United States, with 3 million of those having been sold during the first 11 weeks of this year. If this trend continues, Blu-ray is poised to sell nearly 15 million units in this year alone."

---

"The Walt Disney Company said that even despite of the fact that sales of Blu-ray discs (BDs) represent only a fraction among sales of movies, the new-generation high-definition media will overtake conventional DVDs in just two years from now.

“Consumers will adopt the new technology much sooner than we think. It's right on the verge of becoming really big in the U.S., where in two years Blu-ray will eclipse DVDs,” said David Jessen, Disney vice-president of Blu-ray and DVD creative production, in an interview with the Toronto Star news-paper."

---

...... so. Im guessing BR is doing just fine. No need to get all e-expert on eachother.

DVD is the main player and controls the market. Blu-Ray offers no extra features over DVD besides upscaled resolution and larger storage capaity. Blu-ray is irrelevant. So what Blu-Ray won the HD format war over HD-DVD. Big deal.

I did not even buy a HD-DVD add on thing waste of money.

@numonex
Almost everything you said is false, actually.

"Blu-Ray offers no extra features over DVD besides upscaled resolution and larger storage capaity"
It offers better video codecs, better audio, better scratch resilience, better authoring features allowing things like menu overlays and picture in picture for e.g. commentaries.
And yes, those things are actually used, I watched "Serenity" with a nice PiP commentary just two days ago.

"Blu-ray is irrelevant"
Keep telling yourself that it is irrelevant in the face of the big market players actually shifting their weight towards it. In another year the price of the readers will hit a market soft spot around 120$, and with these being al perfectly capable of upscaling DVDs and all new movies coming out in BR, there will be no reason to not buy one for each owner of an HDTV.

I was wondering why all the irrational hatred against a better, back compatible format. Then I read that you talked about "HD-DVD add on thing" and I realized that it's just a facet of console fanboyism. Good luck with that.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman