By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of Spores developers says "Wii is a piece of..."

I really hope Hecker gets the "complicated AI" worked out on his rock climbing game. I think its really going to push PS3 to have all the complex physics of having someone...um...climb...rocks.....and stuff.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network

I'm just saying. If you think the DS version will be the same as the PC version your wrong. the PSP and DS version might be similar tho. The 360/PS3 would likely get the same as the PC. The Wii might/might not get a version, becuase I dont know if it has enough CPU power to run the 'full' game. They might have to remake large portions of the game for that. My point is. PC/360/PS3 are very likely to get near identical versions. (someday) DS, PSP. are likely to get near identical versions. (just pushing alot more power on the PSP) The Cell phone version is likely a version on it's own, because well. The cell phone games I'm familar with typically suck, and are under 25,000$ budget. The Wii dosent fall into any of those power groups. If there is a PS2 version, I'm sure the Wii will get that one tho.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

mancandy said: Who the fuck is Chris Hecker and what the fuck does he know about art? I don't see sculptors saying to painters "You know, canvas sucks. You don't get a true 3D effect with paintings...you should try marble." Art is not defined by the medium. What a retard.
Actually allot of artist look down on other mediums, and if I remember correctly Michelangelo thought sculpture was the best medium. But his argument wasn't with the medium. It's with Nintendo's stance towards games as art, in which case I think he forgets Nintendo makes software and their aim for that is fun. I doubt Nintendo is against any games on the Wii being called "art, hell they'd probably welcome those titles with open arms.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

For those of you who say he is a idiot on art...

Hecker was a student at Parsons in New York City, studying the fine arts towards work as an illustrator. An article in Byte Magazine sold him on programming and he dropped out of school to begin work on graphics and games.
Sounds like he knows what art is.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: For those of you who say he is a idiot on art... Hecker was a student at Parsons in New York City, studying the fine arts towards work as an illustrator. An article in Byte Magazine sold him on programming and he dropped out of school to begin work on graphics and games. Sounds like he knows what art is.
He was assaulting Nintendo's stance towards making artistic games on the Wii, and I think he's misinterpreted their intent. Did you even read the original article?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

Kwaad said: I'm just saying. If you think the DS version will be the same as the PC version your wrong. the PSP and DS version might be similar tho. The 360/PS3 would likely get the same as the PC. The Wii might/might not get a version, becuase I dont know if it has enough CPU power to run the 'full' game. They might have to remake large portions of the game for that. My point is. PC/360/PS3 are very likely to get near identical versions. (someday) DS, PSP. are likely to get near identical versions. (just pushing alot more power on the PSP) The Cell phone version is likely a version on it's own, because well. The cell phone games I'm familar with typically suck, and are under 25,000$ budget. The Wii dosent fall into any of those power groups. If there is a PS2 version, I'm sure the Wii will get that one tho.
But that isn't the reason people have problems with his quote ... He (essentially) says that any game that is not on the cutting edge of AI/Graphics can have no merit ... Personally, I still see games like Final Fantasy 3 (6 Japan) as being the best game in the series (with the best storyline) even though it was released on the SNES. As I said before, if you can't produce an artistic game on the PS2 or on the Wii you're just a bad developer ...

It doesn't seem like Kwaad reads any of the articles, not even his own. Even his own posts contradict himself.

Kwaad said: For those of you who say he is a idiot on art... Hecker was a student at Parsons in New York City, studying the fine arts towards work as an illustrator. An article in Byte Magazine sold him on programming and he dropped out of school to begin work on graphics and games. Sounds like he knows what art is.
So if I was an art college drop out I could go around lecturing working artists on how to create art? Until he has completed something of artistic merit he shouldn't be lecturing anyone ...

Than maybe he should get off he high horse and realize who he's talking about. I don't see many publishers putting as much love into their games as Nintendo does.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

HappySqurriel said: Kwaad said: For those of you who say he is a idiot on art... Hecker was a student at Parsons in New York City, studying the fine arts towards work as an illustrator. An article in Byte Magazine sold him on programming and he dropped out of school to begin work on graphics and games. Sounds like he knows what art is. So if I was an art college drop out I could go around lecturing working artists on how to create art? Until he has completed something of artistic merit he shouldn't be lecturing anyone ...
And he was going to work as an illustrator.... Very few illustrators have ever been considered artists. Did you get that Kwaad? Illustrator =/= Artist Just because you can draw doesn't mean you're an artist Regardless, no one called into question his ability to recognize art, only his ability to produce it. And he never claimed artistic game couldn't be made on the Wii, just that Nintendo's attitude towards games as art isn't what he'd like to see.