By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN GIVES LAIR A 4.9

BenKenobi88 said:
Lingyis said:
oh yeah, factor 5, not level 5.

level 5 is doing well! if it were a listed american company i would totally buy their stock.

Did you just accept that it is Factor 5, but then immediately say Level 5 again? Ok...just checking.

That doesn't look like it to me, isn't Level 5 a Japanese developer?

Around the Network

if they got every penny from the $60 it would take about $500,000 copies to break even. I know there are many other factors i'm missing though like retailers share. Maybe somebody can point this out.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Well Namco said they need to sell about 500k copies worldwide to make a profit from a ps3 game.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/namco-ps3-games-must-sell-500k-for-profit-218215.php

The article says ''Graphics for the high-definition games cost about 1 billion yen ($8.6 million) to create'' So Namco are probably talking about a game that costs around $13-15million in total (im just guessing at how costs are split so feel free to correct me if you know better). It has been said your average next gen game costs around $20million to make. Apparently stranglehold cost $30million. However SH is multiplatform and there are some big names so lets assume it is more expensive and say $25million is about right for the cost of Lair. If we assume it was $15million for the 500k to profit. Then you would need to ship around 830K to make a profit.

There is a lot of guess work there as im really not sure what type of game Namco are talking about. They just said a PS3 game. Can anyone find that article from capcom talking about how many copies of DMC4 they wanted to ship in order to profit? I think it would be reasonable to assume that lair was around a similar amount.

I think the game is going to do pretty badly sales wise though. Even when dragon riding games get amazing reviews they can't sell well. With horrible reviews I don't hold much hope.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Oh yeah, well I give Lair a 4.8. Beat that IGN! Ha, ha! By the way, why are you looking at IGN's score? It's just one opinion. Why not go to www.gamerankings.com, and look at the over all percentage, from many reviewers? It's smarter, because you get one score, from many opinions, which is much stronger, than just one score, from one opinion. By the way, I think Lair got around 59% in www.gamerakings.com, and I agree. It's just not very good. It takes like one second for your dragon to turn, after you turn your controller. Just skip it. Let it be forgotten. Warkhawk will success where Lair failed.

IllegalPaladin said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Lingyis said:
oh yeah, factor 5, not level 5.

level 5 is doing well! if it were a listed american company i would totally buy their stock.

Did you just accept that it is Factor 5, but then immediately say Level 5 again? Ok...just checking.

That doesn't look like it to me, isn't Level 5 a Japanese developer?

Yep. Level 5 are also doing very well. Sony need to secure some more of their titles for the PS3.

I am looking forward to Level 5's White Knight Story at TGS where it is said to be playable. Should be very interesting indeed.

Around the Network

I don't really know how Gamespot and IGN justified their reviews but how about this... could it be that there was SO MUCH hype coupled with SO MUCH arrogance from the developers and from Sony that in the end, it affected the reivew? I.e. "this simply cannot be done on the 360" and so on set expectations way too high and when the testers finally played it and it DIDN'T live up fully to the expectation of it being a high 9 title that they actually were angry and wrote their reviews rather hastily and with more harshness than they would have otherwise? It's the only thing I can figure given some of the comments I've read from these two (and a couple of other magazines)...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Oh yeah, well I give Lair a 4.8. Beat that IGN! Ha, ha! By the way, why are you looking at IGN's score? It's just one opinion. Why not go to www.gamerankings.com, and look at the over all percentage, from many reviewers? It's smarter, because you get one score, from many opinions, which is much stronger, than just one score, from one opinion. By the way, I think Lair got around 59% in www.gamerakings.com, and I agree. It's just not very good. It takes like one second for your dragon to turn, after you turn your controller. Just skip it. Let it be forgotten. Warkhawk will success where Lair failed.

because IGN is unbiased, most sites that rates games are. So gamerankings is quite off.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

leo-j said:
Im waiting for gametrailers, if they gave the game an 8.0 or higher, Im going to say ign is biased.

I must resurrect this thread, since a certain mod has decided to eliminate the other topic.

So is IGN biased now?

Gametrailers review: 6.0  gameplay: 4.5

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2657.html

FishyJoe said:
leo-j said:
Im waiting for gametrailers, if they gave the game an 8.0 or higher, Im going to say ign is biased.

I must resurrect this thread, since a certain mod has decided to eliminate the other topic.

So is IGN biased now?

Gametrailers review: 6.0  gameplay: 4.5

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2657.html

SDF gave Lair a 10/10 and called it as revolutionary as Super Mario 64

Gametrailers bias confirmed

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"