By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of Spores developers says "Wii is a piece of..."

HappySqurriel said: GDC is a very minor event (for game releases) and I only included it because it would make your task of finding 10 major titles impossible ... So what is the name of the ICO teams project? If it doesn't have a name, it can't be counted as a game
Uhuh, do you know how many games are out there that have the name "project" in it. Good lord. Developers do that all the time. For instance "The Naughty Dog" Project for PS3, or "Heavy Rain" (working title), Rockstar Old West PS3 Project [untitled], Spark Unlimited Atari Project [untitled], LucasArts / Day 1 Action Project [untitled], Silicon Knights Next-Gen Project [untitled], Factor 5 Project #2 [untitled] (Factor 5 is making Lair, a highly anticipated PS3 game, but are also working on this) Are you kidding me? Xbox, Nintendo, PS3 they all have lists just like this where studios have announced they are making games but either 1, have not come up with a name yet, or 2 they have a name but the game could always take another direction so they rename it. Assassins Creed for instance, has been in development since E3 05, back then it was called Project Assassin, they changed the name last year to Assassins Creed. It doesn't count as a game? What, were they not working on it all this time cause it had the name "project" in it? LMAO...seriously please.

Around the Network

Stromprophet said: r2007 said: And 99% wii users don't want ports of that games. they want NEW games made specifically for the wii of the same kind... and they will show up. The Wii Game will always have something to offer other than "massive" or "graphics intensive". Look at Maxis approach on Sims. They make a specific game for the Wii, not a port. And i feel that is going to make it successful. Uhuh. Why don't you see how many Wii users have another system and not just their Wii. A lot of families own Wiis, that is true. And parents play Wii with their kids, also true. I doubt 99% don't want ports of those games. People always want games that are the most popular, GTA, Halo, GT for instance are some of the best sellers of the current generations and always drive consumers to want them. And for instance the PS2 sold over 100 million consoles and some of those gamers now have a Wii, you don't think they are likely to want perhaps GTA? or GT? A lot of American PS2 owners also owned Xboxs, in which case they probably like FPS games, you don't think they might want to see those on the Wii? If you look at the top 50 from last month Wii only had 5 on that list. PS3 had 4 despite having way less consoles out. That tells me the Wii does not have high attach rates. You have to distinguish between what you see as only a graphics difference. Replay factor is very important to almost anybody playing video games. They don't want a game where the same things happen over and over and play out the same. That is precisely why larger environments are needed, deeper interactivty with AI, and more realistic physics. They provide those things.
You answered it yourself. Wii users that want that kind of graphics intensive games end up buying also a 360 or a ps3. And they wish that kind of games on the Wii but not ports. Yes, a GTA Wii-alike will be nice, like No More Heroes seems to be. And RPGS/FPS too, and most of them are waiting for Metroid or Resident Evil. Others will show up, but with a twist for the Wii... Direct ports of realistic physics obviously will fail in comparison with the other consoles.

Stromprophet said: Uhuh, do you know how many games are out there that have the name "project" in it. Good lord. Developers do that all the time. For instance "The Naughty Dog" Project for PS3, or "Heavy Rain" (working title), Rockstar Old West PS3 Project [untitled], Spark Unlimited Atari Project [untitled], LucasArts / Day 1 Action Project [untitled], Silicon Knights Next-Gen Project [untitled], Factor 5 Project #2 [untitled] (Factor 5 is making Lair, a highly anticipated PS3 game, but are also working on this) Are you kidding me? Xbox, Nintendo, PS3 they all have lists just like this where studios have announced they are making games but either 1, have not come up with a name yet, or 2 they have a name but the game could always take another direction so they rename it. Assassins Creed for instance, has been in development since E3 05, back then it was called Project Assassin, they changed the name last year to Assassins Creed. It doesn't count as a game? What, were they not working on it all this time cause it had the name "project" in it? LMAO...seriously please.
I didn't see in your list EA untitled game 1 for wii EA untitled game 2 for wii EA untitled game 3 for wii EA untitled game 4 for wii EA untitled game 5 for wii EA untitled game 6 for wii EA untitled game 7 for wii EA untitled game 8 for wii EA untitled game 9 for wii EA untitled game 10 for wii EA untitled game 11 for wii EA untitled game 12 for wii EA untitled game 13 for wii EA untitled game 14 for wii EA untitled game 15 for wii Because they did announce that they currently are working on 15 wii games ... The fact is, until it has a name and a release date it is meaningless ... Currently the Zelda team is working on a new project, should that be included in the Wii's release list? EAD Project after Zelda

