By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales tracking almost exactly 360 sales.

Sqrl said:
Here this should be a good example of why the PS2 line is hard to make sense of when comparing to the early life of a console.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=All&cons2=GC&reg2=All&cons3=PS2&reg3=All&align=1

As you can see the Gamcube line blends in pretty well with the PS2 line at the beginning of its lifetime. So its really not a good way to look at it if you want a good idea of how they are performing in these early stages.

I am really hoping that in the future we will have the ability to zoom in or set the window size so we can look closer and see the differences a lot clearer.

This actually may be a really good argument for the central limit theorem mentioned near the top of this thread. It seems there is a trend for the release of any console that taps into the segment of the population who is ready to buy the machine no matter what.  It is interesting that this period lasts about 40 weeks.  

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
Here this should be a good example of why the PS2 line is hard to make sense of when comparing to the early life of a console.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=All&cons2=GC&reg2=All&cons3=PS2&reg3=All&align=1

As you can see the Gamcube line blends in pretty well with the PS2 line at the beginning of its lifetime. So its really not a good way to look at it if you want a good idea of how they are performing in these early stages.

I am really hoping that in the future we will have the ability to zoom in or set the window size so we can look closer and see the differences a lot clearer.

of course everyone who uses the PS2 line to defend anything always have that "launches aligned" checkbox checked.

Anyone who has seen this picture must know that last generation was never in doubt and the PS2's "slow launch" where they only had one region never really mattered, the Xbox and Gamecube never looked like challenging the PS2.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=All&cons2=GC&reg2=All&cons3=XB&reg3=All

A head start is much more important than most people make it out to be. You need to overcome that headstart QUICKLY, or there is no incentive to develop for your console.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Dolla Dolla said:
leo-j said:
And that saying its a $600.00 system vs a $350.00 system or $280.00 system or a $450.00 system etc..

Actually $500. The uptake of 80gb Motorstorm bundles is decidely less than the $500 60gb.

Surprising. You'd think with the Playstation name and two consoles with 100 million a piece under their belts they would sell quite a bit differently. Yet, the PS3 is tracking only a bit higher than the Gamecube and nearly on the same track as the original Xbox.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3®1=All&cons2=GC®2=All&cons3=XB®3=All&align=1

Times have certainly changed.

That's what you get with a 600$ price tag. if it weren't for the other two systems, the system would be dead now at less then a million sold.

omgwtfbbq said:
Sqrl said:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3®1=All&cons2=GC®2=All&cons3=PS2®3=All&align=1

of course everyone who uses the PS2 line to defend anything always have that "launches aligned" checkbox checked.

Anyone who has seen this picture must know that last generation was never in doubt and the PS2's "slow launch" where they only had one region never really mattered, the Xbox and Gamecube never looked like challenging the PS2.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS2®1=All&cons2=GC®2=All&cons3=XB®3=All

A head start is much more important than most people make it out to be. You need to overcome that headstart QUICKLY, or there is no incentive to develop for your console.

a good headstart is very important but if a console can build momentum then it can overcome the headstart

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Smashchu said:
Dolla Dolla said:
leo-j said:
And that saying its a $600.00 system vs a $350.00 system or $280.00 system or a $450.00 system etc..

Actually $500. The uptake of 80gb Motorstorm bundles is decidely less than the $500 60gb.

Surprising. You'd think with the Playstation name and two consoles with 100 million a piece under their belts they would sell quite a bit differently. Yet, the PS3 is tracking only a bit higher than the Gamecube and nearly on the same track as the original Xbox.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3®1=All&cons2=GC®2=All&cons3=XB®3=All&align=1

That's what you get with a 600$ price tag. if it weren't for the other two systems, the system would be dead now at less then a million sold.

What?  Are you trying to say that PS3 sales would be worse if the Wii and 360 didn't exist, or if the GC and Xbox didn't exist?  I ask purely out of curiosity because either way that statement is insane. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Smashchu said:
Dolla Dolla said:
leo-j said:

What? Are you trying to say that PS3 sales would be worse if the Wii and 360 didn't exist, or if the GC and Xbox didn't exist? I ask purely out of curiosity because either way that statement is insane.

I think he's trying to say that if the PS3 had been Sony's first system, the $600 price tag would have killed it almost instantly. The main reason the PS3 hasn't died is because of brand recognition.

LunarFlame17 said:
Final-Fan said:
Smashchu said:
Dolla Dolla said:
leo-j said:

What? Are you trying to say that PS3 sales would be worse if the Wii and 360 didn't exist, or if the GC and Xbox didn't exist? I ask purely out of curiosity because either way that statement is insane.

I think he's trying to say that if the PS3 had been Sony's first system, the $600 price tag would have killed it almost instantly. The main reason the PS3 hasn't died is because of brand recognition.

Yes, I just realized that a minute ago.  Which makes him not insane, but it's still a useless and unprovable statement, especially if you consider that in that thought exercise, to be fair, we would also have to stipulate that the Xbox and all prior Nintendo consoles didn't exist. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

darthdevidem said:
@Jeflee

Play TV looks cool NO DOUBT but I already have something called SKY+ which is VERY similar to play Tv except not in HD

I'm not bitchin or degrading the Ps3 (hell I sold my WII for it), I LOVE IT for everything it does n Warhawk is the first step towards being fully satisfied (Uncharted being the next one)

i didn't mean bitch in a 'ps3 hater' fashion, you guys really do have a legitimate gripe with pricing for example. It was more of a joke on how you guys tend to get routinely screwed in the game industry and your finally getting what you guys deserve.

and yes, warhawk and playTV are awesome, playTV for example, is perfect for my work environment. When your paid to sit around staring at other peoples cars for 12 hours in a row, you tend to really start to appreciate your laptop/portable gaming system. :p

infact, i think i'll go play warhawk now.

Interesting how things are working out, but it's not over just yet. This trend will be easier to compare after the holiday season.

The thing to remember is that 360 had Gears of War pushing systems during its 2nd holiday season. Will the PS3 have the same boost during its 2nd? It seems unlikely since it doesn't have a game of Gears level coming out in time.

My prediction is that the PS3 will underneath the 360 during this time simply because of the lack of a killer app.

Meanwhile, the 360 is getting a 2nd killer app. in Halo 3 this holiday season. It should be another nice christmas for the 360.

Submit to the deliciousness of the MAD COW BEEF!

URNotE said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Sqrl said:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3®1=All&cons2=GC®2=All&cons3=PS2®3=All&align=1

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS2®1=All&cons2=GC®2=All&cons3=XB®3=All

a good headstart is very important but if a console can build momentum then it can overcome the headstart

of course. And that's exactly what the Wii has done, and exactly what the PS3 has failed to do. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!