By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Why DVD's better than Blu-Ray....

I'm not sure I understand your point with posting the two top ten lists. What does "most popular item" have to do with "what's on the menu"?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
I'm not sure I understand your point with posting the two top ten lists. What does "most popular item" have to do with "what's on the menu"?

The 2 top ten lists are intended to show the disparity between the Netflix library and the Blu-ray library.  The Netflix top 10 list shows the most viewed media from the Netflix library.  If Netflix had the Dark Knight, Iron Man, Transformers, etc they would surely chart in the top ten.  Basically, this is the best each library currently offers.  I think it supports my notion that the Netflix library is hardly competitive with the Blu-ray library.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

People in these forums need to learn to be less defensive. When someone posts anti-blue-ray opinions and blue-ray owners flare up like this, it only points to their insecurity about their purchase.

I don't see why anyone would think the arguments are paper-thin. They basically amount to: DVD is better right now because it is cheaper and widely accepted. Blue-ray is too expensive; The visual benefits do not make up for how much you have to pay.

People say that BRay is like DVD was when it first came out. That is true in the regard that DVD was untested then, just like we are not sure how BRay is going to turn out now. However, DVD represented a large step forward over VHS in picture quality and features. BRay is not as big of a step forward from DVD.

BRay will probably be the next big medium until digital distribution takes over. Then again, it may still go the way of the zip-drive. Too soon to tell. I don't see how anyone can argue against the points I made above, but I am sure some of you will find a way.

What arrogance!

Also, I think it's at least as likely that anti-blu-ray flaming betrays insecurity on the part of ex-HDDVD enthusiasts and DD supporters.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Well said Final-Fan.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
@ Twesterm, was that your heavy breathing?

I have a stuffed up nose :-p

steven787 said:
Ascended_Saiyan3 said:
steven787 said:
The argument is flawed in so many ways.

Bluray doesn't have to "beat" DVD. It only has to be profitable and it is.

Will it last? Probably, Blurays aren't expensive to transport and store. Will it become the standard? No, it will always be a semi-luxury item because DVD is good enough for most people and viable HD downloads for the masses are just around the corner.

Blu-ray is the successor of DVD.  This is what the HD format war was about.  Your statement about DVD being "good enough" for most people was the same for VHS (as seen is the links I posted a few pages ago to old VHS vs DVD sites).

The term "good enough" may be the same, but the reasoning behind the statement is different.

The reason why DVD "beat" VHS was for practical reasons - size, production cost, tranportation, storage, longevity, navigation.

Blu-Ray (which I love) has no PRACTICAL advantages over DVDIt has some cool features and a better image but it will cost more than DVD to produce for many more years, it will always be the same size, it will always cost the same amount to tranport, it will always be about as durable*, and it will always have similar navigation.

By the time the production costs go down enough to compete on a true world wide mass market, there will be many forms of competition through digital distribution.

I'm not saying that they're a failure, I'm saying that they're not going to "beat" DVD.    It's gonna be around awhile and it's gonna be profitable.

Besides all that, I never said it wasn't the successor to DVD... that term is marketing hype that the companies that produce them have given as a label.  It is because the manufacturers say it is, I can't argue with a abstract statement like that.

Yes, DVD was cheaper to produce, but DVD costs TO THE CUSTOMER was MORE than Blu-ray discs in the beginningStorage, longevity, AND navigation (adding bookmarks for quick nav) are ALL in favor of Blu-ray (although the navigation advantage isn't as large...now).

BTW, downloads lose many aspects of the advantages that optical media brings, but that's another argument.

http://www.robertsdvd.com/failure.html

Saying that Blu-ray won't "beat" DVD is STILL much like VHS arguments against DVD.  The FACT is that within the 1st year WITHOUT HD DVD in the picture, Blu-ray has already gotten as high as 16 to 18% of the market. 

The funny thing is that the term "marketing hype" is a form of  anti-hype.  It's just on the opposite side of the spectrum (two halves of the same coin).

Final-Fan said:
What arrogance!

Also, I think it's at least as likely that anti-blu-ray flaming betrays insecurity on the part of ex-HDDVD enthusiasts and DD supporters.

Perfectly executed!

Final-Fan said:
What arrogance!

That is probably the case with many people flaming blue-ray.

Myself, I never owned anything HDDVD.  I think that DD is nice, but with current technological limitations it has not replaced optical medium.  Also, I'm not sure if your statement included me, but I don't believe I flamed blu-ray.  I simply said that, at the moment, it is not worth the cost.  In the future, that will probably change.

blu-ray cannot beat DVD, because DVD will alway's be supported by all blu-ray optical drives. Blu-Ray was designed in 1997 to be the next evolution of DVD. not unlike HD DVD both format's can play DVD's ..so how was that meant to beat it. it Still play's Standard DVD's. Blu-Ray is just an evolution of DVD. that uses a blue/green laser. DVD is still going to be there, an so will Blu-Ray.

a good example:

LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super i Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20L -MultRetail

Free Blu-ray media with purchase, ends 3/31

Original Price: $229.99You Save: $30.00

$199.99

-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136137&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL032009&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL032009-_-BluRayBurners-_-L0E-_-27136137

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.