By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thank you Sony for not ruining the PS4!

Rpruett said:
Soriku said:
Enjoy second/third place again, Sony.

If MS also do this I'm going to facepalm like 10 times. If they do, it would basically become a recreation of this gen where Sony and MS just claw at each other while Nintendo just sits there with the cash rolling. At least this time, the Wii 2 should get support from the beginning due to the Wii being the winner of this gen and al.

Not really.  The Wii mote craze will have worn off.  Nintendo got away with one this gen but it won't be sustained.

Did

Did you just go into "Wii is a fad" territory

Around the Network
Soriku said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
If this is true, how many third parties will actually make games for it? EA, Ubisoft, and Blizzardvision? Who else can afford to bleed that kind of money?

DelayEnix! Don't worry, they'll get out FF XIV in a century or two! :(

I've been to the future and I can assure you: in a mere several decades!

@Pristine: a formula to lessen human effort?

Xen said:
Soriku said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
If this is true, how many third parties will actually make games for it? EA, Ubisoft, and Blizzardvision? Who else can afford to bleed that kind of money?

DelayEnix! Don't worry, they'll get out FF XIV in a century or two! :(

I've been to the future and I can assure you: in a mere several decades!

@Pristine: a formula to lessen human effort?

It doesn't make sense to me either but the devs themselves voted for this so one can only wonder what they know that we don't. maybe their CEO's have been stealing money and blaming bankruptcies on gaming costs...who knows?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Xen said:
wfz said:
I don't understand, if development costs for devs are already so high that many developers and publishers are posting horrible losses and/or going bankrupt, then why would they want such a huge leap again? Wouldn't that just shoot their development costs up even more astronomically high?

Chasing perfection... and it'll lead to the death of the industry.

Maybe devs now have a secret formula for cutting costs. After all, they were the ones who filled out the poll.

That's exactly why I'm so confused about all of this.

Maybe the huge third party devs are trying to push out the smaller ones, buy them out, and form an Oligopoly? :P

wfz said:
Pristine20 said:
Xen said:
wfz said:
I don't understand, if development costs for devs are already so high that many developers and publishers are posting horrible losses and/or going bankrupt, then why would they want such a huge leap again? Wouldn't that just shoot their development costs up even more astronomically high?

Maybe devs now have a secret formula for cutting costs. After all, they were the ones who filled out the poll.

Maybe the huge third party devs are trying to push out the smaller ones, buy them out, and form an Oligopoly? :P

They have to be prepared. The Nintendo barbarians are at the gates, ready to destroy the industry. A united front is their only chance!

Around the Network
wfz said:

One of the reasons why the jump from SD to HD was very expensive is because almost everything had to be developed from scratch again. Developers needed to get used to multiple cores, new toolsets, new algorithms, etc. If the consoles remain fairly similar in architecture and come out with improved dev tools, the only big issue would be asset creation, and with most games going multi-platform, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Developers are already familiar with the new tips and tricks of the trade, they just need to apply them to higher quality assets.

At least, that's how I see it. I do see where you are coming from though.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Soriku said:

If MS also do this I'm going to facepalm like 10 times. If they do, it would basically become a recreation of this gen where Sony and MS just claw at each other while Nintendo just sits there with the cash rolling. At least this time, the Wii 2 should get support from the beginning due to the Wii being the winner of this gen and al.

Funny thing is WiiHD will be a lot stronger than the GCN -> Wii jump as HDTV will be standard by 2012. IT'll also have far greater third party support as the graphics should be comparable to that of the other two consoles and the Wii Remote/Nunchuk setup will be the standard controller setup. Obviously Nintendo will also further innovate with the controllers too as there has never been a generation that they haven't done so.

Wii MotionPlus will be built in or perhaps further refined and the online system will obviously improve. As will the storage space as with WiiWare and DSiWare it's obvious Nintendo is moving towards digital distribution. 

I'm not saying hey Sony making a powerful console is a mistake because there is clearly a market for that, I'm just saying that they can't possibly expect to take back market leadership if they're going to release another expensive multimedia hub. Perhaps not as expensive as the PS3 but it'll still be too much for many people.

Another thing is R&D cost related to the product. Sony cant afford to spend a heap of money on R&D right now so if they're pouring money into improving and creating another beast of a console. So expect another Dual Shock probably with motion control and a pointer shoe horned in.

IMO Microsoft are the only ones who can challenge Nintendo at all next generation. They have the money to build a powerful system that PC devs can easily port to and they also have the money to create a new casual friendly control system. Issue being that they won't make it their standard, it'll be an accessory, but they can still get closer to Nintendo's marketshare than they have this time.

this is great news. GO HD consoles. Im a graphics whore too :) but i o agree that a peripheral wii mote tye device to be used in specific games would be a good idea

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Soriku said:
Rpruett said:
Soriku said:

Not really.  The Wii mote craze will have worn off.  Nintendo got away with one this gen but it won't be sustained.

Who said anything about doing a Wii remote next gen? They could try something completely different. But say they make another Wii remote, I doubt it'd have "worn off".

Do you really think they will divert from their current cash cow?  Doubtful. Extremely doubtful.   Nintendo's effect this generation will have worn off because quite honestly their lack of games is stunning.

wfz said:
Pristine20 said:
Xen said:
wfz said:

Thats a possibility. It could be EA, Activision and Ubisoft that used overwhelming influence to make this poll reality. They might have convinced a lot of studios to follow suit. It doesn't make sense at all coming from the same devs who've been bitching about HD costs except they're hiding something.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler