By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Call of Duty: World at War (Wii) has sold 1m copies.

Soriku said:
Over 20 mil? I don't really think so.

Why the hell not? Games like Final Fantasy XII costed over 40 million. Any game with high productino values cost a lot of money, regardless of console.

Period.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Shanobi said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Given that it's sold a fraction on double the user base it's not really that brag worthy. All this shows is that the audience for this kind of game is drastically smaller than on the other consoles, and the % of wii owners interested in this sort of game is even more drastic compared to the other consoles.

An audience exists? Yes, but if the team that made WAW on wii had instead been split up and put making two much cheaper family party games would they have profited more? I think that is the real question the publishers will be looking at.

The real question is, if hardcore Wii games in fact cost 1/5th of what 360 and PS3 games cost, has the Wii version been more profitable than it's HD versions?

No they don't. Red Steel cost more than Gears of War.

They both costed 10 mil.

Anyway, that's one exception out of...how many games?

There are others, but the point is to not use absolute numbers. Not all Wii games are cheaper than HD games. They just aren't.

But the vast majority are...

I kinda like to compare big Wii game costs to big HD game costs and then average HD game costs to average HD game costs. I think it's more accurate that way as if a big game isn't on the Wii usually it's on the HD consoles.

Well, outside of Super Mario Galaxy, we haven't had a big budget that's released that really had great production values.

I'm interested in the costs of The Conduit and MH3. Both should be well over 20 million.

MH3 maybe 20 mill. But the Conduit? Are you kidding? They didn't even have a punblisher until recently and I hardly believe that HVS has 20 mill laying around. 10-12 tops, though Sega will certainly spend a good amount on ads. But ads do not equal production cost.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Didn't epic outsource much of Gears' dev? Also the fact that its their engine that was being used help to lower those costs. I mean Why do people continue to argue with the facts. Wii dev is cheaper than HD dev; we've had industry developers and publishers say this on a multitude of occasions 1/3-1/4 the costs. Let it go.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Soriku said:

SMG isn't even 20 mil and that's extremely high production.

$16 million was the number I heard for SMG, but the bulk of work put into SMG was all creative. The cost comes from the graphics, and that's what the two I mentioned are pushing for.

@ Arius

Actually, we've had one company give out that figure. And consider the size of the teams and the games released from the company, I'm surprised it's not more.

averyblund said:
outlawauron said:

Well, outside of Super Mario Galaxy, we haven't had a big budget that's released that really had great production values.

I'm interested in the costs of The Conduit and MH3. Both should be well over 20 million.

MH3 maybe 20 mill. But the Conduit? Are you kidding? They didn't even have a punblisher until recently and I hardly believe that HVS has 20 mill laying around. 10-12 tops, though Sega will certainly spend a good amount on ads. But ads do not equal production cost.

$20 million is very unlikely for Conduit. It's dev cycle is only 18 months and a few months ago a developer stated they had about 30 people working on it at the time. I have no doubt that the team was larger at certain points in the dev cycle, but I don't see how it could have cost $20 million.

$20 million probably would come close to paying for the salaries of all 130 High Voltage employees for that 18 month period, but they've had other projects in the works during that period, including lots of WiiWare and licensed work.

Your $10 million estimate seems far more plausible.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
averyblund said:

If ads aren't production cost, where do they go to?

outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Shanobi said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Given that it's sold a fraction on double the user base it's not really that brag worthy. All this shows is that the audience for this kind of game is drastically smaller than on the other consoles, and the % of wii owners interested in this sort of game is even more drastic compared to the other consoles.

An audience exists? Yes, but if the team that made WAW on wii had instead been split up and put making two much cheaper family party games would they have profited more? I think that is the real question the publishers will be looking at.

The real question is, if hardcore Wii games in fact cost 1/5th of what 360 and PS3 games cost, has the Wii version been more profitable than it's HD versions?

They both costed 10 mil.

There are others, but the point is to not use absolute numbers. Not all Wii games are cheaper than HD games. They just aren't.

No, it is indeed hard to use actual numbers in an industry that seems to live in its own little financial Wonderland. [March 11, 2009] Rockstar proudly announces selling 13 million copies of GTA IV and by the way, we lost $50 million doing it. Their stock tumbles. [March 13, 2009] Rockstar stock rebounds on the strength of early sales of the DS version of GTA. WTF!!!!!

There is certainly something wrong in HD land if you have to count on Carnival Games and a handheld version of GTA to "rescue" you from selling 13 million copies of your flagship game. Talk about a Pyrrhic victory. Apparently some publishers can't make money with a printing press [although the owners can since they walked away with millions in stock - good thing the DS was there to make that stock worth something].

Given that type of bizarre universe, there probably is NO rule that always applies. In such a fantasia a Wii game can even cost as much as a HD one. Still, it is a little disingenuous to leave the impression on the table that such parity is anywhere close to the norm. Quite a few publishers and other industry insiders have gone on record with estimates of the difference between Wii and HD games.
THQ president Brian Farrell - 2x to 4x
EA boss John Riccitiello - 3x to 4x
Japanese Industry Report  2.5x (2x 360 - 3x PS3)
Colin Sebastian, video game industry analyst - 2x to 4x
Scott A. Steinberg, Sega marketing VP - 2x - 3.5x
Kelly Flock, THQ Exec. VP THQ - $1.5-4m vs $10-12m (2.5x to 8x)
San Francisco Chronicle - $5m vs $20m+ (4x+)

The figure has mostly fallen somewhere between 2x and 4x difference in development costs. I personally don't recall a single example of any estimate below 2x. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected in the next few seconds.

Grampy said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Shanobi said:
The_vagabond7 said:

They both costed 10 mil.

No, it is indeed hard to use actual numbers in an industry that seems to live in its own little financial Wonderland. [March 11, 2009] Rockstar proudly announces selling 13 million copies of GTA IV and by the way, we lost $50 million doing it. Their stock tumbles. [March 13, 2009] Rockstar stock rebounds on the strength of early sales of the DS version of GTA. WTF!!!!!

There is certainly something wrong in HD land if you have to count on Carnival Games and a handheld version of GTA to "rescue" you from selling 13 million copies of your flagship game. Talk about a Pyrrhic victory. Apparently some publishers can't make money with a printing press [although the owners can since they walked away with millions in stock - good thing the DS was there to make that stock worth something].

Given that type of bizarre universe, there probably is NO rule that always applies. In such a fantasia a Wii game can even cost as much as a HD one. Still, it is a little disingenuous to leave the impression on the table that such parity is anywhere close to the norm. Quite a few publishers and other industry insiders have gone on record with estimates of the difference between Wii and HD games.
THQ president Brian Farrell - 2x to 4x
EA boss John Riccitiello - 3x to 4x
Japanese Industry Report  2.5x (2x 360 - 3x PS3)
Colin Sebastian, video game industry analyst - 2x to 4x
Scott A. Steinberg, Sega marketing VP - 2x - 3.5x
Kelly Flock, THQ Exec. VP THQ - $1.5-4m vs $10-12m (2.5x to 8x)
San Francisco Chronicle - $5m vs $20m+ (4x+)

The figure has mostly fallen somewhere between 2x and 4x difference in development costs. I personally don't recall a single example of any estimate below 2x. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected in the next few seconds.

I'm just saying that it'll vary wildly from game to game. Especially with games like World at War where nearly all of the assets outside of graphics are reused across all versions. (voice acting, sound work, story, writing, level design, etc.)

Even if the numbers you posted, you have people from THQ disagreeing with each other.

outlawauron said:
averyblund said:

If ads aren't production cost, where do they go to?

Marketing costs, the same as movies having separate costs for production and marketing.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

These estimates, as imperfect as they are show that development costs have a significant impact in the types of sales numbers that most games actually achieve. One figure often quoted in trade literature is that only 3 in 10 games ever recover their cost.  Can this be reconciled with the cost estimates.

I took the most conservative development cost ratio of 2 to 1 between HD and Wii and the most often quoted estimate on unit sales necessary to recover cost of 500K (HD) and 250K (Wii). I used the VG Chartz game list but included only games with sales greater than 0.0, to eliminate the pile of canceled, upcoming or rumored games that fill up the bottom of the list.

Total Games

1m + Platinum

500K+ Gold

250K+

% Profitable

PS3

14%

Xbox360

35%

Wii

34%

These figures would seem to indicate that while a few more games have been profitable on the Wii, a developer has approximately equal odds of creating a profitable game on the Xbox360 or the Wii. Only about half the bank-roll is required to try your hand on the Wii, hence its popularity with smaller and indie developers. The odds look significantly worse on the PS3 especially considering that it is generally regarded as being more expensive to develop for than the Xbox 360.

Now taking the total for all three consoles, how well do these estimates correlate to a 3/10 industry wide success rate?

Total Games

Total Profitable

% Profitable

29.6%

The surprisingly perfect agreement means that the minimum sales estimates may be reasonable accurate.