HappySqurriel said: I didn't see in your list EA untitled game 1 for wii EA untitled game 2 for wii EA untitled game 3 for wii EA untitled game 4 for wii EA untitled game 5 for wii EA untitled game 6 for wii EA untitled game 7 for wii EA untitled game 8 for wii EA untitled game 9 for wii EA untitled game 10 for wii EA untitled game 11 for wii EA untitled game 12 for wii EA untitled game 13 for wii EA untitled game 14 for wii EA untitled game 15 for wii Because they did announce that they currently are working on 15 wii games ... The fact is, until it has a name and a release date it is meaningless ... Currently the Zelda team is working on a new project, should that be included in the Wii's release list? EAD Project after Zelda
It's not my list, talk to IGN, they keep the best lists of coming games IMO. Even releasing a date doesn't mean anything. Those always can be pushed back, around, or even cancelled all together. Konami cancelled a lot of games they were working on. And knowing how crappy EA is as a studio I wouldn't expect great things. They are only interested in getting paid. And since they're dominant in Madden and all things sports, they can afford to be extremely sloppy. Ask anyone who seriously looks into their games. Which is why I'm glad some games like MLB the Show are coming out from Sony, EA at least needs some competition to keep them honest. Yeah. I would list the zelda teams project. Because you know it's likely to eventually come out and not be cancelled. The thing is, a lot of the titles I mentioned have names, they simply use the word project along with it, or have been in development for a while. You can go and actually see work they've done. Just because it says project doesn't mean it's not being worked on and intended to be released. As I recall EA said they had an entire Wii team, I didn't hear an exact number of titles they claimed to be working on.

r2007 said: You answered it yourself. Wii users that want that kind of graphics intensive games end up buying also a 360 or a ps3. And they wish that kind of games on the Wii but not ports. Yes, a GTA Wii-alike will be nice, like No More Heroes seems to be. And RPGS/FPS too, and most of them are waiting for Metroid or Resident Evil. Others will show up, but with a twist for the Wii... Direct ports of realistic physics obviously will fail in comparison with the other consoles.
What Resident Evil? Wii is not getting RE5 according to any of the upcoming release lists. To me, Wii is competing for a completely different market. Ages 4-12 and Parents 30-50. I've played Wii and sure the novelty of the motion control is great, it gives you a good work out and makes the game more interactive. But PS3 has motion control too, just without depth control, which IMO is not that important. The why I have trouble understanding Wiis long term objective, I don't see them as competitive in the sweet spot which is males ages 13-29. Honestly, no hard drive? No DVD playback? Limited downloadable content? Looking at the 360 I think even their machine will have a hard time staying up to date with 3 pretty descent tri-cores. Considering quad-cores are coming to PC this year, along with DirectX10 and Vista PC games will be seeing a resurgence this next year and consoles will have to remain competitive. I repeat my statement that power is important in gaming not just for graphics but for a more immersive gaming experience. Advanced calculations are where the future is when it comes to the ultimate goal of gaming which is VR. IMO Nintendo is setting itself to be an arcade style game maker in the future. I see them going completely hand held and portable. Which isn't a bad place to be. As the prices of the competitors come down Wii is going to look less attractive in some terms. Simply because they won't be able to lower the prices as much as 360 and PS3 will. 360 could do a price cut this spring and be cheaper than the Wii immediately. To me, it's about pushing the boundaries of the technology, which Wii is not doing. What I see is Nintendo regressing and being content to not push new technology. Motion is not new, Sony was exploring that before they even launched the PS2. To me that's what it's about, going into what's next and pushing. I just don't see Wii doing that or providing games that push the limits of realistic environments, physics, graphics, that "in the game" interactivity. Tell me what MMORPG you see coming to the Wii? Games like WoW, and Star Wars Galaxy have shown that MMORPG is a place to push limits, and social gaming. But for those games it is very likely you need a hard drive and a good online network to enjoy them. Or a developer that provides servers and good service. Wiis online service is 3rd IMO. XBL is of course number 1, but the Sony Home looks to be very intriguing and could rival XBL. If you want to forever live with old technology that's your business. But I don't see Nintendo pushing anything new or more creative. I thought they did a better job with Gamecube. Games like Rogue Squadron, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness. They were not only better graphically than the other systems, but the gameplay was superb, and they pushed the boundaries of the technology in terms of physics and AI control.

Around the Network

What Resident Evil? Wii is not getting RE5 according to any of the upcoming release lists.
The Wii is getting Resident Evil : Umbrella Chronicles, a different Resident Evil game, already confirmed by Capcom.
To me, Wii is competing for a completely different market. Ages 4-12 and Parents 30-50. I've played Wii and sure the novelty of the motion control is great, it gives you a good work out and makes the game more interactive. But PS3 has motion control too, just without depth control, which IMO is not that important. The why I have trouble understanding Wiis long term objective, I don't see them as competitive in the sweet spot which is males ages 13-29.
You're right, for a fair share of the 13-29 male market, the Wii isn't the main system, but still a good second system to have. It will never appeal to everyone, no console ever has. But guess what? Both 360 and PS3 are both aiming at the "dedicated gamer" and nothing else at this point. At this point, the Wii is the only one of the 3 consoles that offers more to a wider audience, and not focusing on "deditcated gamers".
Honestly, no hard drive? No DVD playback? Limited downloadable content?
At almost half the price of a non-crippled 360, less than half the price of the main PS3? It's a gaming console with some "cool extras", not a massive all-in-1 multimedia center that's trying to take over your living room.
I repeat my statement that power is important in gaming not just for graphics but for a more immersive gaming experience. Advanced calculations are where the future is when it comes to the ultimate goal of gaming which is VR.
You're right, it is important. But if you push too far too quickly, you'll have to pay a heavy price, and my wallet, along with many many other people, are unwilling to pay for the "speed boost" towards VR. And a half-assed controller-addon that lost rumble is NOT a step forward.
Wiis online service is 3rd IMO. XBL is of course number 1, but the Sony Home looks to be very intriguing and could rival XBL.
Is it so wrong to have a SINGLE console that doesn't try to do everything online? Cripes, I'm among the 1/3 of AMERICANS that CANNOT get broadband. Does everyone wanna leave us out in the cold? Jeez-Louise....
If you want to forever live with old technology that's your business. But I don't see Nintendo pushing anything new or more creative. I thought they did a better job with Gamecube. Games like Rogue Squadron, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness. They were not only better graphically than the other systems, but the gameplay was superb, and they pushed the boundaries of the technology in terms of physics and AI control.
And it sure didn't get them very far, did it? Maybe it's because I'm a PC gamer as well, but I've heard so much about "better physics and AI" for so many years it's sickening, for at least a decade, methinks.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Erik Aston said: Saying PS3 and 360 are helping "art" but Wii is not is like saying Classical music is "art", but Rock'n'Roll is not, or that "Pulp Fiction" is art, but "Shrek" is not.
Thank you very much for this example.

Now Loading... Please Wait!

Heckler just retracted his "I think the Wii is a piece of shit" statement. I don't know who has read the internet, yesterday. In a [unintelligible] panel I said a bunch of things. I was trying to be thought provoking and entertaining and fun and a lot of the stuff went too far over the top—on the entertaining and fun side, so that it was no longer thought provoking, just inflammatory. And in the process I hurt a bunch of people I care about. And so, I want to apologize now. When I'm on stage, I'm me. I'm talking talk from me. From me. I'm not representing EA or Maxis. I want to make two things perfectly clear. I do not think the Wii is a piece of shit. Nintendo needs to be applauded for trying to interface on the controller front, the user interface front, on making games accessible, on making a console that you don't need to mortgage your house to afford. Secondly, it's totally obvious—and I'm sorry that I implied otherwise—that everyone at Nintendo is passionate at making great games. Some of the games give me hope that we will be seen as an art form on par with movies and books. http://kotaku.com/gaming/wii/spore-developer-chris-hecker-apologizes-for-calling-the-wii-a-piece-of-shit-242822.php

zukaus said: Heckler just retracted his "I think the Wii is a piece of shit" statement. I don't know who has read the internet, yesterday. In a [unintelligible] panel I said a bunch of things. I was trying to be thought provoking and entertaining and fun and a lot of the stuff went too far over the top—on the entertaining and fun side, so that it was no longer thought provoking, just inflammatory. And in the process I hurt a bunch of people I care about. And so, I want to apologize now. When I'm on stage, I'm me. I'm talking talk from me. From me. I'm not representing EA or Maxis. I want to make two things perfectly clear. I do not think the Wii is a piece of shit. Nintendo needs to be applauded for trying to interface on the controller front, the user interface front, on making games accessible, on making a console that you don't need to mortgage your house to afford. Secondly, it's totally obvious—and I'm sorry that I implied otherwise—that everyone at Nintendo is passionate at making great games. Some of the games give me hope that we will be seen as an art form on par with movies and books. http://kotaku.com/gaming/wii/spore-developer-chris-hecker-apologizes-for-calling-the-wii-a-piece-of-shit-242822.php
Looks like someone's email address (as well as the email address of everyone at EA and Maxis) got 100,000 emails yesterday ...

What a pussy. If you're gonna say something like that, at least be prepared to stand behind it when the shit hits the fan.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless