By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thank you Sony for not ruining the PS4!

Rpruett said:

Objectivity isn't your strong suit is it?  

I don't care to debate with someone who is completely blind to the facts and general consensus.

The Wii is one of the best selling/worst software consoles ever created.  That's not me being anti-Nintendo.  I love Nintendo but their software lineups have been weak for quite some time.  There is a very logical reason for developers/people in general to not be overly excited for anything Nintendo releases.

There is a reason Nintendo gets the 'fad' title.  A lot of it has to do with selling well despite having very few good games and people buying nothing but shovelware.  

Historically speaking,  I don't think Nintendo has a shot in hell of being #1 next generation if they don't seriously upgrade in a lot of ways. The good news, is that since they live and die off of their video game investments the Wii might provide them with enough revenue to compete with Sony/Microsoft atleast for the next generation.

There is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to a qualitative measure of artistic merit, come off it. Even if I were balking at the critical consensus (and I'm not, not necessarily) that does not invalidate my statement - we are not obligated to agree with Metacritic or gamerankings in any fashion.

If you don't want to continue the discussion, I will gladly respect that, but do not think that you can get the last word in if you want to go down that particular road, because I will do my level best to prove my point.

And I'm sorry, if you characterize Wii owners as buying "nothing but shovelware" then I have trouble taking anything you say seriously.

Around the Network

If this is true...

If these developers still believe that by spending millions upon millions of dollars to make "semi-realistic" movies that just happen to have interactive scenes in them and last for only 10 hours seem to be a good idea...

Plus cost loads of money to play...

I'm officially getting out of the video game habit.

It has been nice playing video games and all, but I'm not paying all of this money just to play a few games when I could be getting more games for that kind of money...

I just hope that Nintendo doesn't get complacent and just ride on their success...it would be just SAD if Nintendo falls for the same mistake twice.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

jetrii said:

According to this, Sony surveyed developers on the possibility of doing a Wii style PS4 and the feedback was pretty negative. Developers don't want Sony to just marginally bump the specs of the PS3 and call it the PS4, they want another leap as large as the SD -> HD gen. This is a very big relief. Although some like the Wii, I think I would hang myself if Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all decided to release wimpy consoles. This essentially means that the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720 should be fairly powerful machines. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I'm a graphics whore.

There also seems to be a lot of PSP2 talk and more Larrabee rumors. However, that's for another thread...

Credit for this find goes to Rangers from B3D.

I suppose this needs addressing, too.

Nintendo has succeeded exactly by not giving developers what they wanted. Microsoft and Sony have fallen behind by catering to this particular sect of the developer community. Do you think they'll do it again anyway? What guarantee is this that Sony and Microsoft will still push for a huge technological leap?

Khuutra said:
Rpruett said:

Objectivity isn't your strong suit is it?  

I don't care to debate with someone who is completely blind to the facts and general consensus.

The Wii is one of the best selling/worst software consoles ever created.  That's not me being anti-Nintendo.  I love Nintendo but their software lineups have been weak for quite some time.  There is a very logical reason for developers/people in general to not be overly excited for anything Nintendo releases.

There is a reason Nintendo gets the 'fad' title.  A lot of it has to do with selling well despite having very few good games and people buying nothing but shovelware.  

Historically speaking,  I don't think Nintendo has a shot in hell of being #1 next generation if they don't seriously upgrade in a lot of ways. The good news, is that since they live and die off of their video game investments the Wii might provide them with enough revenue to compete with Sony/Microsoft atleast for the next generation.

There is no such thing as objectivity when it comes to a qualitative measure of artistic merit, come off it. Even if I were balking at the critical consensus (and I'm not, not necessarily) that does not invalidate my statement - we are not obligated to agree with Metacritic or gamerankings in any fashion.

If you don't want to continue the discussion, I will gladly respect that, but do not think that you can get the last word in if you want to go down that particular road, because I will do my level best to prove my point.

And I'm sorry, if you characterize Wii owners as buying "nothing but shovelware" then I have trouble taking anything you say seriously.

You don't have a point.  You have yet to make a valid point.  There is no quantifiable evidence to prove your point.  Just like I could sit here and say till I'm blue in the face that the Sega Saturn is the most advanced console ever released.  I wouldn't be right ofcourse but I could stubbornly stick to that assertion even in the face of being proven wrong.

