By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN GIVES LAIR A 4.9

twesterm said:

I'm not your buddy!? Why do you got to be sippin' on some hatorade like that yo?

Well there you go, an answer for every game in your sig. What do you have for an answer for these games coming out this year:
Dewey's Adventure
Zach and Wiki
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Super Mario Galaxy
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Guilty Gear XX
My Sims
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Brothers in Arms: Double Time
NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams
Ninja Breadman (how can you not love this?)
Puzzle Quest
Naruto clash of the Ninja Revolution
Guitar Hero III with exlusive features
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Battalion Wars

No hate. There was a tongue.

Yes... you've answer my question but... let's say I'm not satisfied with your stuff (DragonBall?)... C'mon your list is too long... I don't want to think... it's pretty safe to say many of these games I can play on my PSP right now but I don't want to... seriously remove Puzzle Quest from this list - it's not as fun as it looks for first hour (only purchase I regret of all my psp games). How about Ratchet against Mario and Uncharted against everything else? Peace.

Around the Network
kber81 said:
twesterm said:

I'm not your buddy!? Why do you got to be sippin' on some hatorade like that yo?

Well there you go, an answer for every game in your sig. What do you have for an answer for these games coming out this year:
Dewey's Adventure
Zach and Wiki
Super Mario Galaxy
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Guilty Gear XX
My Sims
Puzzle Quest
Battalion Wars

Yes... you've answer my question but... let's say I'm not satisfied with your stuff (DragonBall?)... C'mon your list is too long... I don't want to think... it's pretty safe to say many of these games I can play on my PSP right now but I don't want to... seriously remove Puzzle Quest from this list - it's not as fun as it looks for first hour (only purchase I regret of all my psp games). How about Ratchet against Mario and Uncharted against everything else? Peace.

The worst Mario 3D platformer game has scored higher then the best Ratchet and Clank game.  So until they make a game ranked as well as at least Mario Sunshine I don't think it counts.

I don't know why some people want Lair to sell well if it is such a bad experience.

kber81 said:

twesterm said:

Dewey's Adventure
Zach and Wiki
Super Mario Galaxy
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Guilty Gear XX
My Sims
Puzzle Quest
Battalion Wars

I agree that DBZ was a bad choice.  It's not a Tekken level game (even though it was very fun).  However, for me anyway Tekken is fathoms below SSBB.  As far as Uncharted, sure I'll take that.  Hell, a month ago you would have said Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Uncharted against all of that.  Now Lair has scored very poorly, and Heavenly Sword has scored good but not great.  So do I expect Uncharted to be different? No.

Continuing the point, although the Wii doesn't have a matching game for every genre you have in your sig, they also have some great ones that the PS3 doesn't.  You could always also match RE4 with NGS (they are both remakes of old games, but RE4 Wii scored much better). 

So yeah, if you were arguing that the Wii is currently short in diversity of big games, then I agree with you.  I think the PS3 has the advantage there as long as we are waiting for a good Wii online FPS and a good Wii RPG.  If you are arguing overall strength of the lineup though, especially in light of Lair and HS reviews, then I would say no, the Wii has a large advantage over the PS3 currently thanks to Nintendo first party AAA titles and some decent AA 3rd party and Nintendo titles.

I mean, you have to realize that at this point it's unlikely that the PS3 will gain a single original 9.0+ reviewed title in 2007.  The highest rated game on the system is still Oblivion, a port of a 360 game that had been out for 4 months.  It's also the only game to break a 9 in reviews.  I think the PS3 has a decent future lineup with titles like MGS4, GT5, FFXIII, and GTAIV on their way in the next couple years, but it should never take a system more than a year on the market to get a single AAA game out.  For reference, in the PS2's first year in America, they realeased: GT3, GTAIII, and FFX.  There is a gigantic gap in the quality of early titles.  

In the first year on the Wii though, we have 3 first party games of likely 9.0+ quality (the big 3), numerous games in the very good (8) range, which would be around the level of Heavenly Sword and Warhawk, and a few 3rd party games with massive amounts of unique potential (Zack and Wiki, NiGHTS, RRR2, etc.).  I think the best hope now for the PS3 to have a game that breaks that big 9.0 barrier is Folklore (which looks really cool and unique).  Either way, I'm having trouble seeing anyway you can look at those two lineups and say the PS3 lineup is currently stronger.

1 - i HATE the quote system on this forum, major pain in the ass something seriously has to be doen about it. naznatips post is in bold

If you are arguing overall strength of the lineup though, especially in light of Lair and HS reviews, then I would say no, the Wii has a large advantage over the PS3 currently thanks to Nintendo first party AAA titles and some decent AA 3rd party and Nintendo titles.

LOL

HS is 82 on metacritic so in light of what ?, large adavantage why dont you show it with out using any ports for the wii since you make sound out as if Oblivion is not ok for the PS3.

I mean, you have to realize that at this point it's unlikely that the PS3 will gain a single original 9.0+ reviewed title in 2007. The highest rated game on the system is still Oblivion, a port of a 360 game that had been out for 4 months. It's also the only game to break a 9 in reviews.

Yahh um thers a thing called Uncharted, then there is also UR3 and Ratchet for a 9.0+ games this year.

It took Nintendo like 9/10 months on the easy to program wii to make a original +9 game for it, iam fine with it taking a few months longer on the PS3.

I think the PS3 has a decent future lineup with titles like MGS4, GT5, FFXIII, and GTAIV on their way in the next couple years, but it should never take a system more than a year on the market to get a single AAA game out. For reference, in the PS2's first year in America, they realeased: GT3, GTAIII, and FFX. There is a gigantic gap in the quality of early titles.

Decent ohh wow biggest franchises in gaming is only decent, what the hell is great by your standarts ???? And its not been 1 year year so since you like speculating on the future so much i will say Uncharted Rastchet and UR3 become the big 3 of PS3 that Gt3/GTA/FF were to the PS2.

In the first year on the Wii though, we have 3 first party games of likely 9.0+ quality (the big 3),

More speculation, who says they will be 9.0 right now you have Metroid and thats all. The other one is a GC port and you made it clear with your Oblivion comment that ports dont count.

numerous games in the very good (8) range, which would be around the level of Heavenly Sword and Warhawk, and a few 3rd party games with massive amounts of unique potential (Zack and Wiki, NiGHTS, RRR2, etc.). I think the best hope now for the PS3 to have a game that breaks that big 9.0 barrier is Folklore (which looks really cool and unique). Either way, I'm having trouble seeing anyway you can look at those two lineups and say the PS3 lineup is currently stronger.

I think your post is weak, numerious games well what are they ??? No mention of Uncharted yet you say Folklore seriously your just setting up the PS3 to fail with that. Why not forget SSM for wii ?

Other then the big 3 form NIn i see nothing for the wii, 3rd party have been a huge failure so i got little faith in them at thsi point.

Heres something cool.

Whats your opinion on it ?? its from Metacritic. - http://i2.tinypic.com/5xryjo3.jpg

Around the Network

Well a few things, first of all: Use gamerankings. They filter out the crap sites better than Metacritic. Yes, they are affiliated with each other, but I'd prefer to have some of the sites that have no right having their scores counted filtered out. Second, you can quote direct sections this way for future reference [*quote]*text*[*/quote] minus the "*s" of course. Now, back to the discussion.

HS is 82 on metacritic so in light of what ?, large adavantage why dont you show it with out using any ports for the wii since you make sound out as if Oblivion is not ok for the PS3.

There is nothing wrong with an 82 (it's an 83% on gamerankings btw), but an 83% is a good game, not a great game, not a GotY contender, and certainly not a system seller. Speaking of taking out ports, I asked you this a long time ago: Do you like sports games? You admitted that you would play them, but not buy them, and they aren't a major factor in your purchase of a console. Well if we take out sports games from both consoles (including Wii sports), this is the amount of titles on both systems ranked 7.5 or above (typcially 7.5 is considered the start of the "good" rating):

Wii: 12 games
PS3: 12 games

Note that I included Warhawk, Metroid Prime 3, and Heavenly Sword, even though they don't appear in primary rankings right now because they still have less than 20 reviews. I assume you will not complain about this because it only advantages the PS3's number of games.

Oh, and if you want to take out ports and remakes, the Wii loses Twilight Princess and RE4, while the PS3 loses Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma. The numbers become:

Wii: 10 games
PS3: 9 games.

My point is, if you want tons of sports games in your console, great, but if you don't (and the majority of core gamers don't) play sports games, then the PS3's amount of 7.5+ rated titles is inflated signifficantly. So, depending on what you are looking for, the PS3 is not necessarily better off than the Wii. If you look at the amount of games over 9 (including ports and remakes) the Wii has 3, and the PS3 as 1.

Yahh um thers a thing called Uncharted, then there is also UR3 and Ratchet for a 9.0+ games this year.

It took Nintendo like 9/10 months on the easy to program wii to make a original +9 game for it, iam fine with it taking a few months longer on the PS3.

I don't believe Uncharted will be a 9.0+ game... why? The last Naughty Dog game to break a 9 was Crash Team Racing on the PSone (that was an awesome game btw, I hope you played it), and most of the developers who made that game are gone. Ratchet I'll give you has a chance. Two of their games have managed to break a 9 (Up Your Arsenal and Going Commando). I'll give you UT3 as well. I think it has a good chance.

So if we add 2 more to the PS3, the amount of 9+ game by the end of 2007 will be 3. The amount of Wii games if you accept Super Mario Galaxy and SSBB (which you at least have to admit are MUCH more of a sure thing than any of your suspected 9s on the PS3) then the Wii will have 5 at the end of 2007. Again, I'm arguing for stronger lineup here.

And its not been 1 year year so since you like speculating on the future so much i will say Uncharted Rastchet and UR3 become the big 3 of PS3 that Gt3/GTA/FF were to the PS2.

Uh, I think the fact that you are comparing Ratchet, Unreal, and Uncharted to what were basically the 3 biggest games of last generation is basically ridiculous enough to speak for itself...

More speculation, who says they will be 9.0 right now you have Metroid and thats all. The other one is a GC port and you made it clear with your Oblivion comment that ports dont count.

Everything here is speculation. It's the future, neither of us can see into it. That's why we are discussing it here. You speculated that Uncharted, Ratchet, and UT3 are all 9+ games, but history says my speculation that Brawl and Galaxy are 9+ games is much more likely. If we are going to try and predict the future, we will have to at least try and use the past. What else is there?

I think your post is weak, numerious games well what are they ??? No mention of Uncharted yet you say Folklore seriously your just setting up the PS3 to fail with that. Why not forget SSM for wii ?

Other then the big 3 form NIn i see nothing for the wii, 3rd party have been a huge failure so i got little faith in them at thsi point.

Well I already went through and showed you that depending on what genres you are looking for the Wii's lineup is just as good. As far as other games with the potential to hit that "good" range, well we have: Zack and Wiki, RE:UC, NiGHTS, RRR2, Guitar Hero 3, BWii, Fire Emblem (I forgot, this counts as the Wii's good RPG. I'm going to take back what I said about the PS3 having a more diverse lineup, since most of it's top games are shooters and it's lacking ANY good RPGs), Backyard Football, DBZ:BT3, Dewey's Adventure, Nitrobike, Dragon Blade, Endless Ocean, Ghost Squad, Indy 500 Legends, Manhunt 2, Nitrobike, No More Heroes, Rockstar Table Tennis, Geometry Wars, Soul Calibur Legends, Trauma Center: New Blood, etc.

Those are just some of the 2007 Wii games that have a decent shot at high scores (that haven't been released yet). Obviously not all of them will, but you'll notice there is a good mix of genres, 1st and 2nd party, and a lot of variety with some games that have potential for quality. At least for 07 lineups, I think the Wii has the battle for the year pretty solidly won against the PS3 as far as strength of software lineup. In 2008? Well that is yet to be determined. We haven't seen much of what Nintendo is planning for 2008 (although Kirby, Pikmin, Mario Kart, Disaster, an RPG that's probably Golden Sun, and Animal Crossing so far seem to be on the way).

Btw, I think that's the longest post I have ever made lol. That thing is freaking huge in retrospect.

Nintendo does indeed have most of the AAA titles being out there. Still most of those tend to just get the episode treatement.

Like Wind Waker: its was a fresh approach for an old game. TT is still great, but it lacks a bit the extra toutch.
Like mario galaxy i expect that much reviews will state that unlike Mario 64, you have seen it all before.
I hope they get more games like Pikmin out there, not that those are memorable games but they were and new and fun. Just like Wii Sports, new simple not overdone and fun.
I hope nintendo gets out some original games again, m-maybe something like Donkey Kong Wii.

As for Lair i think that they should have done like Metroid. Try to finish the game, then just polish the controls and gameplay instead of getting more graphical effect on screen. I think the extreme graphics are becoming a extra reason to give games low scores because the industry tends to package bad games in a good looking shiny box just so it would sell. And reviews should indeed counter such things, just like they give lower scores to remakes.

Truly a horrid score... Ah well, I was never planning on getting it anyway, but it's sad that a PS3 game with such expectations gets shot down (trying to dodge the shot with the sixaxis apparently did'nt help...).

BenKenobi88 said:
No way. Rogue Squadron and Rogue Squadron 2 are masterpieces.

Rogue Squadron 3 was less so, but still good overall I suppose. It had the entire game of Rogue Squadron 2, except multiplayer, on the same disc, so...win.

But the ground missions in RS3 were crap, and I'd say the overall game started to get tedious. I could see the same happening for Lair...glad I wasn't going crazy.

I bet Factor 5 could get out of this and make a good game again...either something totally different or another space/fighter sim could be good...as long as they don't screw it up.

The games looked great... but gameplay was mostly to be desired...  I have both and honestly the level of dificulty is a bit much...  the missions are mostly all next to impossible to clear.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.