By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Why DVD's better than Blu-Ray....

I think 12% for Blur-Ray is great considering that only 5%(maybe 10% max) of DVD's titles are released on Blue-Ray. I think they still count the sales for DVDs that were released since launch of DVD itself Vs. Blue-Rays smaller catalog. But that is my opinion.

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

Around the Network
NanakiXI said:
I think 12% for Blur-Ray is great considering that only 5%(maybe 10% max) of DVD's titles are released on Blue-Ray. I think they still count the sales for DVDs that were released since launch of DVD itself Vs. Blue-Rays smaller catalog. But that is my opinion.

That's because those 10% of DVD titles is where a HUGE chuck of the money goes to (big Hollywood titles).  Those are all on Blu-ray (no "e") unless shot in 480p.

Khuutra said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

There is more of an audio and video difference than DVD over VHS.  That's a fact and can't be logically disputed.  Are you not looking at the charts I placed for you to look at?  It doesn't make sense to make a statement saying people don't care about Blu-ray (notice...no "e" in Blu-ray) after seeing those charts.  Just say that YOU and some fanatical ex-HD DVD supporters don't care about Blu-ray (for obivous reasons) and call it a day.  DVD sales have been CONSTANTLY falling.  Blu-ray sales is CONSTANTLY rising.  'Nuff said.

This I wasn't aware of. DVDs made less money in 2008 than in 2007?

Just follow the Home Media Magazine weekly reports.

Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
Khuutra said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:

There is more of an audio and video difference than DVD over VHS.  That's a fact and can't be logically disputed.  Are you not looking at the charts I placed for you to look at?  It doesn't make sense to make a statement saying people don't care about Blu-ray (notice...no "e" in Blu-ray) after seeing those charts.  Just say that YOU and some fanatical ex-HD DVD supporters don't care about Blu-ray (for obivous reasons) and call it a day.  DVD sales have been CONSTANTLY falling.  Blu-ray sales is CONSTANTLY rising.  'Nuff said.

This I wasn't aware of. DVDs made less money in 2008 than in 2007?

Just follow the Home Media Magazine weekly reports.

That doesn' answer my question.

twesterm said:
Ok, yes, if you try destroy a DVD you're going to destroy a DVD.  Stop playing stupid, you know what I mean when I say it's more durable.  I'm not talking about rubbing it against the pavement (and if you rub the actual tape against the pavement, same result as the DVD). 

I'm talking about with age, the DVD wins.  After 100 viewings, the DVD wins.  Also, DVD's players rarely destroy your DVD (I'm not saying they don't) but VHS players eat tapes A LOT.  I don't think I've ever lost a DVD due to a player malfunction and I've lost maybe two DVD's due to wear(and that was due to being in a freshman dorm) but I can't count the number of VHS tapes my VHS player has eaten or how many VHS tapes that have just become unwatchable due to wear and age (and I in general take excellent care of all my media).

I still have a good 50 or so VHS tapes at my parents house and I would say a good half half of those I can't watch anymore.  I guarantee you if I come back in 20 years and try to play my DVD's, they'll still work.

That is what I'm talking about with more durable. 

And I guess we just know different people because just about every non-tech person I know either doesn't see enough of a difference to care or just doesn't care (and this counts for all ages).

And I can skip every FBI warning by pressing fast forward or pressing skip chapter.  And even if I couldn't skip that, I would take the 10 seconds of FBI warning over the minutes it takes to rewind.  Jesus, talk about grasping at straws. :-p

-edit-
Whoops, forgot portability.

Perhaps portability is the wrong word I'm using, forgive me, I suck at words today.  I'm merely talking about the sheer number of devices you have that support the media.  Today, how many things do you have that play DVD's?  Ok, how many devices do you have that play BluRay?  If you're thinking about the switch, you have to sacrifice that, shall we say flexibility?

Yes, your DVD's still work everywhere but your BluRays don't.

And I said before, VHS just didn't have that flexibility.  You had your camcorder and your VHS player(s), today we have our DVD players, computers, consoles, portable DVD players, and probably other things I'm just not thinking of.  As soon as you go to BluRay, new movies can't take advantage of that.

I agree with you on a lot of your general position twesterm but I disagree with quite a few of your points. 

-- Durability:  You can't really say "well VHS is vulnerable in the magnetic tape so it's also easy to damage" because if someone isn't being an idiot then it's protected by the plastic shell.  The tape is only an issue for the player eating tapes.  DVDs, on the other hand, have the data exposed to the world (unless in the DVD case). 
-- I agree that VHS players do sometimes eat tapes while DVD players having the same problem is practically unheard of AFAIK unless it's a mechanical problem like in those 360s.  But it's very uncommon even in VHS players, to the point where it's really a nonissue for both sides. 
-- Tapes do age and wear out but unless it is being very heavily watched (e.g. kids with a Disney movie) then it can easily last decades.  I have some tapes going on 20 years if not older that still are perfectly watchable IIRC.  DVD definitely has the advantage here but tapes aren't as bad as you're saying if treated well. 
-- FBI warning / skipping:  I agree with you here, that "point" borders on nonsense.

-- Portability:  I think you may be coloring this with your own experience.  I can easily turn the tables:  When my household got a DVD player, we had 3 or 4 VHS players scattered throughout the house.  We only had the one DVD player for several years, maybe until 2005.  Now, the same household has 4 DVD players (counting the dual-drive PC once) and one Blu-ray player.  They might have just that one Blu-ray player for as long as they had just the one DVD player ... but probably they'll get another sooner.  I think it's a mistake to assume that this is a bigger disadvantage for BR compared to when DVD was in the same position. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Blu rays only sincere hope is the PS3..

apart from that..i dont see people binning out a thousand dollars to upgrade their setup.

good luck with that.. i miss HD-DVD it was so much more economicaly viable and didnt have screwed up live or DRM... oh well

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

If you think BR players cost $1000 you are WAY behind the times.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd."
Are you SURE?

Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
NanakiXI said:

That's because those 10% of DVD titles is where a HUGE chuck of the money goes to (big Hollywood titles).  Those are all on Blu-ray (no "e") unless shot in 480p.

I'll give you the fact that I spelled Blu-Ray wrong like 3 times(My mistake) but WTF are you talking about? I'm talking about every DVD ever released. Almost every new movie is now released on Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray catalog is like 5%-10% of DVD's catalog so DVD has much more movies to sell Vs. Blu-Ray. If every movie on DVD (not new talking about new releases but every movie ever) was to be released on Blue-Ray tomorrow and sell for a few months I think we would see a big difference in %.

Plain and simple DVD has a bigger library so DVD sells more. There are more DVD players than Blu-Ray players so DVD sells more. If they equal it would be a different story.

Blu-Ray is a new format and will take time to grow. Keep in mind that the people over the age of 40yrs (not a fact but common sense as they have always bought movies physically and not digitally their whole life) are more likely to convert to Blu-Ray than Download. That is a huge number of people. My grandparents don't have computers but they have a Blu-Ray that can play their DVDs and they buy new movies or scathed DVDs on Blu-Ray.

Last time I checked PPV has been around for while and never stole any thunder from DVDs.

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

I'm done with this topic and will laugh at all the people who will be eating crow once Blu-Ray is the market leader. It may not be now and it might not be a year from now but it will happen.