You certainly don't have to take what metacritic has at face value.  But again,  you have absolutely no proof of the opinion that you hold.  If you really believe what you said (Which I really don't think you do),  you just have bad taste.  That's all there is to it.  You've stated in a very factual manner that the Wii easily has a better lineup in the first 27 months.  Yet you provide no proof at all.

Wii owners do buy quite a bit of shovelware.  As evidenced by their lack of quality titles yet solid software sales.  Hell, practically half the Wii games that I own are shovelware.

frybread said:
If PS4 is as ambitious as the PS3, it will be Sony's last console.

If the economy and credit markets remain in the toilet, the PS3 could be Sony's last console.

Around the Network

This was an enjoyable read guys, I appreciate the serious business that this thread has provided.

Now if you excuse me, I'll be playing my inferior product and yet somehow still able to have fun while doing it. Crazy talk I know, but someone has to do it. If you don't hear back from me, tell Pichu_Pichu that I didn't mean to throw the WiiMote into his television. It was an accident. Seriously.

@Rubang

I would hand you a blank check with my name on it for that game. Make it happen, and you will be a more wealthy man. I'd say rich, but then again, I'm a college student.

Rpruett said:
Khuutra said:

You don't have a point.  You have yet to make a valid point.  There is no quantifiable evidence to prove your point.  Just like I could sit here and say till I'm blue in the face that the Sega Saturn is the most advanced console ever released.  I wouldn't be right ofcourse but I could stubbornly stick to that assertion even in the face of being proven wrong.

You certainly don't have to take what metacritic has at face value.  But again,  you have absolutely no proof of the opinion that you hold.  If you really believe what you said (Which I really don't think you do),  you just have bad taste.  That's all there is to it.  You've stated in a very factual manner that the Wii easily has a better lineup in the first 27 months.  Yet you provide no proof at all.

Wii owners do buy quite a bit of shovelware.  As evidenced by their lack of quality titles yet solid software sales.  Hell, practically half the Wii games that I own are shovelware.

So are we not dropping the conversation? If we're continuing, just let me know.

pakidan101 said:
If these developers still believe that by spending millions upon millions of dollars to make "semi-realistic" movies that just happen to have interactive scenes in them and last for only 10 hours seem to be a good idea...

Haha exactly how I feel.  Somewhere along the way, developers forgot that we play games.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Khuutra said:
jetrii said:

According to this, Sony surveyed developers on the possibility of doing a Wii style PS4 and the feedback was pretty negative. Developers don't want Sony to just marginally bump the specs of the PS3 and call it the PS4, they want another leap as large as the SD -> HD gen. This is a very big relief. Although some like the Wii, I think I would hang myself if Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all decided to release wimpy consoles. This essentially means that the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720 should be fairly powerful machines. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I'm a graphics whore.

There also seems to be a lot of PSP2 talk and more Larrabee rumors. However, that's for another thread...

Credit for this find goes to Rangers from B3D.

I suppose this needs addressing, too.

Nintendo has succeeded exactly by not giving developers what they wanted. Microsoft and Sony have fallen behind by catering to this particular sect of the developer community. Do you think they'll do it again anyway? What guarantee is this that Sony and Microsoft will still push for a huge technological leap?

What's really funny about this is that you are basically arguing that graphics don't matter.  Yet Nintendo was big in the 'graphics' game until they got out-classed by wealthier competitors.  Innovation in this industry has been primarily driven by graphics. 

Nintendo has succeeded by having a low priced console initially that gained fad like popularity with certain aspects of it.  If we are looking at console sales at a historical level,  it is the statistical anamoly with the lack of software the Wii has.  The console version of the 'Perfect Storm' if you will. 

Sony and Microsoft pushed the HD generation envelope a tad too soon and came with too high of an entry point. The next generation will feature significantly lower development costs for game creation an expanded video game market audience as well as a userbase that will be almost primarily HD-ready.

You're using Metacritic? For shame!

Even without Katamari, the Wii's lineup is better and more diverse than the PS2's.

1. The Virtual Console (the greatest hits of gaming spanning most major systems of the 80s and 90s).
2. More games for girls.
3. More games for old people.
4. Point and shoot IR interface for better FPS controls (and better menu selections).
5. Tilt sensing for better racing controls.
6. The best exercise game ever.
7. Wii Sports.

There are 7 things that are better about the Wii's library. And it only took 27 months? GOT DAMN.