By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thank you Sony for not ruining the PS4!

SHMUPGurus said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:
oh thank god the PS4 is not going to be wimpy and inferior like the Wii.

^ This.

Kind of.

^ That

Around the Network
jetrii said:
Phoenix_Wiight said:
90 dollar games and a 800 dollar console...

800 dollar console? You do realize that if Sony and Microsoft launch *right now* at $400 the leap between that console and the PS3/Xbox 360 would be larger than the Gamecube -> Wii, right? Heck, the Wii GPU doesn't even allow for programamble vertex shaders and other nice features which the Xbox 1 had.

The Playstation 3 was expensive because of Blu-ray and a completely new architecure which cost a lot to make and didn't have very high yields at first. Those things have been taken care off. Both Sony and Microsoft can launch at $299/$399 and still have themselves a powerhouse.

In the case of Sony, isn't that operating off of the assumption that they're going to eat a certain portion of the price right off the bat?

Thank you Sony and microsoft For existing,....

I don't understand, if development costs for devs are already so high that many developers and publishers are posting horrible losses and/or going bankrupt, then why would they want such a huge leap again? Wouldn't that just shoot their development costs up even more astronomically high?

If this is true, how many third parties will actually make games for it? EA, Ubisoft, and Blizzardvision? Who else can afford to bleed that kind of money?

Around the Network
jetrii said:

According to this, Sony surveyed developers on the possibility of doing a Wii style PS4 and the feedback was pretty negative. Developers don't want Sony to just marginally bump the specs of the PS3 and call it the PS4, they want another leap as large as the SD -> HD gen. This is a very big relief. Although some like the Wii, I think I would hang myself if Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all decided to release wimpy consoles. This essentially means that the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720 should be fairly powerful machines. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I'm a graphics whore.

There also seems to be a lot of PSP2 talk and more Larrabee rumors. However, that's for another thread...

Credit for this find goes to Rangers from B3D.

i lov graphics to man im feeling what your feeling...

wfz said:
I don't understand, if development costs for devs are already so high that many developers and publishers are posting horrible losses and/or going bankrupt, then why would they want such a huge leap again? Wouldn't that just shoot their development costs up even more astronomically high?

Chasing perfection... and it'll lead to the death of the industry.

Soriku said:
Enjoy second/third place again, Sony.

If MS also do this I'm going to facepalm like 10 times. If they do, it would basically become a recreation of this gen where Sony and MS just claw at each other while Nintendo just sits there with the cash rolling. At least this time, the Wii 2 should get support from the beginning due to the Wii being the winner of this gen and al.

Not really.  The Wii mote craze will have worn off.  Nintendo got away with one this gen but it won't be sustained.

Xen said:
wfz said:

Chasing perfection... and it'll lead to the death of the industry.

Maybe devs now have a secret formula for cutting costs. After all, they were the ones who filled out the poll.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Xen said:
Big relief? no.

Enjoy paying $90 for your games next gen.

This graphics and specs pursuit will kill the industry.

My thoughts.