By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Why DVD's better than Blu-Ray....

Yeah and could argue the same thing about CD and DVD for games 10 years ago...New and better techonology replaces the old, even if the changes aren't inmediate. It will happen, get over it.

Around the Network

I`ve recently watched sunshine on DVD and on Blu-ray, and it was better picture quality and sound on Blu-Ray. That`s the reason Blu-Ray is better. It`s as easy as that.
Amen

Kos-mos said:
I`ve recently watched sunshine on DVD and on Blu-ray, and it was better picture quality and sound on Blu-Ray. That`s the reason Blu-Ray is better. It`s as easy as that.
Amen

Agreed, but I think you are missing the point. Nobody is arguing that BR looks and sounds better than DVD.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

averyblund said:
Kos-mos said:
Amen

Agreed, but I think you are missing the point. Nobody is arguing that BR looks and sounds better than DVD.

But still isn`t better? I always thought watching movies was all about sound and picture.

Kos-mos said:
averyblund said:
Kos-mos said:
Amen

But still isn`t better? I always thought watching movies was all about sound and picture.

Well cost and access (relevant vs downloads) are pretty important to many of us. 

Personally I'm far more interested in Blu-Ray as a PC storage medium than as an AV format. A Blu-Ray disc can hold a dozen Blu-Ray quality H.264 videos. Or a heck of a lot of backups.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Around the Network
averyblund said:
Kos-mos said:
averyblund said:
Kos-mos said:
Amen

Well cost and access (relevant vs downloads) are pretty important to many of us.

Ooooh. You`re talking about cost and access. I see, but still Blu-ray IS better than dvd.  You can`t say dvd is better because it`s cheaper and have more access, or is it the same with cars, games, computers, televisions, toasters, bed frames, condoms, dildos, tooth brushes just to mention a few. Quality over quantity or vice versa? What`s better?

Senlis said:
Final-Fan said:
What arrogance!

Also, I think it's at least as likely that anti-blu-ray flaming betrays insecurity on the part of ex-HDDVD enthusiasts and DD supporters.
That is probably the case with many people flaming blue-ray.

Myself, I never owned anything HDDVD.  I think that DD is nice, but with current technological limitations it has not replaced optical medium.  Also, I'm not sure if your statement included me, but I don't believe I flamed blu-ray.  I simply said that, at the moment, it is not worth the cost.  In the future, that will probably change.

I haven't been watching you closely enough to claim that you have been flaming (or not).  The arrogance comment was directed at you based on your last post, particularly the end. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Kos-mos said:
averyblund said:
Kos-mos said:
Amen

For some movie freaks yeah...but for most people...if it comes to spending $200 or more to get a brd player over a upcoverter...hmmm....brd will lose everytime....it's as easy as that.  BTW...CDs are still around and kicking, and it was never replaced by dvds for music...hmmm...somehow, I think brd will have a rough go at it.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

If the Blu-Ray player I'd gotten with my 50" HDTV hadn't been free, I'd say it was a waste of money. You can recite all the stats you want at me, but the Blu-Ray discs are at best a tiny marginal upgrade over the upscaled DVDs it plays, with little to no functionality improvements that I've noticed (in fact, it's worse, since my player apparently can't play all BR discs even though all DVD players I've ever had can play all DVD discs). There's no reason for me to pay anything for it (no I don't have surround sound, either, and neither do most people, that's an even smaller niche than HD usage).

DKII said:
If the Blu-Ray player I'd gotten with my 50" HDTV hadn't been free, I'd say it was a waste of money. You can recite all the stats you want at me, but the Blu-Ray discs are at best a tiny marginal upgrade over the upscaled DVDs it plays, with little to no functionality improvements that I've noticed (in fact, it's worse, since my player apparently can't play all BR discs even though all DVD players I've ever had can play all DVD discs). There's no reason for me to pay anything for it (no I don't have surround sound, either, and neither do most people, that's an even smaller niche than HD usage).

With brd, as with ps3...it's always about some future improvements...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder