By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales tracking almost exactly 360 sales.

Intereting ... thats tru , but not surprising at all ... seriously , everyone knew that the PS3 will sell at least as good as the 360 with much higher price ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

I really don't think library size will matter all that much this season, atleast not nearly to the extent it's mattered during pswii's first 10 months. it's my opinion (uh oh) that people will be watching the titans wrestle rather then counting foot-soldiers. I'm sorry, i realize it's distressingly unfair for me to say "well it's my opinion so that's that".

I couldn't disagree more with this statement.  The library size is the primary thing that matters when you are looking at the PS3 vs. 360.  This is what made the PS2 so successful despite the fact that there was not that much to differentiate it from the xbox.  Halo 3 is important for the 360 obviously (and for MS profitability), but in the long run, it is not going to matter nearly as much as all the rest of the software.

Honestly, I am pretty shocked at the severe lack of diverse software for the PS3 at this point.  MS carved themselves a very strong niche with the shooter market last gen and has managed to carry that over to this gen in a big way.  But that niche is of limited value unless they can also deliver on a wide variety of other genres.  MS appears to be trying their best to expand on that niche, albeit with limited success, but the quality racing, rpg, adventure, strategy type games that they have put out are extremely important in building their platform into something that appeals to a wider user base.  Sony appears to be focusing a lot on competing in the shooter market with their most popular 2006 (Resistance) and 2007 (UT) games likely to be in this category - but IMO that is kind of a trap since they are not going to unseat MS in that genre and they have not been able to capitalize on MS's mediocre success in other genres.  Seriously, Sony should be downright ashamed that the best RPG experience this gen is on the 360.

Sony needs GT5 and FF asap!

I also don't think it is a good idea to underestimate the 360's 2008 lineup.  We have limited information about it at this time, but we know games like Fable, LO, Halo Wars, NG2, GOW2 are likely exclusives and should  be the best games in their respective genres when they are released.  I also think GTA4 will be very critical... this will be a platform seller so if either side manages to dominate sales on this game, it could have a pretty significant impact on the future (IMO Sony is very lucky this game got delayed as I don't think they would really be able to compete this holiday season as a 3rd party platform).

Of course, through all of this, you can't ignore the affect the Wii is having.  With the mass market moving to the Wii, the market for many genres is going to be severely limited on the PS3 and 360.

Dodece said:
I think all the valid points have been made in regards to the topic. For the most part the numbers are purely coincidental arriving at the same point through no common factor. The sales being different in different regions, and for different reasons. There also seems to be a vocal buying minority that will stiffen sales of consoles even when it is apparent they are failing to capture a reasonable percentage of the market. Perhaps it is brand loyalty. Most likely it is a mass of different factors. This feature, that game, and the collector mentality might all be conspirators.

Thanks for the well-written post Dodece. I just wanted to touch on one thing from your first sentence. 

Yes, I agree that most of the valid points about this topic have been made. My interest is purely in the fact that these coincidental factors have lining up for months now.  From a statistics point of view, this is rather remarkable.   

whats up with the chartz europe decreased sales??? 360 was at 11.2 now at 11.19 and ps3 was at 3.64 now at 3.74???

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

nevermind i forgot ioi is backtracking and updating from previous weeks

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament