By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of Spores developers says "Wii is a piece of..."

stewacide said: AI is a *tiny* fraction of the processing requirements of any game (that isn't a chess sim). AI, unlike graphics, doesn't naturally improve with time as the hardware gets faster, and improvements generally aren't/can't be built on top of one another... That is to say, AI in every game is a one-off hand-coded job - essentially the wheel is being re-invented in every game you play - and no game has AI remotely ambitious enough to strain any contemporary system: the bottleneck is with the code not the machine. Moreover, AI processing by its nature calls for *HIGHLY* branching code logic, which is exactly what the PS3 and 360 are deficient at by design. I strongly suspect this guy in his position has nothing to do with programming AI.
Wow. AI hasnt changed over the last 10 years. Back on Q1 The monsters just came straight at you shooting. In new games like Killzone for the PSP, they find the nearest cover, figure out where you are, and find a place they can shoot you... without getting shot. That's been around for a few years on the way it's done. But this is a handheld. Not a home console. An example of the AI on the home console is like. Heavenly Sword. Where there are 500 people on the screen EACH doing something diffrent. THAT is AI hell if you ask me. Also games like SPORE wich use an AI to animate the creatures is a doozey. That takes an amazing ammount of power. Games like Supreme Commander in beta, when you had more than 3000 units in the game, most controlled by a computer AI, telling them each, what is the best idea for each of them to be doing, with a seprate AI pathing them where to go. AI has changed ALOT over the years.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: Holy shit. what is today? Attack me? More personal attacks in the last 3 days from posters with under 10 posts than I've ever gotten... total.
It's not a personal attack from me Kwaad, it's just an observation on the things you have posted. Just in this thread alone you have contradicted yourself twice with links to articles I do not think you even read before you posted. First you say Euclid is wrong in pointing out that Chris Heckler has never worked on a single game that has shipped by posting a Wikipedia article which clearly states exactly what Euclid was pointing out.
euclid said: Good point. I would also like to point out that Chris Hecker has never worked on a game that has actually shipped out to consumers (spore will be his first one).
kwaad said: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hecker Wow. How wrong are you.
Second you point to a gametrailers.com link saying it is Spore footage from the DS when it is clearly an old video from the PC version of Spore shown at last years E3.
Kwaad said: Yup. Here is a link to in-game spore on the DS. http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10895&type=mov&pl=game
Lastly this is my own opinion but total post count is a very poor way to judge the quality of someone's posts.

What's wrong with "fun" games I ask? He says Nintendo doesn't take art seriously...well their first party games sure seem to have a great style if you ask me. Zelda, Metroid, heck even Mario Galaxy look like a lot of work was put into design and style. And even if Nintendo just wants to make "fun" games, there's still plenty of upcoming third party developers that bring plenty to the table...No More Heroes, Disaster, etc. I understand what he's talking about...but I disagree. Plus, he based half his argument on the fact that Nintendo's website doesn't mention art specifically, which is a kind of bogus way to judge the company's goals. And sharing quotes from executives is kind of unfair too...if a Nintendo executive was asked if art style was important to their games, he would certainly agree.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

mancandy said:Is that why he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? Come on? Do you really think John went up to Ringo and said "lead guitarist always gets the chicks"? Okay....maybe he did. But did he say "drums suck, you can't play complicated chords on them"? No. It's music played through a different medium. I think Hecker critizied the Wii itself as a medium. That it is not adequate to deliver artsy games. What does processing power have to do with art?
I never said he hated painting, just that he thought sculpture to be a superior medium. Many, many artist have held the same viewpoint, that is one medium is inherently better and another is inherently restricted and inferior. When film first appeared most people thought it would never be art since it couldn't match literature or painting. When camera's were first developed many painters were intrigued by them, but not many people thought photography could be an art form. He just has a lack of foresight and an inability to think outside the box. If he was a truly accomplished at game development then the console shouldn't matter, but extra power can't hurt.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Kwaad said: Ummm dude. Spore is *the* most anticipated game of 2007.
I seriously doubt it's any where near the top 10. People in the industyr may love it, but they also loved stuff like Okami. The game doesn't have much mass market appeal, at least in my opinion. In regard to his comments, who cares? People in the industry are more critical then the gamers because they deal with these systems. Remember Carmack the other week ripping Sony apart because of it's developer tools? Again it's just one man's opinion. Even if he is respected. Secondly he obviously is not in the hardware business, as he simply expects Nintendo to jump on the graphics train with Sony and Microsoft and take a billion dollar loss. Anyone who's taken a business course knows the rules of business, there has to be two products on the market, the high end product, that's expensive but bought because of it's added value, and the cheap product that's bought because of it's price. Nintendo added to the mix a creative twist with motion controls, but ultimatly they can only survive in this industry by being the cheap gaming solution.

Around the Network

BenKenobi88 said:I understand what he's talking about...but I disagree. Plus, he based half his argument on the fact that Nintendo's website doesn't mention art specifically, which is a kind of bogus way to judge the company's goals. And sharing quotes from executives is kind of unfair too...if a Nintendo executive was asked if art style was important to their games, he would certainly agree.
It wasn't even Nintendo's website but wii.com BTW, I don't think any of the big 3 care about art further than their pocketbook

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

This guy is a fool. "Art-form" has nothing to do with power... if the Wii isn't powerful enough, then there has NEVER been a piece of art created on the GB, GBA, N64, PSX, PS2, DC, NES, SNES , DS, PSP (etc..). And Nintendo's games? The most popular games/series ever created, with the biggest hits ever? Whatever...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said: stewacide said: AI is a *tiny* fraction of the processing requirements of any game (that isn't a chess sim). AI, unlike graphics, doesn't naturally improve with time as the hardware gets faster, and improvements generally aren't/can't be built on top of one another... That is to say, AI in every game is a one-off hand-coded job - essentially the wheel is being re-invented in every game you play - and no game has AI remotely ambitious enough to strain any contemporary system: the bottleneck is with the code not the machine. Moreover, AI processing by its nature calls for *HIGHLY* branching code logic, which is exactly what the PS3 and 360 are deficient at by design. I strongly suspect this guy in his position has nothing to do with programming AI. Wow. AI hasnt changed over the last 10 years. Back on Q1 The monsters just came straight at you shooting. In new games like Killzone for the PSP, they find the nearest cover, figure out where you are, and find a place they can shoot you... without getting shot. That's been around for a few years on the way it's done. But this is a handheld. Not a home console. An example of the AI on the home console is like. Heavenly Sword. Where there are 500 people on the screen EACH doing something diffrent. THAT is AI hell if you ask me. Also games like SPORE wich use an AI to animate the creatures is a doozey. That takes an amazing ammount of power. Games like Supreme Commander in beta, when you had more than 3000 units in the game, most controlled by a computer AI, telling them each, what is the best idea for each of them to be doing, with a seprate AI pathing them where to go. AI has changed ALOT over the years.
You're only right in the sense that AI has been 'scaled up' to increase the number of CPU-controls 'bots', although that's mostly/totally because the graphics hardware now allows for it (there were RTS games +10 years ago with hundreds of individually-'thinking' cpu characters that run just fine on hardware a small fraction as powerful as the Wii). AI is only as good as the programmers involved, hence why lots of games launch today with cutting-edge graphics but AI no smarter than +10 years ago on the PS1. Conversely I'm sure I could find tactical shooters from years ago with AI just as smart as the best today. AI is the *serious* laggard in game design, because nobody has figured out a technique for having improvements compound (as they have with graphics in a major way, and physics to some extent).

fooflexible said: Kwaad said: Ummm dude. Spore is *the* most anticipated game of 2007. I seriously doubt it's any where near the top 10. People in the industyr may love it, but they also loved stuff like Okami. The game doesn't have much mass market appeal, at least in my opinion. In regard to his comments, who cares? People in the industry are more critical then the gamers because they deal with these systems. Remember Carmack the other week ripping Sony apart because of it's developer tools? Again it's just one man's opinion. Even if he is respected. Secondly he obviously is not in the hardware business, as he simply expects Nintendo to jump on the graphics train with Sony and Microsoft and take a billion dollar loss. Anyone who's taken a business course knows the rules of business, there has to be two products on the market, the high end product, that's expensive but bought because of it's added value, and the cheap product that's bought because of it's price. Nintendo added to the mix a creative twist with motion controls, but ultimatly they can only survive in this industry by being the cheap gaming solution.
Uh, well, Spore is definitely high up there...pretty sure it's in the top 10. I definitely agree that it wouldn't be good for Nintendo to take a ride on the graphics train...being cheaper than the other consoles gives Nintendo a huge advantage, and with all the buyers the Wii will still get great games, despite its graphical and processing shortcomings.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

fooflexible said: In regard to his comments, who cares? People in the industry are more critical then the gamers because they deal with these systems. Remember Carmack the other week ripping Sony apart because of it's developer tools? Again it's just one man's opinion. Even if he is respected. Secondly he obviously is not in the hardware business, as he simply expects Nintendo to jump on the graphics train with Sony and Microsoft and take a billion dollar loss. Anyone who's taken a business course knows the rules of business, there has to be two products on the market, the high end product, that's expensive but bought because of it's added value, and the cheap product that's bought because of it's price. Nintendo added to the mix a creative twist with motion controls, but ultimatly they can only survive in this industry by being the cheap gaming solution.
I'm not so sure that is the only way they can survive ... Nintendo (probably) came to the realization that they can not win a "straight up" competition against Sony and Microsoft; this made them look towards changing the rules to suit them better. One of Nintendo's biggest strengths is that they can create games which maximize the use of their controller and are very intuitive and easy to use; thus they decided to focus on inovative controls on the Nintendo DS and Wii. I suspect the reason neither of these systems is as powerful as it could have been is because most third parties aviod risk and Nintendo would have difficulty convincing them to spend the money to produce an unconventional game ... At the same time, I think Nintendo realized that people would be willing to pay only so much money on a console which was untraditional ...