By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales tracking almost exactly 360 sales.

^ i believe both wii and ps3 can still be considered almost starting, and wii has taken off, ps3 is still left behind.

It could be a very crucial christmas for ps3, maybe even more then 360

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

Playstation 3 is only coincidentally tracking the sales of the Xbox 360.

Jonbob0008 said:
Interesting how things are working out, but it's not over just yet. This trend will be easier to compare after the holiday season.

The thing to remember is that 360 had Gears of War pushing systems during its 2nd holiday season. Will the PS3 have the same boost during its 2nd? It seems unlikely since it doesn't have a game of Gears level coming out in time.

My prediction is that the PS3 will underneath the 360 during this time simply because of the lack of a killer app.

Meanwhile, the 360 is getting a 2nd killer app. in Halo 3 this holiday season. It should be another nice christmas for the 360.

UT3 and uncharted are justifiably 'gears level' games and better. IMO, gears has been extremely overrated primarily because it was the only decent game of it's seaon. (due to it being xbox's first year and pswii's starting lineup)

Not to mention metal gear solid, little big planet and killzone 2 which will Carry sales in the early part of 2008 when xbox's exclusive lineup weakens. infact, i really can't think of many early 08 360 exclusives. i know you have huxley in Q2 and alan wak/too human floating around in TBA land. the only competition sony will have will be third party multi-platforms like GTA and fallout 3. 

i wouldn't count out a sales jump yet, but it will most certainyl be alot more gradual then the gears of war spike due to halo hype and mass effect.

JeffLee said:
Jonbob0008 said:
Interesting how things are working out, but it's not over just yet. This trend will be easier to compare after the holiday season.

The thing to remember is that 360 had Gears of War pushing systems during its 2nd holiday season. Will the PS3 have the same boost during its 2nd? It seems unlikely since it doesn't have a game of Gears level coming out in time.

My prediction is that the PS3 will underneath the 360 during this time simply because of the lack of a killer app.

Meanwhile, the 360 is getting a 2nd killer app. in Halo 3 this holiday season. It should be another nice christmas for the 360.

UT3 and uncharted are justifiably 'gears level' games and better. IMO, gears has been extremely overrated primarily because it was the only decent game of it's seaon. (due to it being xbox's first year and pswii's starting lineup)

Not to mention metal gear solid, little big planet and killzone 2 which will Carry sales in the early part of 2008 when xbox's exclusive lineup weakens. infact, i really can't think of many early 08 360 exclusives. i know you have huxley in Q2 and alan wak/too human floating around in TBA land. the only competition sony will have will be third party multi-platforms like GTA and fallout 3.

i wouldn't count out a sales jump yet, but it will most certainyl be alot more gradual then the gears of war spike due to halo hype and mass effect.

I really have to disagree with the Gears comment. Quality is subjective (me personally, thought it was the first game that made me really say wow on the 360), but there is so much more to being a "Gears-level" game. There's hype, there's insane marketing budgets, and a really strong word of mouth. So far, UT3 and Uncharted don't have those. Hype is no where near where Gears was, and UT3 has a segmented userbase between PS3 and PC, with a version confirmed for 360. And MS really pushed Gears because it was its most talked about "it" game for that season. Uncharted is part of steady stream of new IP from Sony with a good chance of being high-quality, but it's not being marketed as THE game for the PS3. 

As for next year, I think that MGS4 and Killzone 2 will certainly get more sales for the PS3 than it is now, but keep in mind that 2 to 2.5 years of software won't suddenly disappear for the 360, and unless PS3 has a Wii-level miracle jump, sales lost during Christmas season can almost NEVER be made up during the early part of the year. Another factor is that MS really concentrated on games that were coming out this year at E3 (well, games they THOUGHT were coming out this year, anyway), so I really feel we haven't seen half of what they have for 2008. Plus, I personally have strong doubts about how strong of a game Killzone 2 really is. It didn't exactly light the charts on fire in America, and it's quality was at best, slightly above average. Killzone 2 might turn out amazing, but I tend to believe that sequels are viewed through their predecessors and how they thought of that game.

JeffLee said:
Jonbob0008 said:

Uncharted looks pretty cool, so I give that a maybe. As for UT3, no. This is due to the fact that the game is multiplatform. It will also be on the 360.

I never mentioned what would happen after christmas so you maybe be right about the sale increases for thoses games. However, for this holiday, it unlikely that Uncharted will outsell Halo 3 no matter how good it is. Its got too strong a fan base and too much hype.

MGS4 is still a title I desperate want to play, but I can't because I'm too broke to own a PS3 .

Submit to the deliciousness of the MAD COW BEEF!

Around the Network
Jonbob0008 said:

I've been thinking the same thing. If this pattern holds up after the holiday season, I'd be really surprised. But then again, I was surprised to see it in the first place.

Good point about the apps. Are there no big PS3 game launches planned for the holidays?

Jonbob0008 said:

Uncharted looks pretty cool, so I give that a maybe. As for UT3, no. This is due to the fact that the game is multiplatform. It will also be on the 360.

I never mentioned what would happen after christmas so you maybe be right about the sale increases for thoses games. However, for this holiday, it unlikely that Uncharted will outsell Halo 3 no matter how good it is. Its got too strong a fan base and too much hype.

MGS4 is still a title I desperate want to play, but I can't because I'm too broke to own a PS3 .

Yes it is multiplatform, but not for the season that counts. ;) I'm doubtful that the majourity of the video game consumer base tracks timed exclusives beyond 'oh look it's on the ps3 shelf!' and 6 months later 'oh look, now it's on the 360 shelf too!'. unreal's built in fanbase will need a ps3 to play the game this holiday season.this time of the year tends to have the highets percentage of people willing to invest in a console and ps3 will be the only system that has ut3 on the shelf for this holiday season. instant gratification.

as for uncharted outselling halo, it wouldn't be possible even if it had a 100% attachment rate. halo 3 could sell on hype alone even if it was absolute garbage. there's a reason halo 3 is lonely in september, nobody wants to mess with it. :P

JeffLee said:
Jonbob0008 said:

Yes it is multiplatform, but not for the season that counts. ;) I'm doubtful that the majourity of the video game consumer base tracks timed exclusives beyond 'oh look it's on the ps3 shelf!' and 6 months later 'oh look, now it's on the 360 shelf too!'. unreal's built in fanbase will need a ps3 to play the game this holiday season.this time of the year tends to have the highets percentage of people willing to invest in a console and ps3 will be the only system that has ut3 on the shelf for this holiday season. instant gratification.

as for uncharted outselling halo, it wouldn't be possible even if it had a 100% attachment rate. halo 3 could sell on hype alone even if it was absolute garbage. there's a reason halo 3 is lonely in september, nobody wants to mess with it. :P

No, it's multiplatform even during holiday season. It's released on PC at the same time with PS3. Unless you mean console exclusive...

Untamoi said:
JeffLee said:
Jonbob0008 said:

No, it's multiplatform even during holiday season. It's released on PC at the same time with PS3. Unless you mean console exclusive...

I do.

Im sorry, but you are absolutely wrong about UT3.  Its fanbase is on the PC.  Not on the PS3.  While you mention that you think that its timed exclusivity will get people to buy the system, i don't understand how you can call spending at least $600 dollars an instant gratification or impulse buy.  It doesn't work that way.