By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of Spores developers says "Wii is a piece of..."

stewacide said: EA's release a lot of quality Wii titles: Madden and Blur are some of the best thought-out control implimentations, Wii Sims and Tiger Woods will be *huge* sellers, the Godfather and MoH ports looks promising. Ubisoft on Wii has been very over-rated IMHO: Rayman and Red Steel were very smart launch games and have done big numbers, but most everything else is lazy shovelware (EA seems to have a much better handle on how to Wii-ify a title) The big cross-platform studios have a leg-up on Wii because they're familiar with the GC architecture where a lot of smaller houses that have been very Sony-focused are starting from square one.
If you consider a port quality... erm... yeah. But then agian, I guess you might as well say ports are the best games on the Wii as well... Zelda, Madden... ssx... all are basically ports... Basically the good Wii games... are ports... I never thought of that...

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

stewacide said: EA's release a lot of quality Wii titles: Madden and Blur are some of the best thought-out control implimentations, Wii Sims and Tiger Woods will be *huge* sellers, the Godfather and MoH ports looks promising. Ubisoft on Wii has been very over-rated IMHO: Rayman and Red Steel were very smart launch games and have done big numbers, but most everything else is lazy shovelware (EA seems to have a much better handle on how to Wii-ify a title) The big cross-platform studios have a leg-up on Wii because they're familiar with the GC architecture where a lot of smaller houses that have been very Sony-focused are starting from square one.
When I see Ubisoft releasing a game I always wait for reviews ... They've done pretty well with Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Rayman, and Prince of Persia but most of their games (XIII, Red Steel) are pretty average.

Kwaad said: If you consider a port quality... erm... yeah. But then agian, I guess you might as well say ports are the best games on the Wii as well... Zelda, Madden... ssx... all are basically ports... Basically the good Wii games... are ports... I never thought of that...
(Watch this. See you meant that as (yet another) thinly veiled troll, but I'm going to turn it around on you.) Kinda makes you wish the PS3 could get some ports, doesn't it? Maybe then it would have sold more than half of what the Wii has.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Sintinel said: Kwaad said: If you consider a port quality... erm... yeah. But then agian, I guess you might as well say ports are the best games on the Wii as well... Zelda, Madden... ssx... all are basically ports... Basically the good Wii games... are ports... I never thought of that... (Watch this. See you meant that as (yet another) thinly veiled troll, but I'm going to turn it around on you.) Kinda makes you wish the PS3 could get some ports, doesn't it? Maybe then it would have sold more than half of what the Wii has.
I didnt mean for that to be a troll. I serious never thought every good game on the Wii was a port. (think about it. seriously... that's creepy. Everything but Wii Sports/Play) But yeah, PS3 would be nice to get some multi-platform lovin'. Kind like it is getting starting last week.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I wish we could give kudos or some sort of brownie points to people - Stormprophet earned about 500 with his post. EA's finances are half what they were. Why? GENERATIONAL CHANGE. It happens every 5 years. Profits go down for most/all companies, then they go back to a normal amount. EA IS taking risks by going multi-plat, as they are alienating whatever their userbase is for a given system when they throw it multi-plat. EA is also taking risks by buying smaller publishers left and right...Not that I agree with that. The Wii is pushing innovation with controls. The PS3/360 are pushing games by making the games smarter and more realilistic. Some can complain that graphics don't add to immersion. The most immersed I've ever been in a game is Gears of War on Co-OP. That'd never happen on Wii. The Wii has it's own innovations - you can't take away from it. However, to say that it's the only one innovating is very asinine. Aside from graphics, there have been huge differences in gaming from the PS1 to PS3 and 360. Enemies are alot more "real" - they think much better. There are more activities going on in every game. 20 years ago, an average RPG like Final Fantasy might take 20-30 hours to beat. Oblivion takes that same amount of time for one quest line. People actually TALK, LISTEN and READ adding in immersion. We deal with far more realilistic people in gaming due to computational improvements. Some things like Radiant AI, Havok Physics and such can't entirely be utilized on Wii and older consoles because of the power needed to actually use them. To me, walking through a photo-realilistic town, seeing NPCs talk to each other, work, play, read, and have random encounters not scripted as much as other games is a huge boon to what I feel a game needs to have. Example: Morrowind vs. Oblivion (a generational difference). Aside from graphics and the obvious gameplay differences, we have 50+hrs of actual spoken dialogue. We have radiant AI which makes people work according to real-life patterns. It has weather paterns. I don't walk around the entire game in just springtime. I can be in the middle of an area, and have a storm start up randomly and see trees start being blown in the wind, and the game "feels" different. I can goto nighttime, and see a torch light 500ft off in the distance. I can hear the sounds of the world around me, and interacting with me. In Morrowind I had none of that. Those changes weren't entirely based off a controller, or just entirely more development time - much of it could only be done with extra DVD space, CPU power, and GPU power. Yes, the Wii offers its own innovations to gameplay, but I'd rather play a game with a clunky controller actually interacting with people that look, talk, act and seem real versus a game with merely a "realilistic" control option. Both would be best, but for now, I'll take my gigaflops on gigaflops. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy games that are old and 8-16bit, but I also understand and enjoy progress in gaming, even if it's a bigger CPU. Also, in rebuttal to Stormprophet about one thing - I disagree a PS2 sale means a PS3 sale. A SNES sale didn't make a N64 didn't make a GC sale, we all know that. Same goes for Genesis/Saturn/DC. You'll always have a hardcore fanbase that grows with a platform and it's longevity. However, the vast majority of gamers really aren't going to care if your platforms name starts with an W, X, or S. Ironically, all 3 of those are in a direct line on a QWERTY keyboard. Also, to look at reviews of games - which system, of the 3 has the highest % ranking(s) for their systems that were actually made for the systems? Answer: 360. Next answer: PS3 Last answer: Wii Maybe sooner or later the people will see the poor review scores and wise up. Personally, I hate the idea of always having to use that stupid Wii controller for everything, if thats the way gaming go. Im sure its a nice great thing, but I couldn't stand it for 100% of every game I would play in life. Joysticks aren't for every game, but are fantastic for flight sims. Mouses are great for RPGs and Simulation gaming and RTS'es, Keyboards are great for FPS's, controllers are great for platform and action games, Wiimotes will be great for sports and other games requiring that sort of input. However, it's asinine to assume that it'll be the only thing left after the dust settles.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Kwaad said: FACT: I hate EA.
FACT: EA doesn't care FACT: EA intially supported Saturn allot more than PSX

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

FACT: EA also heavily supported Sega. They gave it 2 of the best RPGs of the time that weren't from Square or Enix (Might & Magic 2 and the best, Kings Bounty. Amazing Western SRPG)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.