By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It BEGINS........SEGA Patents NEW Controller!

dsister44 said:
i thought it was a d pad

That would make two d-pads. No, it's an analog, somewhat similar to the PSP's analog by appearances but it may be completely different in actuality.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

oh i just glanced at it quickly i thought it was the xbox guide button as well too

New SEGA console imminent?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Looks like an arcade controller and if that's a Japanese patent I wouldn't be very surprised companies make odd add-ons, it could be anything from a plug-n-play controller for something like Nights, a controller for one of their new games, or an arcade pad that works with all the consoles ala motion controls as you see.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

At first look, it seems that the patent is just Sega’s original concept/design for the NiGHTS controller, but the patent was, apparently, filed “June 14th 2005″ and issued “February 10th 2009.”

Here's a few tidbits from what I know of filing for a patent.

1.  Drawing up a patent generally takes several months, minimum.  Of course, that is only after all of the research and design work is done.  That could be any length of time.  Most likely, this is something that began at Sega in 2004 or even 2003 (or earlier for that matter).

2. The first filing for a patent is always rejected.  Rejection does not come quickly though.  It will sit at the patent office for what could be months or close to a year.  After rejection, it needs to be revised and resubmitted.  Each revision is likely to take another few months.  When the patent is resubmitted, it will sit in the patent office for many more months, just like the first time.  This patent was probably rejected around three time, and that is why there is a large gap inbetween the filing and issue dates.

3. If Sega was going to unveil this, they could have safely done so after June 14, 2005.  That is because in patent lawsuits, the filing date is important, not the final issue date.

I personally think that this was just to finish up on some work that had already been completed.  I doubt anything will come of it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
I hate Sega controllers as much as I hate the original xbox controller. They aren't meant for sane humans much less our hands.

While its ok to personally dislike a controller...Sega Saturn controller is the best 2D controller you can get. most people think so...

All of the console makers have a bunch of patents they they filed for but never actually used in a finished product. This is probably just another one of those. My guess is that this was planned for a Dreamcast successor that never materialized, and the patent office has only just now gotten around to actually granting the patent.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

disolitude said:
dib8rman said:
I hate Sega controllers as much as I hate the original xbox controller. They aren't meant for sane humans much less our hands.

While its ok to personally dislike a controller...Sega Saturn controller is the best 2D controller you can get. most people think so...

dib8rman............

The Sega saturn control pad is the greatest pad of all time.

True Sega fans all over the planet agree on this.

Only non Sega fans dare to disagree with the above statement ^

Wow....cramp city.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

It looks very similar to the concept they pitched for "Air NiGHTS" which was the original concept for NiGHTS 2, that eventually became the Wii game. Air NiGHTS was supposed to be a game with a broader version of the Dreamcast controller which had a tilt-sensor.

Probably has nothing to do with anything, but it is an interesting glimpse into SEGA's inner workings.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.