By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of Spores developers says "Wii is a piece of..."

Holy shit. what is today? Attack me? More personal attacks in the last 3 days from posters with under 10 posts than I've ever gotten... total. No. He is saying the Wii is not next gen. He is saying it is 2 game cubes duct taped together, with a new controller. The Wii is nothing new. Nothing special. The controller is. But you could use them on the GC. Next gen... is Next generation.

next ■ adjective coming immediately after the time of writing or speaking. ▶(of a day of the week) nearest (or the nearest but one) after the present. ▶(of an event) occurring directly after the present one in time. coming immediately after the present one in space, order, or rank. ■ adverb immediately afterwards. ▶following in the specified order. ■ noun the next person or thing. ■ preposition archaic next to.
generation ■ noun all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively. ▶the average period in which children grow up and have children of their own (usually reckoned as about thirty years). a set of members of a family regarded as a single step or stage in descent. ▶a group of people of similar age involved in a particular activity: a new generation of actors and directors. the action of producing or generating. ▶the propagation of living organisms; procreation. a single stage in the development of a product.
so you get
occurring directly after the present one in time. a single stage in the development of a product.
The Wii is NOT next gen. It is a enhanced Gamecube. So it is therefor by definition LAST gen. You can not play a next gen game on the Wii. I have always enjoyed immersion on games. I have always felt that is a very imporant part of a game. I play games like people read books. I like there to be a whole new world. A new story. Laws different from our word. But laws that are laws, that have to be obeyed. The Wii does not allow too much in terms of that. EDIT: I just wanna say, there are not many games that fall into this criteria. I doubt there will ever be. Some games might come to the Wii with good immersion. But it does not have enough power to make the people around you 'think' it does not have enough power for advanced AI.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: Holy shit. what is today? Attack me? More personal attacks in the last 3 days from posters with under 10 posts than I've ever gotten... total. No. He is saying the Wii is not next gen. He is saying it is 2 game cubes duct taped together, with a new controller. The Wii is nothing new. Nothing special. The controller is. But you could use them on the GC. Next gen... is Next generation. next ■ adjective coming immediately after the time of writing or speaking. ▶(of a day of the week) nearest (or the nearest but one) after the present. ▶(of an event) occurring directly after the present one in time. coming immediately after the present one in space, order, or rank. ■ adverb immediately afterwards. ▶following in the specified order. ■ noun the next person or thing. ■ preposition archaic next to. generation ■ noun all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively. ▶the average period in which children grow up and have children of their own (usually reckoned as about thirty years). a set of members of a family regarded as a single step or stage in descent. ▶a group of people of similar age involved in a particular activity: a new generation of actors and directors. the action of producing or generating. ▶the propagation of living organisms; procreation. a single stage in the development of a product. so you get occurring directly after the present one in time. a single stage in the development of a product. The Wii is NOT next gen. It is a enhanced Gamecube. So it is therefor by definition LAST gen. You can not play a next gen game on the Wii. I have always enjoyed immersion on games. I have always felt that is a very imporant part of a game. I play games like people read books. I like there to be a whole new world. A new story. Laws different from our word. But laws that are laws, that have to be obeyed. The Wii does not allow too much in terms of that.
Wait a sec... How does this relate to your "he knows what art is" argument? You didn't give up, did you?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said: Wait a sec... How does this relate to your "he knows what art is" argument? You didn't give up, did you?
LOL. If you think you know more than him about art. Why arent you on the GDC advisory board?

Kwaad said:LOL. If you think you know more than him about art. Why arent you on the GDC advisory board?
Going by you're reasoning, that is taking some art classes in college, then I at least know as much about art as he does. And what does being on a GDC advisory board have to do with art? Since you probably know more about this than me please explain this to me.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

PS4 said: Chris Hecker: "The Wii is a Piece of Sh*t!"
I think someone got beaten at Wii Bowling by their grandmother.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

sieanr said: mancandy said: Who the fuck is Chris Hecker and what the fuck does he know about art? I don't see sculptors saying to painters "You know, canvas sucks. You don't get a true 3D effect with paintings...you should try marble." Art is not defined by the medium. What a retard. Actually allot of artist look down on other mediums, and if I remember correctly Michelangelo thought sculpture was the best medium. But his argument wasn't with the medium. It's with Nintendo's stance towards games as art, in which case I think he forgets Nintendo makes software and their aim for that is fun. I doubt Nintendo is against any games on the Wii being called "art, hell they'd probably welcome those titles with open arms.
Is that why he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? Come on? Do you really think John went up to Ringo and said "lead guitarist always gets the chicks"? Okay....maybe he did. But did he say "drums suck, you can't play complicated chords on them"? No. It's music played through a different medium. I think Hecker critizied the Wii itself as a medium. That it is not adequate to deliver artsy games. What does processing power have to do with art?

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

I dont think he is saying bad about the Wii as a medium. I think he's going after nintendo's games.

stof said: I think someone got beaten at Wii Bowling by their grandmother.
Priceless!

Kwaad said: I dont think he is saying bad about the Wii as a medium. I think he's going after nintendo's games.
Please read the article. "The Wii is a piece of shit!" Hecker began his talk, which was called "Fear of a Wii Planet."

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

AI is a *tiny* fraction of the processing requirements of any game (that isn't a chess sim). AI, unlike graphics, doesn't naturally improve with time as the hardware gets faster, and improvements generally aren't/can't be built on top of one another... That is to say, AI in every game is a one-off hand-coded job - essentially the wheel is being re-invented in every game you play - and no game has AI remotely ambitious enough to strain any contemporary system: the bottleneck is with the code not the machine. Moreover, AI processing by its nature calls for *HIGHLY* branching code logic, which is exactly what the PS3 and 360 are deficient at by design. I strongly suspect this guy in his position has nothing to do with programming AI.